What's new

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Even though I wish this had an immersive track, I picked up the disc anyway because Die Hard is FLIPPIN' AWESOME!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Same as before.

The digital code also does not redeem in 4K.
That's a bummer. Do you know if the HDX stream is a downscale of the UHD stream, or is it the same HDX stream it was six months ago?

Too late for you but it's down to $17.99 at wally world.
Thank you for the heads up on this! I was going to hold off and wait for a better price, but I don't see it getting much better than this for a while now. And it had dropped 3 cents in price since you posted this.:)

I have HD copies of 2 through 4 but I never upgraded my "Five Star Collection" DVD of the first one from 2001. So even though I don't have a 4K setup yet, this future proofs me and still represents an upgrade from a 17-year-old DVD.

I rewatched the first four and saw for the first time the fifth Die Hard this Winter. I was impressed at how well the original aged: still an exceptional and genre-shifting movie. I was disappointed at how badly 2 and 3 aged for me. But the fourth, with Justin Long, was still really good, and even more relevant today (despite the overly ridiculous Harrier sequence). And the fifth...ugh.
The fourth one is my second favorite after the original, too -- especially the R-rated cut that restored the blood and foul language. Then the third one, with the second one bringing up the rear. We won't talk about the dreadful fifth one at all.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I want to like #3. The villain and plot are all good. But the ‘90s race politics and reverse racism schtick don’t work for me in 2018. YMMV.

But #4 is still aces. It feels die hard through and through. So much, that I wanted a Justin Long and Elizabeth Olson spinoff.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I would rate the DH films as follows by the way.

Die Hard
Die Hard 2
Die Hard 4
Die Hard 3
Die Hard 5

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Saw 45 minutes of this yesterday and was very impressed with the transfer.

Full disclosure: only checked into this thread because I thought the 20th Century Fox logo looked horizontally stretched. Glad I did. Question answered. :rolling-smiley:

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
The image on the front page with the link to this thread is from Die Hard 5 which is heresy of the highest order.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Haha, I never saw 5, but I did wonder why it clearly wasn't a picture from the original film.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Weird little audio mixing anomaly I noticed at 46:07- when Reginald VelJohnson slams his police car door which is on screen-right, the sound of the car door slamming comes from the left, on both the 5.1 and 2.0 tracks. The wonders of stereophonic sound!

Vincent

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Another half baked catalog title by Fox in the sense that they again failed to add a Dolby Atmos track that was already completed. They did this with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and The Revenant too.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Another half baked catalog title by Fox in the sense that they again failed to add a Dolby Atmos track that was already completed. They did this with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and The Revenant too.

Exactly. Its like the faction here who refuse to buy certain UHDs of older movies because the sound wasn't remixed to full-blown Atmos.

What? The stems don't even exist for a lot of these to do such a thing and all they have are mixdowns? Nope. No Atmos? No Sale!

Gentlemen, The State rests.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hey! I paid for all those speakers and I want them all to be used, even if it's a silent movie! (to paraphrase an argument by the full-screen, anti-black bars contingent of old). :D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don’t have a 4K tv yet but most of the 4K movies I’ve watched still work very well on my 4K player and old fashioned 1080p tv.

Die Hard isn’t one of them though.
Very dark and over saturated.
Well guess I have to wait until I get the new tv someday.

Oh and I forgot, it’s been so long since I’ve watched the movie I forgot that Huey Lewis was in this.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I don’t have a 4K tv yet but most of the 4K movies I’ve watched still work very well on my 4K player and old fashioned 1080p tv.

Die Hard isn’t one of them though.
Very dark and over saturated.
Well guess I have to wait until I get the new tv someday.

Oh and I forgot, it’s been so long since I’ve watched the movie I forgot that Huey Lewis was in this.
Ha. THat guy does looks A little like Huey. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks