What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Toy Story Redux (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im not planning on getting involved in HDDVD until its sorted out so I guess Im picking this up for improved video + the DTS track.

"It is 12/27/2005. Not 12/26/2005"

I thought they'd have TS2 out before Xmas, not after.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Hitting the after Xmas market may be nearly as profitable. People are returning gifts or have money/gift certificates and the schedule isn't as crowded as it is before the holidays. And heck, there is no bad time to release to release a popular Disney/Pixar movie on DVD:)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
As interested as I am in TS2 redux, I wish Di$ney and other BD-supporters would announce their slate of first releases already.

Mr. Harris, is this a general admonition, or do you have reason to believe that these films might be amongst the studio's first Blu-ray titles (and if so, could you perhaps share as much as you're at liberty to do so?)?

-p

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Yeah, waiting for the BR discs probably isn't a good idea seeing as the new formats will probably fail due to restrictive playback, consumer confusion, and lack of interest. So it is a likley scenario that those who have stopped buying dvds for the past year or so in order to pick up the newer formats will be left with obsolete discs within a matter of a year or two. But that's a whole different topic.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Again, speculation. We have UMD discs out there, not much confusion on those. When PS3 is available and Blu-ray players outnumber HD-DVD players 10-1 there won't be too much confusion about what format to pick.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Yeah, but what if average Joe wants title X, which is only available in HD DVD, and he only has a Blue Ray player? He buys the disc and it doesnt work, angering him and pushing him away from both formats.

And for every 1 person you know who wants high def dvds, I know 25 who think standard dvd is fine. Now I'm all for advancing technology AND high definition movies, but this isn't being handled the best it could have been, to say the least. We should expect more and we should demand more. I'm sitting this one out and sticking with standard dvds at least until one format dies off.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor

Doesn't matter to me if Disney doesn't capitalize on the Christmas shopping season but its a weird move for sure. This would be a prime stocking stuffer.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Since I process about 2-3 HDTVs per day I don't see how that's possible. My customers want HD discs.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Off topic.....

"And for every 1 person you know who wants high def dvds, I know 25 who think standard dvd is fine."
"Since I process about 2-3 HDTVs per day I don't see how that's possible. My customers want HD discs"

My G/F and I are the only people I personally know who have a HD television.That includes all the people I work with plus personal friends, neighbors,etc.

I know people who are still using Svideo and even worse - still using composite wires for their hookups.

I recently went to visit a friend in Florida and even though he had a DTS receiver and DVD player, he didnt have it hooked up properly, didnt understand how it worked, and had been listening to his DVDs in 2.0 stereo.

I fixed it up for him. The point is - alot of "average guy" out there is still clueless. People have gotten alot better with HT, but they still have a long way to go and I agree with those who say the Bluray/HDDVD mess will cause more confusion.

Im not holding off on any DVD I want,because I cant see myself investing in any HDDVD format any time soon especially with my cable company promising a upgrade in HD options soon.It would mean using 3 DVD players - a bluray,HD and my region free. That would mean buying a new TV for that many Component inputs and Ill be paying for the one I have for another 2 years.

Ill wait.

Back to Toy Story, I cant wait to see this and hear the DTS track.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I don't think the general pubic cares at bit about hi def DVD's. I liken it to DVD-Audio and SACD. Those have not really caught on because much of the public finds CD's to be fine and want to be able to download to their Ipods. I still don't think SACD and DVD-audio will be big. I think HD DVD has a better chance of being a big market, if they don't destroy it with format wars. I know I won't buy until they have either one format or a player that can play both.

SteveCallas

Second Unit

There are even people who buy component video to RF cable converters and use that. Point is, I'd say only about 20% of the population is really into AV, and most of us frequenct this and other similar forums.

Then you have people like my father, who would probably really enjoy better picture and sound, but find it too complex and stick with what they have been using for a long time and say, "Well, it's good enough."

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the best AV quality available, especially audio, but this is being handled all wrong.

I'm picking this dvd up for sure and I'd much rather pair it up with an upscanning Oppo and JVC HD-ILA than support the new formats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks