What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Toy Story Redux (1 Viewer)

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

It really depends on the feature. A featurette pulled from the EPK? Once, and that's it. A 1hr+ detailed documentary? Maybe a few times. Storyboards? Probably one pass thru. An interesting commentary that's as enjoyable as the movie? At least more than twice and I rather have a good commentary on a film than anything else.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I know where your coming from, Steve, and I tend to agree to an extent. I buy dvd's for the movie itself primarily, a top notch transfer and a kick-me-in-the-nuts audio presentation is really all a film lover could ask for.

Take your example, Steve, the Kill Bill films, outstanding films, but i'm not particularly bummed out that there is really nothing on the discs but those small featurettes, the films are awesome, but Quenten used very basic, old school styles in making them that make them not all that special to warrent too much interest from me on how they were made.

Films like The Lord of the Rings trilogy are the one's I want to see extensive documetaries on, they broke new ground in filmmaking and I want to see how that ground got broken.

Titanic is my next one, i'm dying to see all the stuff that'll be on it, i'll be finished with that in one weekend. :emoji_thumbsup:

In the end, I only double dip, and in some cases triple dip, when a new dvd has an improved transfer and/or audio, or is a directors cut and I keep the theatrical cut also for preservation purposes, extra's are nice, but at the end of the day they're just that...extra.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
If a second Toy Box is on the way, I really do hope they carry over ALL the features from the first set to make it complete. I'd feel silly having to keep two large box sets of the exact same films on my shelf. Especially since these new editions seem to make the old transfers obsolete. I'd really like to just go ahead and replace my Ultimate Toy Box with a definitive box set...

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

It is 12/27/2005. Not 12/26/2005. Just saw a trailer for the Toy Story dvd and at the end it mentions TS2 and it says the release date is 12/27/2005. The trailer I saw is on the Pom Poko & My Neighbors the Yamadas DVDs.

Anyway 12/26/2005 is a Monday.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Yeah, I double dip when the audio or video is improved - that has a direct impact on the film. I always check for deleted scenes - I consider that seperate from the normal run of special features. For some reason, the one deleted scene from a movie that sticks out in my mind is from Little Nicky when he asks a police man to get in his flask and the policeman proceeds to beat him with a night stick for a couple of minutes.

Anyway, back on topic, I will definitely be picking up the new Toy Story discs.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Well. I'm waiting for nr. 2 because I want Toy Story 1: 2 disc and Toy Story 2: 2 disc packaged together. Probably means I could them cheaper as well. I'm not holding on for ANOTHER boxset with 5 or 6 discs, I just wanna make that clear.

Chris Lanni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christopher
Does anyone get excited about this?

I realize that it is Region 4 from Australia, but it says that both discs are remastered for the 10th anniversary. I do not know the exact specs, anyways, or whether they are the same as the discs from the States.

Gods Love
chris

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
It's hard to believe it looks "that" much better to upgrade, especially since the hi-def stuff is so close. Personally, I'll wait for a hi-def version.

I don't do special features at all, they ruin the movie magic for me. I would much rather have "Superbit" style releases with the best A/V presentation and no extras.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
Yeah, right...

Anyway, I wonder how the half bitrate DTS track on this newest release of TS compares to the Laserdisc version from yesteryear.

greg_t

Screenwriter

I wonder the same. I may have to either buy or rent the new version as I have the DTS laserdisc.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Of course, I understand that with PIXAR releases at least the "extras" include some short films and what-have-you -- much more watchable from my point of view than the usual "making of". I did watch Side 4 of the Ghost in the Shell CAV LD edition once, but I'm not likely to do so again any time soon. Likewise, the production art on sides 5/6 of the Wings of Honneamise Japanese CAV box is nice, but I'm much more likely to just listen to the audio -- the Riuichi Sakamoto soundtrack album -- and leave the video shut off.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Wow. I had no intention of picking this one up since I have Ultimate Toy Box, but I'm impressed enough that I just might have to.

David Ruiz

Second Unit

Well it may or may not be a significant improvement over the last release, but only you can judge that for yourself once you have purchased the disc.

Nobody on here is forcing anyone else to buy the DVD. There are those who saw a tremendous improvement on the new release that they felt they had to tell everyone about it and I for one am grateful for that.

This release is not for everyone. People who never buy Superbits because they don't see the increase of detail are most likely not going to buy this new Toy Story and that's ok. But there are those of us who do upgrade every DVD we have, when there is a Superbit released and those of who do, will most likely get this new Toy Story DVD, because it is my understanding (from David Boulet's review) that this disc is Superbit-like in nature, meaning that there is an improvement in video and sound and it sounds to me like it's definitely worth buying.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Per Mr. Ruiz's comments, those with less than high end monitors will find no real difference between this release and Pixar / Disney's superb boxed set.

This release is also NOT recommended (no matter what its quality) for those who already own the title, AND who plan to be early adopters of high definition players and software.

RAH

Richard Hardbattle

Stunt Coordinator
I had a quick look at this disc last night, and, early on in the film, noticed a slight green line going down the right hand edge of the picture... I can only assume it's either my player or the projector - but I've not seen this before on any other discs. Straight after looking at Toy Story, I slapped in Sin City, with no problems.

I'll have a closer look later on and get some exact times.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Another thing that is worth pointing out here is that the mainstream consumer was probably a little bit confused by the Toy Story release plan in the past. You had the barebones 2-pack for $40, the single-disc versions for $30 each and the Toy Box for $70. Something with that multitude of releases probably detered some Average Joes from getting it. Whereas now there's one, single release and it's a loaded 2-disc set, which is a lot easier for people to warm up to than the excess of other versions. Plus, since all of the other versions are now out of print, this is a chance for those who missed the boat on them to get the movie finally -- so, while it is being marketed to the enthusiasts via the increased bit rate and DTS track, it is also being marketed to the average consumer and famalies better than it was before. So the reissue is justified, I think, because it's a lot wider in targeted consumer range than the others were.

I at least am grateful that it's coming back out because I didn't have the money to fork over $70 for the Toy Box, and the 2-pack (which I was going to settle for in leiu of the box) was gone by the time I got money for it (the months preceeding thier going OOP were extremely busy for DVDs for me.) So, I can't wait to finally retire my VHS from 1996 and own this one on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks