A Few Words About A few words about... Toy Story Redux

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    David Boulet has a keen eye, so after reading his comments about the 10th Anniversary two disc set release of Toy Story, I had to see this with my own eyes.

The short and sweet of it is that Mr. Boulet's comments are dead on.

Going back to the original digital files, Pixar has upped the digitally derived ante for DVD, with a new version which looks very much like what someone uninitiated to the high definition world might assume is just that.

For those who may not make the initial jump into high definition as it comes out of the box, and are now viewing on high end monitors, this may just be worth an upgrade.

I can't imagine a standard definition DVD ever looking any better. You have to see it to believe it.

Recommended.

RAH

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Man, the more I hear about this disc, the more I want it.

After David Boulet's review, I didn't think I needed any more incentive to upgrade and then I read that[​IMG]

3. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Upgrading this was always a slam dunk for me especially since I didn't buy the ultimate Toy Box, but posts like Robert's make it a slam dunk with authority to quote 1 famous sportscaster.

4. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

Personally, I'm going to wait until Toy Story 2 comes out to see if there'll be boxset with both movies.

5. Cory H.

Cory H. Stunt Coordinator

Chances are you'll be waiting 4 years for a "Toy Story 2" re-release, given the 10th anniversary nature of the originals release. Besides, by then, the 10th Ann. edition of "Toy Story" will be on an obsolete or totally different format then that of its sequel, considering TS2 will be on HD-DVD.

6. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

The original DVD has such a fantastic transfer that I have a hard time finding fault with it on my 51" HDTV.

I'm sure it is improved but is it worth upgrading when HiDef DVD is around the corner?

7. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Toy Story 2 will be out in due time along with the next promo for the new Pixar feature Cars...

RAH

8. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

It's still coming out in December, right?

9. Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas Second Unit

Yeah, every dvd of a Pixar movie is a slam dunk when it first comes out, even the overcompressed Finding Nemo. I bet it's even "approaching HD" and "like looking into a window" too. [​IMG]

10. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Well, Mark, at least your not bitter. [​IMG]

Is this really worth it compared to the UTB? I just want to be sure before I buy it, do a comparison with the UTB one and see no difference whatsoever.

11. LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey Second Unit

Having read the review, I see no reason to update my "Ultimate Toy Box" set. As mentioned, HD is coming, and the original TOY STORY is good enough until then.

12. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Shoukd we feel safe in purchasing these titles individually without concern of a more comprehensive packaging down the line; ie. boxset?

13. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Toy Story 2 Special Edition is currently schedule for release on 12/26/05.

14. Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas Second Unit

Just wait for them to be packaged together again.

15. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

I don't know how Pixar could do better than a 4-disc set (assuming Toy Story 2 is a 2-discer also). But I guess ya never know, A Toy Story Super Duper Toy Box could be in the works [​IMG]

16. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

I'd like to see screenshot comparisons between this edition and the Ultimate Toy Box.

17. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

Don't anybody take this the wrong way, it's an honest question, and I realize everybody has different opinions.

Why do some people get so hung up on special features? Honestly, how often will you watch the special features in relation to how many times you will watch the movie? How much do you enjoy the special features in relation to the film itself?

Maybe I'm weird, but only if I really like a movie will I bother to watch a making of featurette, and even then, I don't want to watch 3 hours worth. Twenty minutes about the theme and some interviews for me is just fine. For example, I LOVE the Kill Bill movies. A lot of people held out for a special edition because they weren't many special features on the initial releases (picture quality of volume 1 aside). But after watching the making of featurettes on both of those disks, what more could you want? Again, that's an honest question.

So how much more is to be expected out of a Toy Story box set that won't already be covered in a 2 disc set for Toy Story & Toy Story 2?

18. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

I can almost see Steve's point, but regarding the KILL BILL films specifically there's a huge amount of potential supplementary and contexual material I'd be happy to watch if they made it available on an SE release. I mostly remember the making of featurettes from the original discs as basically fluff and would like to see a much more in depth series of documentaries and commentaries. That approach wouldn't work for all movies but the KILL BILL films scream for it as far as I'm concerned.

19. Cory H.

Cory H. Stunt Coordinator

For me, it's just getting my moneys worth. I don't appreciate double, or in Disney's case, triple dipping. The "vault" is an evil, evil contraption, and once they go in there, it's every man for himself trying to fight supply and demand for Disney DVD's.

Some people swear by Superbit, some like to upgrade whenever a newer edition drops with new extras. It's all preference, but truth be told, I think the best extra that a disc could come with would be theatrical trailers, just because they are a sign of the times and hold nostalgic value, if nothing else.

20. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

It depends what those features are. The ones I most like - deleted scenes - I watch every time I watch a film. But yes, in the end it's the movie that matters for me, and I upgrade almost exclusively for improved picture quality, and (with the exception of deleted scenes, or director's cuts, etc.), never just because of new bonus features.