What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... To Kill a Mockingbird (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Even more puzzling when you watch the theatrical trailer for the film, in which the voiceover encourages moviegoers to "...bring your children." Ah, the wacky world of marketing.

I'm just glad that this truly wonderful film has received such a great DVD release from Universal, especially in light of the elements they had to work with. Personally I think that one of the most positive aspects of the popularity of DVD is that it's given studios the financial incentive to start performing much needed restoration work on many of the films in their vaults. Imagine the state some of these titles would be in if the resurgence in the home video market of the past 8 years had never taken place?

As always, thanks for all of the interesting and invaluable information you provide Mr. Harris!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
As great as LOA is and it is a gem, Mockingbird is one of those films that just sticks with you in a way that alot of films don't. No knock on LOA...just more respect for TKAM holding it's power for over 40 years.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Of the film's many, many merits, the opening title sequence for this film is truly one of my favorites...especially at the moment the main theme kicks in.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Indeed. I noticed that too. LOL.

Although, I don't recall hearing it via a voice-over -- I saw it in printed form on the screen during the Trailer, where a critic from some U.S. newspaper or magazine wrote "Bring your children" or "Bring the whole family" or something akin to that. Perhaps it's included in a voice-over as well. I cannot recall.

That quote immediately made me think of my earlier HTF comment here re. the "Not Suitable For Children" poster art. Strange indeed.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Universal is also really on top of it in their music division, where you can tell by some of the re-releases that they are not just out to please the accounting dept, but are true fans of music.

ie: blind faith, & velvet underground sets, the fairport convention(uk)remasters,etc...to name just a few.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Everytime I watch that opening title sequence it strikes a certain chord with me.

As far as suitable for children, I was a young boy when my parents took my siblings and I to see this film back in the winter of 1963. My recollection of that experience was fill with some fear, but also hope for us all.

Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

As the novel was chosen as the subject of my High School English Literature examination in the fall of 1972, I can honestly say that was my experience too. I failed miserably BTW, so, obviously, I chose a career in journalism...

Great book, great film.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have scans of a few publicity stills...is there any interest in seeing them here?

- Steve

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I love the look on Jem's face when he realizes that!

- Steve

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I first saw this film in a high school American lit class. The book was assigned for that particular quarter and the film was shown over a three day period after everyone had finished the book. It was amazing to see high school seniors react to a film so emotionally. The film became one of my personal favorites.

Last Spring when Gregory Peck/Atticus Finch became AFI's number one hero, my son wanted to know about the film. He knew I had a copy and wanted to know if he could watch it. I told him he could see the movie if he followed certain instructions. I had him read the novel last summer during school vacation and we discussed the questions raised and how he felt about what he was reading. I was suprised at how much of the subtext he picked up on ( he was 11 ). We had many long discussions. After he finished the novel, we sat down and viewed the movie. He reacted in the same places I did; Atticus shooting the dog, Mr Ewells cussedness, Tom Robinson's quiet honor, the black community standing as Atticus "passed", all things that still strike me as very compelling storytelling. The film has now become one of his favorites.

The new Legacy series dvd is great. I looked over the extras on disc 1 last night. Simply touching in how everyone seems to have no unkind words for Mr Peck. Can't wait to watch the documentary on his life.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I always generate a few tears at the end with Scout's narration of the gifts received from Boo. Same happens at the end when the reporter interviews Capt. Call in Lonesome Dove.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Ah, Lonesome Dove. I remember being glued to my television screen for the last half hour of that miniseries.

I've sampled Mockingbird. The presentation and features are great... what are you waiting for, get to the store while it's still on sale! Seriously, I'm going to write this review last, but it is going to rate fairly high. My focus for the next few hours will be The Deer Hunter which I've not seen for a number of years, but is showing potential in its newly remastered DVD form.

More to come...

- Steve

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I watched this for the first time last night....

I can't believe 42 years of my life has gone by
without ever knowing To Kill a Mockingbird

It's difficult to summon up words to fully describe
how taken back I was by this film.

As stated by other members here, there are so many
"moments" in this movie that just stick with you after
viewing. My favorite scene involves the "silent
passing" during the final moments of the courtroom
scene.

Gregory Peck's portrayal of an understanding
father who is not afraid to stand up for what he
believes is just -- is amongst the greatest
performances I have ever watched. There is such
a unique, soothing calmness to his character that
I have never witnessed in any role before or after.

What an outstanding film! Outstanding!

Today I am going to sit and make my way through
the supplements. I hope that perhaps there are
recent interviews from Mary Badham and Philip Alford
who played the children. It would be awesome to
watch and listen to their recollections.

If it weren't for Robert Harris and the rest of
the HTF membership going on and on about this film,
I would have otherwise completely neglected one of the
greatest films I have had the opportunity to watch.

Thank You!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'm glad you liked it, Ron. Of the discs I've had the pleasure to review so far here at HTF, it is the only one that has received my highest recommendation--not only for its awe-inspiring performances, but also for its high-quality presentation and breadth of supplements.

Yes, there even are recent interviews with Mary Badham and Phillip Alford!

- Steve

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

That's one of the biggest reasons that keeps bringing me back. My collection is filled with blind buys that I might have never considered if I hadn't read the glowing reviews here. I can't think of one that I regret buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks