What's new

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I, horror of horrors, did something I never do and used the Zoom feature when I watched it! I forgot it was on and watched the entire thing that way. I don’t think I missed any details, and there seemed to be plenty of dead space top and bottom in the old format here.

Last edited:

garypleace

Auditioning
Real Name
telecineman
Zack Snyder's Justice League is slightly more than a fan cut of a film that Warner Bros. gave an earlier release. The original version appeared way back in 2017 at a 120 minute running time.

With Snyder, the original filmmaker back in charge, the film has been given 4k, Dolby Atmos, an extended running time, and enough data throughput to warrant two 4k discs.

I viewed this earlier in the year - via HBO streaming, and the new 4k is night and day in it's appearance in projection.

Originally released in 1.85, the new cut is the proper 4:3, a new aspect ratio being used here for the first time. You'll note that it's far higher than it is wide, and allows for a rather different perspective than we've ever seen.

This cut runs 242 minutes - that's longer than Lawrence, GWTW or Ben-Hur.

Shot primarily in S35 in this 1.33 format, it appears magnificent in projection.

And I believe it's a good film.

Actually, a terrific film, demanding to view, and worth the investment.

A magnificently produced 4k release.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5

Very Highly Recommended

RAH
Real life exists as widescreen and not 4:3 but after a while i did get used to the black bars either side of the image

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
I’m totally fine with Snyder’s AR preference for his Justice League. It didn’t bother me at all and everything looked nicely framed to me.

Now if a filmmaker decided to take something shot in 2.35 or wider and then release it 1.33 via “pan and scan” because he just had a creative vision for that, then I don’t think id enjoy that. Can you imagine?!?

garypleace

Auditioning
Real Name
telecineman
An odd comment about a movie filled with comic book superheroes and villains who in no way do.
Ah what i meant by that comment was that our eyes natural field of vision is side-t-side ala widescreen. Old movies we readily accept in a square format but it's odd for modern films. If watching in IMAX that's ok but not for your home screens. My opinion, that's all!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I don't have an issue with AR - no matter what it is. I've seen poorly formatted WS films - things that I truly felt would look better in 4:3 with the extra space mostly wasted or used for "artsy fartsy" type shots that really didn't communicate anything other than a "Look how cleverly I formatted that shot" feel. And I've seen things in 4:3 that were just too tight (not P&S - just framed too tight).

Considering that you normally focus on what's "up front and center" a WS image is mostly wasted space. It primarily provides a place for your eye to wander at the point where you find the talking heads become boring to look at. Outside that it mainly helps action films by providing a bit more space for the action.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I don't have an issue with AR - no matter what it is. I've seen poorly formatted WS films - things that I truly felt would look better in 4:3 with the extra space mostly wasted or used for "artsy fartsy" type shots that really didn't communicate anything other than a "Look how cleverly I formatted that shot" feel. And I've seen things in 4:3 that were just too tight (not P&S - just framed too tight).

Considering that you normally focus on what's "up front and center" a WS image is mostly wasted space. It primarily provides a place for your eye to wander at the point where you find the talking heads become boring to look at. Outside that it mainly helps action films by providing a bit more space for the action.
Good framing is not necessarily "filling the screen;" sometimes, things will placed to the extreme right or left to suggest isolation or a certain POV. Sometimes, the dead space is in the centre, which makes you work to see everything, and also suggests a sort of "right hand is unaware of what the left hand is doing" in the mise-en-scene. Also, contrary to what has been discussed above, we don't see in "widescreen", but a properly placed wide frame can fill the field of vision, just like a large enough square-ish frame can do the same. For that "IMAX" effect at home for this one, either move closer to your display, or have a display that fills your field of vision. Most of us plebes will have to do the former.

ptb2017fr

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul Bale
I think it's a better film than the original theatrical version.
Far far far better. I though the theatrical version a bit like a series of short scenes thrown together. This version is a proper movie with characters developed and plot lines that make sense. Loved every minute of it!

Last edited:

sbjork

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
Far far far better. I though the theatrical version a bit like a series of short scenes thrown together. This version is a proper movie with characters developed and plot lines the make sense. Loved every minute of it!
Every single one of the characters fares much better in this version, especially Cyborg. He doesn't simply have an arc this time compared to in the Whedon version, but he's arguably the linchpin of the entire story. That was a pleasant surprise.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
image.jpg

Sometimes, it’s good to be a Canuck.

Christian T Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Taylor Lee
View attachment 112386
Sometimes, it’s good to be a Canuck.
It's always good to be a Canuck :)
I got mine yesterday too, digital code redeemed via Google Play/ Youtube.
Disc one is having issues playing on my 4K Samsung but I have not had a lot of time to investigate but will later on tonight after work.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It's always good to be a Canuck :)
I got mine yesterday too, digital code redeemed via Google Play/ Youtube.
Disc one is having issues playing on my 4K Samsung but I have not had a lot of time to investigate but will later on tonight after work.
I'll let you know how things go with my LG. The included Blu-ray is fine so far.

Christian T Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Taylor Lee
I'll let you know how things go with my LG. The included Blu-ray is fine so far.
Thanks Stephen, It plays fine on my 4K Sony player too. My Samsung is up to date with firmware, oh well, no big deal, I will return to Amazon for a replacement. And yes my Blu-ray's are fine too. Probably just a wonky disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Software Testing Training
Recent bookmarks