What's new

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I watched this on Christmas day when it came out on HBO Max. I thought it was terrible.
However, since I'm collector and have all the other shared DCU films, I ended up getting this on UHD.

I thought I might enjoy it more with the full 4k HDR bandwidth and real 7.1 soundtrack, vs. the stream.

I'm happy to say I did. The full quality and sound did help a lot with the spectacle, and knowing what I was getting into ahead of time helped me get past a lot of the flaws. The last 20 minutes is still cringeworthy, but it did play a lot better the second time.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I haven't watched GvK yet, but I'm reading lots of complaints about the volume being really low, such that even cranking it up on a receiver won't bring any life to it.
Huh. The HBO Max stream was pretty loud on my end.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
As I think another death from Covid-19 is the release of 3D films in theaters I suspect that this embarrassing mess of a movie will be the last blu-ray release for quite awhile I think we can sadly say this is the probably be the end of the mismanaged and much derided 3D TV era. R.I.P.
Oh they'll try again when Avatar 2 drops and the same five or six people here who cling to their 3Dtvs will scream "COMEBACK!".

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I watched this on Christmas day when it came out on HBO Max. I thought it was terrible.
However, since I'm collector and have all the other shared DCU films, I ended up getting this on UHD.

I thought I might enjoy it more with the full 4k HDR bandwidth and real 7.1 soundtrack, vs. the stream.

I'm happy to say I did. The full quality and sound did help a lot with the spectacle, and knowing what I was getting into ahead of time helped me get past a lot of the flaws. The last 20 minutes is still cringeworthy, but it did play a lot better the second time.

I have the UHD, but haven't watched it yet. Unlike some others, I didn't think this was a disaster of a film, but I wasn't altogether happy with it, either. But I suspect that, like some early MCU films, I'll probably enjoy it more after some re-viewings.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Nice looker! Anyone notice that the height channels of the Atmos are basically not there (very, very low)? Other than that it sounds amazing

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Since I had previously viewed Wonder Woman (2017) on 4K blu-ray I was looking forward to seeing Wonder Woman 1984. And even though I was hearing things about the movie I was hoping it was not as bad as I was hearing. This is definitely a movie that you ether liked or hated! While yes the disc is always better than the streamed version the look of the movie was not the issue. Watched on HBO-Max through my Frontier fiber connection of 150mb/sec up and down I found the video to look good and the sound to be not to bad considering it's Atmos core was lossy Dolby. I went out and purchase many titles to work on getting my Marvel movies on 4K disc. And while there are a number of DC titles I will want on 4K disc WW84 unfortunately will not even be one of them even if I wanted to compete a particular set. The same thing happened with the Fast & Furrious catalog where I purchase about ever title on 4K blu-ray. Even going as far as getting the stand alone movie Hobbs & Shaw but the only missing disc is Tokyo Drift which I really did not care for and only was purchased digitally because I got it dirt cheap. I just can not see myself getting WW84, Oceans 8 or Ghost Buster (2016).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I watched it with DTS Neural:X on my receiver which was a much better experience than the Atmos. Better to have those height channels doing something to earn their keep.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I feel bad for Patty Jenkins. She crafted a story, and screenplay (with help from Geoff Johns) that is sweet, has tons of heart, and just plain comic book fun, and the movie gets dogged, and laughed at by critics. If all comic book movies were this fun I'd be happy. And talk about a radical change in tone. I cannot believe the WW in Zack Snyder's JL is supposed to be the same character.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I played back WW84 using Auro as I also felt decoding in Dolby was not as good as using Auro. And it wouldn't surprise me that DTS-X worked out better as well.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
This movie, besides being a real turkey, had an awful Atmos soundtrack. Barely even surround! Ugh. If this is the lazy future of soundtrack mixes, count me out!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I received the 3D disc yesterday, so may give this a spin soon. Really debated if I even wanted it, but I had built up enough rewards points on a credit card to cover the cost, so it was sort of "free".

Amazon shipped it inside a huge box with another smaller box of potato chips. Not sure if they saved any money, as the outer box was nearly double the size of the chip box and the blu-ray was just tossed in. To their credit, I guess, they did add some paper packing material, so things weren't completely bashing around inside the huge box. Everything seems undamaged.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Amazon arguably has THE worst packaging logistics in the world. I can't tell you the number of times I've received a tiny item packed in a box 20 times its size, or have had multiple orders arriving on the same day delivered by two or three different drivers.

Anyway, I'd be curious to see how this 4K looks and sounds on-disc, but not enough to pay for it at current prices. Maybe I'll pick it up used a year or two down the road when it's dirt cheap.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Amazon arguably has THE worst packaging logistics in the world. I can't tell you the number of times I've received a tiny item packed in a box 20 times its size, or have had multiple orders arriving on the same day delivered by two or three different drivers.

Anyway, I'd be curious to see how this 4K looks and sounds on-disc, but not enough to pay for it at current prices. Maybe I'll pick it up used a year or two down the road when it's dirt cheap.
The chips are a regular subscription item every few months. Usually Amazon just slaps a label on the chip box and ships it without any additional special packaging. Seems like it would have been more cost effective to send it that way again, and put the disc into a separate envelope mailer, rather than paying the extra cost of a massive cardboard box and whatever it costs to ship a box that big.

I'm sure the directive from Amazon management is to group items into as few packages as possible, but in this case it doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I feel bad for Patty Jenkins. She crafted a story, and screenplay (with help from Geoff Johns) that is sweet, has tons of heart, and just plain comic book fun, and the movie gets dogged, and laughed at by critics. If all comic book movies were this fun I'd be happy. And talk about a radical change in tone. I cannot believe the WW in Zack Snyder's JL is supposed to be the same character.
You can say the same thing about Aquaman.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
As I said in another thread, the 3D for this movie was barely better than the fake 3D my TV can output, except for one or two instances. I am always trying to get my wife to watch 3D movies with me. She loves WW. After watching this one with me, she said she’ll never watch another.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
As I said in another thread, the 3D for this movie was barely better than the fake 3D my TV can output, except for one or two instances. I am always trying to get my wife to watch 3D movies with me. She loves WW. After watching this one with me, she said she’ll never watch another.
I'm glad to own it in 3D, and 4K. Both representations were great, and I love owning the movies I love in two different formats. Best of both worlds.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I watched it with DTS Neural:X on my receiver which was a much better experience than the Atmos. Better to have those height channels doing something to earn their keep.
I'll second that the DTS HD:MA track on the 3D disc plays well in Neural: X. It's no Dredd: 3D in that department, but the height channels are certainly lively.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks