What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I would think when looking over a release to do your initial posts on image quality you would check such issues as grain removal / DNR usage

It can be a deal breaker for buying it if Warner Bros just did another Goonies job. Some shots on that disc are just awful.
Not quite that simple.

While there IS grain, and it doesn’t seem to present problems, imagery almost appears too sharp for the era. There's something going on that doesn't make complete sense.

Possibly it's the Quaker Oats look.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I hope you're not implying there was some sort of a
1624465699395.png
going on ;)?
Star Trek Taxi GIF
;)!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I have this in my 4k player right now and think it looks great. I see ample grain and the picture seems more natural than the BD, which now looks a bit overly bright by contrast.

However, to my ears, the 4K's DTS-HD MA 5.1 track seems overdone compared to the BD's TrueHD 5.1 mix.

I noticed some roughness to dialogue and vocals during the candy shop dude's opening number, and it recurs occasionally.

Bass seems louder as well - probably a little too loud given the source.

I don't hear tremendous differences between the 2 soundtracks, but the new one seemed "off" enough to prompt me to do A-B comparisons.

The TrueHD is more subdued, so I feel like they cranked the treble and bass a bit on the DTS one.

It's fine most of the time but a bit rough around the edges...

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Disagree. I think Goonies looks terrific in 4K. Best it’s ever looked Imo.
There are moments when they apply DNR heavily. One moment is when the kids are in the kitchen.

I still would watch the 4K over the blu, but it’s not the best it could be.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Disagree. I think Goonies looks terrific in 4K. Best it’s ever looked Imo.
IMO, I think some people are bother more about DNR issues than probably most of the viewing public. I can't quantify that assertion, but it's my opinion.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are you projecting onto a large screen (120 inches +)?
That's an issue as I think studios cater their video presentations to those watching these movies on smaller screens such as OLED. It shouldn't be that way, but I think it's a conscious effort on their part to make their discs look beautiful on such screens.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Regarding the Paramount opening logo, a member over at the blu-ray.com forum stated his copy the logo fades in and out for about 6/7seconds.

RAH - I wonder if you had an equipment hand shake issue where the signal was delayed a little and once the image popped up the logo was already on the fade. I know some discs do this to me and I have to hit the back button or it goes over an opening music cue a tad.

either way hopefully based on another's comment it is truly there and not a QA issue.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
That's an issue as I think studios cater their video presentations to those watching these movies on smaller screens such as OLED. It shouldn't be that way, but I think it's a conscious effort on their part to make their discs look beautiful on such screens.
I am aware of that, which is why I always try to explain how I watch films, if they do not look good to my eyes. In my work flat, I often watch DVDs rented from the local library on a 32 flat screen panel. The picture quality between a DVD and a blu-ray is almost identical to me, under those viewing conditions. I'm actually quite surprised at how good a DVD can look on a smaller screen. Likewise, just about anything I stream looks good on a small screen. However, viewing films at home with a 4K projector onto a 130 inch screen from a UHD can reveal a picture quality rather different from what reviewers are saying. We were three friends who watched the Lord Of The Rings trilogy together in February, and both my friends agreed with me that they were the worst of the 4K UHDs picture wise, that I had screened that week. Seen from a projector onto a large screen, they were certainly not reference-quality. The worst aspect was a noticeable degraining of the first film, which removed fine details which normally would be clearly visible - e.g. the leaves on the trees when Frodo first meets Gandalf. Anyhow, I will see for myself how Willy Wonka looks, when it is released next week!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am aware of that, which is why I always try to explain how I watch films, if they do not look good to my eyes. In my work flat, I often watch DVDs rented from the local library on a 32 flat screen panel. The picture quality between a DVD and a blu-ray is almost identical to me, under those viewing conditions. I'm actually quite surprised at how good a DVD can look on a smaller screen. Likewise, just about anything I stream looks good on a small screen. However, viewing films at home with a 4K projector onto a 130 inch screen from a UHD can reveal a picture quality rather different from what reviewers are saying. We were three friends who watched the Lord Of The Rings trilogy together in February, and both my friends agreed with me that they were the worst of the 4K UHDs picture wise, that I had screened that week. Seen from a projector onto a large screen, they were certainly not reference-quality. The worst aspect was a noticeable degraining of the first film, which removed fine details which normally would be clearly visible - e.g. the leaves on the trees when Frodo first meets Gandalf. Anyhow, I will see for myself how Willy Wonka looks, when it is released next week!
I don't have the LOTR 4K discs so I can't say how they look on my 65" or 55" OLEDs. I'm waiting on the rumored ultimate 4K release to buy them. With that said, I have sampled the LOTR 4K digitals on my OLEDs and they look great to my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks