What's new

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I thought that commentary was pretty terrible. From my review:

"Apparently Schmader runs annotated screenings of the flick during which he chats about it as it proceeds. I guess he saves the good material for the paying customers, as his commentary seems less than scintillating.

Expect almost no information about the film’s creation. Schmader tosses out a handful of remarks about some cut sequences as well as Verhoeven’s motivation and that’s about it. Otherwise he simply snickers at the movie and makes fun of it.

That’d be fine if he offered more entertaining statements. His cracks tend to be fairly lame and obvious, and he also fails to speak much of the time. Schmader remains silent during the vast majority of the film. I don’t know if that’s good or bad; since what he says seems so pointless, I can’t imagine this painful commentary would fare better if he talked more frequently. Anyway, skip this dud unless you can’t live without a screening of Showgirls narrated by a mostly unfunny MST3K wannabe."
“Don’t mince words, Bones. What do you really think?” :lol:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Sony doesn't let licensee's do transfers, so Arrow had nothing to do with this master (other than encoding the disc.)

I am fully aware of that. But they still need to work something out so that it gets released with a licensee or it will end up unreleased like a bunch of other titles that are not yet available on UHD disc.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
I am fully aware of that. But they still need to work something out so that it gets released with a licensee or it will end up unreleased like a bunch of other titles that are not yet available on UHD disc.
Oh, my bad. I misread what you meant. I thought you meant Sony worked out a deal to use Arrow's transfer for a DCP.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Oh, my bad. I misread what you meant. I thought you meant Sony worked out a deal to use Arrow's transfer for a DCP.
No problem, I am sure that some people think like that.

I always have to laugh a bit when I read that Criterion should take on some kind of movie that would be extremely expensive to restore because they do such great work. As if their business model would entail sinking substantial 6 digit sums into the restoration of their releases.

UHDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I see the early region 1 DVD had the movie in full screen as an extra.
Can anyone point out if it is open matte?
I'm just asking ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceriano
Recent bookmarks