What's new

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I just got around to watching the 4K today. It looks great, but I have a question: Is it my imagination or does Baby Herman have a different voice in the scene where he’s outside Valiant’s office? I’ve seen this movie many times over 34 years and it sure sounded different to me. Of course, it’s entirely possible I’m misremembering. Curious what others think.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
So, which DVD or Blu ray version of this movie is most faithful to the original theatrical release "warts" and all?

I guess the UHD. It certainly is the most faithful-looking home release. The cranked-up gamma from the first Blu-ray is gone, and even though the VFX shots have some grain management applied, it's not too bad. The Atmos track is a bit near-fielded, but it's carefully done and sounds pretty good for the most part.

If you mean the "censorship," it's pretty much the same across the board. There are three short bits that are altered: Betty Boop's wardrobe malfunction, Baby Herman's finger, and Jessica's camera flash. The first has never been included in any home video release, and the other two have been gone since the 2nd laserdisc. And the remastered DVD, Blu-ray, and now the UHD have those alterations done much more subtly than the 2nd LD and initial DVD. I've seen the film countless times over the years on multiple formats (including 35mm), and if I hadn't read about the changes, I don't think I would ever have noticed.

Anyway, all that is to say, the UHD is probably the best and closest we're ever going to get. Hope that helps!

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I guess the UHD. It certainly is the most faithful-looking home release. The cranked-up gamma from the first Blu-ray is gone, and even though the VFX shots have some grain management applied, it's not too bad. The Atmos track is a bit near-fielded, but it's carefully done and sounds pretty good for the most part.

If you mean the "censorship," it's pretty much the same across the board. There are three short bits that are altered: Betty Boop's wardrobe malfunction, Baby Herman's finger, and Jessica's camera flash. The first has never been included in any home video release, and the other two have been gone since the 2nd laserdisc. And the remastered DVD, Blu-ray, and now the UHD have those alterations done much more subtly than the 2nd LD and initial DVD. I've seen the film countless times over the years on multiple formats (including 35mm), and if I hadn't read about the changes, I don't think I would ever have noticed.

Anyway, all that is to say, the UHD is probably the best and closest we're ever going to get. Hope that helps!
I was going to say the first laserdisc. There's also one other thing I can think of reading about that I don't think has ever made it to home video from the original theatrical release, which was one of the Disney exec's phone numbers (possibly Eisner, himself?) was in the graffiti of the Toontown bathroom that Eddie falls from. It got scrubbed when someone noticed it.

Sort of like the similar situation from Bruce Almighty where they changed it to a "555" number with some terrible voice-over for the video release.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I was going to say the first laserdisc. There's also one other thing I can think of reading about that I don't think has ever made it to home video from the original theatrical release, which was one of the Disney exec's phone numbers (possibly Eisner, himself?) was in the graffiti of the Toontown bathroom that Eddie falls from. It got scrubbed when someone noticed it.

Sort of like the similar situation from Bruce Almighty where they changed it to a "555" number with some terrible voice-over for the video release.

The phone number thing was apparently just a rumor. There are scanned images from a 35mm print floating around that have no phone number there. I guess it's possible that it was on the very earliest prints, but there's probably no way to tell for sure at this point.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I wanted to ask something those that have the disc.
Does it retain the original logo of Touchstone pictures or not?
If I remember correctly the music starts simultaneously with the logo, doesn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks