What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I read other's reviews after I screen a film, and Brian Tallerico's (for Rogerebert.com) thoughts on Whiplash tell it beautifully.

""Whiplash" is cinematic adrenalin. In an era when so many films feel more refined by focus groups… it is a deeply personal and vibrantly alive drama. Damien Chazelle has taken a relatively staid subject like the relationship between a music student and his teacher and turned it into a thriller built on a brilliant undercurrent of social commentary about what it takes to make it in an increasingly competitive and cutthroat world… Carried by two electric performances, the tightest editing in a film this year and a daring screenplay that writes itself into a corner and then somehow finds an unexpected way out, "Whiplash" is as breathless as a drum solo, rising and falling just as the hopes and dreams of its protagonist climb and crash.

The film is also a magnificent 4k Blu-ray from Sony, shot digitally on an Alexa, and based upon a 2k DI.

Dolby Atmos comes to the fore. A personal favorite process.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure I'll be in the minority in this opinion, but both Whiplash and Chazelle's other film LalaLand suffer from deeply self-occupied and unlikable lead characters who have no time for social graces or manners because they're ARTISTS!!! Having said that, the music recording and mixing in Whiplash is an absolute triumph.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I read other's reviews after I screen a film, and Brian Tallerico's (for Rogerebert.com) thoughts on Whiplash tell it beautifully.

""Whiplash" is cinematic adrenalin. In an era when so many films feel more refined by focus groups… it is a deeply personal and vibrantly alive drama. Damien Chazelle has taken a relatively staid subject like the relationship between a music student and his teacher and turned it into a thriller built on a brilliant undercurrent of social commentary about what it takes to make it in an increasingly competitive and cutthroat world… Carried by two electric performances, the tightest editing in a film this year and a daring screenplay that writes itself into a corner and then somehow finds an unexpected way out, "Whiplash" is as breathless as a drum solo, rising and falling just as the hopes and dreams of its protagonist climb and crash.

The film is also a magnificent 4k Blu-ray from Sony, shot digitally on an Alexa, and based upon a 2k DI.

Dolby Atmos comes to the fore. A personal favorite process.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

RAH, do you have the UHD for Chazelle's most recent movie First Man? I would love to hear your take on that disc given the variety source film formats that it used. It also has a truly extraordinary Atmos soundtrack.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks