What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Where the Boys Are -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Back in December of 1960, when it was released, Henry Levin's Where the Boys Are, was the perfect teen date film.

One of the reasons that it worked, may have been that all of the leads weren't far from college age. They ranged from the youngest (Yvette Mimieux - 18) to the "eldest," Jim Hutton, who was 26.

More important, their performances seemed honest and generally "untainted."

The film introduced us to Paula Prentiss, and featured a wonderfully appealing, 22 year-old Dolores Hart, who left her career in film shortly thereafter, dedicating herself to a more important calling.

It remains a fun film, over half a century later.

Seeing it today, via Warner Archive's superb new Blu-ray, I realized things for the first time, that I'd not noted when I saw it as a 15 year-old.

Although it ostensibly takes place in Fort Lauderdale, what was then (and may still be) the collegitate Spring Break capital of the United States, except for exteriors, it was shot back in the studio in Culver City. One scene with Chill Wills, used the back of the Thalberg building as a location.

See if you can figure out what is shot where.

This is another perfect Warner Archive release, and for those who have never seen the film in all its wide-screen glory, this is your chance.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
<--- As a then-new resident of Fort Lauderdale (whose parents wouldn't permit this 11 year old seeing the movie when it premiered there -- I caught up with it later), I was always disappointed in the surprisingly small amount of actual location footage. That factor notwithstanding, my affection for the film, and for the real place of the early 1960s, lives on.

It was especially gratifying when some recent musical activities brought me into contact with a uniquely wonderful person -- the then-22 year old who'd made the sudden and dramatic career change.

Can't wait for this. My last viewing was when the DVD was first released, and I jumped on the pre-order immediately. Great to read RAH's comments about it.

Last edited:

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Wonderful AFWA again by RAH.

The ages of the cast issue gives me another interesting angle to explore in comparing WTBA-60 to the WTBA-84 remake. Gotta look into that.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
On December 8, 1960, I turned thirteen, had my Bar Mitzvah, and just a couple of weeks later took Betty Breemer, a junior high school girl I was fond of, to the Four Star Theater on Wilshire Blvd. near La Brea in Los Angeles (the Miracle Mile) to see Where the Boys Are. We sat in the back row and during the film I had my very first kiss (yes, I know that's quaint these days, but back then very few thirteen year old boys were interested in girls, and certainly they weren't kissing them - oh, how times change). So, I've always had a special place for Where the Boys Are. Postscript: Two years ago Betty found me on Facebook. Go know.

notmicro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark M
Wow this is great - has long been on my Blu wish-list. A fun, popular, and influential film in its time; although I think that the section with Barbara Nichols kind of drags - "What lungs!". A favorite snarky hipster review of a revival theater showing described it as "contains all the role-models needed for life".

Now if we could just get a Blu of A Summer Place (1959); my favorite micro-review describes it as "a farrago of bad taste" - and how dare they say that about a film where the closing shot features a boat named "RANDY I" pulling away.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Harris, your review has just whetted my appetite even more for a blu ray that I was already salivating over. But you neglected to mention one of the key elements of the film's success: Connie Francis. Although she got " and introducing" billing, at the time of the film's release, she was arguably the biggest name in the cast and her rendition of the title song was a factor in bringing people into the theater. Still surprised that it never even got a best song Oscar nomination although ironically Francis sang the 1960 best song winner Never On Sunday on the Oscar telecast that year.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Harris, your review has just whetted my appetite even more for a blu ray that I was already salivating over. But you neglected to mention one of the key elements of the film's success: Connie Francis. Although she got " and introducing" billing, at the time of the film's release, she was arguably the biggest name in the cast and her rendition of the title song was a factor in bringing people into the theater. Still surprised that it never even got a best song Oscar nomination although ironically Francis sang the 1960 best song winner Never On Sunday on the Oscar telecast that year.

My few words cut a narrow field of discussion, beyond the tech, leaving many subjects on the table for staff reviewers.

In many cases, I never bother to note the cast.

As a teen songstress, the diminutive, 21-year-old Ms Francis, and her soulful voice, fit in nicely with the rest of the cast, and served the intended purpose well.

She appeared in four films, over a five year period. None beyond our present subject matter, worth discussing. Her singing abilities have been heard on numerous film's soundtracks, far outshining her acting abilities.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
On December 8, 1960, I turned thirteen, had my Bar Mitzvah, and just a couple of weeks later took Betty Breemer, a junior high school girl I was fond of, to the Four Star Theater on Wilshire Blvd. near La Brea in Los Angeles (the Miracle Mile) to see Where the Boys Are. We sat in the back row and during the film I had my very first kiss (yes, I know that's quaint these days, but back then very few thirteen year old boys were interested in girls, and certainly they weren't kissing them - oh, how times change). So, I've always had a special place for Where the Boys Are. Postscript: Two years ago Betty found me on Facebook. Go know.
Two things:

1. Thank you for the reminiscence. I love it when people share the connections to the films we collect.
2. Thank you for teaching me something today. I just assumed you made a mistake for "go figure" instead of "go know". But I looked it up and found that it is from the Yiddish phrase "geh vays". I also found this interesting William Safire article.

So thank you twice over. Go figure.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
And THIS is one of the many reasons I love this place and all of our tangents. Where ELSE are you likely to find Bill Safire mentioned in a discussion of WHERE THE BOYS ARE? :)
Go figure.

Here's another: "Have a look. Give a listen."

Or as one of the main characters in "My Twentieth Century" (a great Hungarian film from 1989 that is available on Amazon.UK in a region free Blu-Ray) likes to say: "So much for curiosity."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks