What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Warcraft -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's seldom, especially with huge-budgeted productions, that I'm totally unable to get into a film, at least on some level.

Warcraft, a reported 160 million dollar affair, directed by Duncan Jones, seems to be the anomaly.

Trying to view this nicely rendered Universal production, via 4k UHD / HDR, I was seeing and hearing (Dolby Atmos audio), a terrific presentation.

But I was unable to get myself to care.

The feeling was one of playing a new game, controller at the ready, and waiting for the cinematic prologue to end.

Only it never did.

A nice presentation on 4k, with a superb Dolby Atmos track, but what of it?

I'm unable to come up with any other positives.

I recall David Lean, whilst accepting his AFI Award, making note to studio execs in the room, to please be more creative, and "stop coming out of the same holes."

Cinema is most dependent upon story, screenplay.

We're being inundated with usually highly successful super-hero productions, that spawn more of the same.

Some fine films finding their source in graphic novels.

And then there are those that attempt to bring video gaming to the big screen, few of which have found success.

Sorry to be pessimistic.

Hopefully, fans love it.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I agree it takes the right personality to enjoy this movie. It was laying the ground work for the future installments that may not come do to its poor showing.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I played World of Warcraft for about 10 years. Straight, and in one sitting, it seems, after having left that behind and discovered other curious things, such as exercise.

This movie bored and confused me, even though I knew where they were most of the time. I've picked enough Khadgar's Whisker from the newb zones to at least recall the name, battle Moroes and lose chess matches to a cheating Echo of Medivh in Karazhan, and use that neat gryphon flight path into Stormwind before I rolled Horde.

I kept wanting to check character's gear and level in this movie, because God knows there wasn't anything else of interest here. I was somewhat entertained for a moment when a guard was sheeped by the Mage, but I'm sure that levity was an accident on the part of the film makers.

I will say a few positive things about Warcraft: The Beginning. There will probably never be a sequel. There are hardly any load screens. And there is only one cut scene. Feature-length, I'll admit, but definitely skippable.

The mumbly, digitally color-corrected half-Orc/half-Draenei/half-Human/all-Woman was surprisingly expressive and also rather fetching. But then I remembered all the times I thought the exact same thing whenever I caught a Night Elf girl dancing on a mailbox in town.

I've felt more thrills browsing the auction house than anything in this film.

Speaking of the auction house... Ever encounter a surprisingly rare item for sale at a price that was missing a few zeroes by mistake? And then once you bought it out, the seller would message you a minute later, begging for it back, crying, finally complaining to your guild leader? Then you'd realm-transfer to avoid him altogether?

Duncan Jones is that guy.

/w DuncanJones pleeeeease can I have it back?!?!?

No player named DuncanJones is currently playing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks