What's new

A Few Words About A few words about…™ Victor and Victoria – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I love discoveries.

This one, courtesy of Kino, is a 1933 gender bender of sorts, that if all things ring true, will be copied by an American entity, turned into English, and become a huge hit, rather like Let the Right One In.

Actually, the French beat any interlopers to it, with the 1934 version, Georges et Georgette, directed by Roger Le Bon and Reinhold Schunzel, with Mr. Wohlbruck, once again appearing.

Released toward the end of the Weimar Republic, just before Hitler came to power.

As directed for UFA, the extraordinary German production entity, by Reinhold Schunzel, and starring Renate Muller and Hermann Thimig, it also offers the wonderful Adolf Wohlbruck.

The preserved film element used as the basis of the release, appears to have been a 35mm print, with beautifully rendered densities. Lovely gray scale, grain, occasional (what have become known on the inter-web) as age-related damage. But never anything that interferes with the pleasure of viewing this beauty.

Once it's been out a few weeks, we'll probably see Disney announce a part human - part digital version, a musical, of course, possibly followed by a live theatrical version.

Probably on ice.

I'll relate nothing about the story, as it should be a pleasant surprise.

Image – 4

Audio – 4

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD - I'm unaware of a domestic release

Highly Recommended

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks