What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Variete -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've viewed E.A. Dupont's Variety numerous times over the decades, usually in 16mm public domain prints, beginning in film school, but have never seen it looking anything like it does in Kino's new Blu-ray.

Derived from 35mm elements, and with beautifully rendered tinting, cinematographer Karl Freund's comes to life, as it has not in recent memory.

For anyone with an interest in film history, especially the silent era, this new release is essential viewing.

Image - 4

4k Up-rez - 4.25

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I was just wondering if there is any documentation on what the proper film speed should be for this title? According to IMDB there are two running times 72 minutes or 112 minutes at 18fps.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Thanks Mr. Harris for the recommendation. I was holding off on buying this, as I wasn't sure what condition it might be in. I saw VARIETY at MOMA a very long time ago, like 40+ years in what I think was an excellent 35mm print, and I was completely stunned by the images in this film from the very first shot, both in terms of the lighting as well as the mobility--I seem to remember the film is about trapeze artists, and the camera swings through the air as they do, in fact, the camera never seems to stop, and I also recall a sense of intimacy, in terms of characterizations as well as the visuals--so if it's even half as good as I remember, I am going to have to pick this up. But the images in this film are kind of awe inspiring, like a series of Degas charcoal sketches come to life.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Watched the Kino Blu-ray tonight. Great film. Visually stunning. Expertly told.
The Berklee Silent Film Orchestra does a smart and excellent score.

You could 'push-this-silent-film' on just about anyone and instead of being angry they would thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks