What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I’ve a feeling that V for Vendetta, James McTeigue’s thriller, is for some, a love or hate it kind of thing.
I’m a fan, and Warner’s new 4k Blu-ray, based upon a new 4k scan and DI, makes it an even more exciting film to watch, and especially with Dolby Atmos, to hear.
Gorgeous solid colors, wonderful blacks, and enveloping shadow detail create a wonderful presentation of a new uprising against a tyrannical state in the UK, with a history borrowing its origins from Guy Fawkes.
Of the many faux 4k releases out there, this is one that uses the technology for good and not evil.
For those who may be confused, the filmmaker spells his name differently from the famous dentist, and as far as I’m aware, is not related.
Image – 5
Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)
Pass / Fail – Pass
Upgrade from earlier Blu-ray – Yes
Highly Recommended
RAH

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Wait...there’s a famous dentist? Prior to the theatrical of this movie, I had never seen the famous mask. Is the design original with this movie?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks Robert. What a great film. I believe this is easily one of Natalie Portman's best performances if not the best. I can't wait to get my hands on this 4K release!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Looking forward to this, this week! One of my favorite films of the last 20 years.

Reactions: PMF

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm a big fan of this film and honestly never understood why it wasn't a bigger hit, but hey, my tastes in movies have never been the weathervane for pop culture winds. :emoji_shrug:

Also we need a male shrug emoji. That is all. :lol:

Can't wait to get my copy!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I can not wait to get this film on 4K blu-ray!

v for vendetta.jpg

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Watched this last night (or earlier) and thought this disc looked great! I really like this movie but hadn't watched it in 11 years! Well, I think it holds up very well and is even more relevant today.

I'm hoping Speed Racer is next. :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
We watched it last night as well, on the 5th of November, naturally! It looks fantastic and the Atmos audio is great as well. Both Hugo Weaving, acting through a mask for the entire film, and Natalie Portman are wonderful. GREAT movie!

harync

Agent
Real Name
Harrison
I’d not noticed that. Is there a connection?
The original graphic novel was written in the 1980s as a criticism of Margaret Thatcher. I did not contain the virus subplot and instead took place after World War III had destroyed much of the world except the UK. In my eyes, the virus was a clever way to simplify some of the narrative. Amazing how prescient that choice was.

Also, I'm still not understanding the comment about "Faux 4k." If it is a new 4k scan of the original camera negative, how is it faux? Apologies if I'm missing something.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I asked one by it’s fallen by the wayside. I’ll give it another go. Is that classic mask original to this movie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks