What's new

compson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Beaver has the simulation disclaimer + you can adjust your 4k player or TV to make the image look like an episode from the Twilight Zone if you want. The details are there even in Maria's black dress.

View attachment 115896

View attachment 115898
I’m not talking about a loss of shadow detail. I’m referring to Frankenstein and the loss of detail in the actors’ hands and the reeds against the background of the lake. I’d love to discover that I can tweak my settings to get greater detail, but I’m seeing what’s demonstrated on the capsaholic site.

Trancas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric
I’m not talking about a loss of shadow detail. I’m referring to Frankenstein and the loss of detail in the actors’ hands and the reeds against the background of the lake. I’d love to discover that I can tweak my settings to get greater detail, but I’m seeing what’s demonstrated on the capsaholic site.
I wasn't responding to your post - it was about how dark 4k Wolfman is. But wow - those 4k Frankenstein screenshots on Capsaholic are horrible compared to the blu-ray. The actual 4k disc looks that bad? These are crops from the lower center of frame:

UK Blu-ray.jpg

US4k.jpg

If you click on one of the images you'll go into the forum viewer and you can compare the images one after the other. It's obviously the same film frame that Capso. has compared in both formats, as water ripples are identically placed and hands are in the same position. However the grain on the 4k is fake - it isn't the same as that on the blu-ray (it's completely different).

Why would they have processed away the detail on the original 4k scan from 2012? Was the scan for the blu-ray retouched for dirt and scratches at only 2k? So instead of retouching the whole scan again at 4k resolution, did they reuse the old 2k master? Blew it up to 4k, ran it through image processing again, and then finished it up with fake grain added?

Last edited:

Gerani53

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary Gerani
Ahh, the unique weirdness of 4K continues. "It's the greatest!" some say. "It's awful!" others insist, "just look at those screen caps." I've given up trying to figure out if 4K UHD is a blessing or an endlessly frustrating annoyance. Is my OLED calibrated correctly for it? Does it need to be "set" differently than the settings for BD, cable, etc.? Enough already. It just IS, whatever it is. Given all of the above, I have a feeling I'll be buying less and less in this format, other than beloved titles I simply can't do without. In the meantime, Mr. Harris was wondering why THE MUMMY, a legitimate Universal Monster Grade A classic, wasn't part of this current 4K line-up. I just assumed it was a matter of spreading your superstar monsters over two 4K UHD releases. Save THE MUMMY for next year's set, where it will undoubtedly be sharing the line-up with CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (2D only, perversely enough), BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, and the 1943 PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Beaver has the simulation disclaimer + you can adjust your 4k player or TV to make the image look like an episode from the Twilight Zone if you want. The details are there even in Maria's black dress.

View attachment 115896

View attachment 115898
Wow ! That's like Day and Night. The Bottom one is the Bluray and the Top one is the New 4K UHD ? I'm Glad I didn't buy it. No Thanks Universal.

Trancas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric
Wow ! That's like Day and Night. The Bottom one is the Bluray and the Top one is the New 4K UHD ? I'm Glad I didn't buy it. No Thanks Universal.
No those are both from the same 4k frame - I just boosted the exposure up on the second image in Photoshop. The range of tones are all there on the disc, they need to have a different gamma applied by your 4k player or the controls on your TV. And as Gary on DVDBeaver says his tonal compression from 4k UHD to normal imaging isn't perfect.

Last edited:

cda1143

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Just saw screen shots on that "other site" from THE WOLF MAN and truthfully, they looked too dark and murky...

The Frankenstein screen caps look awful. Look at Maria's hand...dirt and scratch removal gone amok. Every shot is missing objects. This is so disappointing.

You can’t judge 4K HDR from screen captures as there is no exact method to accomplish it. That other site even says so in their disclaimer. ...
Mark is of course absolutely correct about judging HDR from screen caps. But please, if we are going to refer to screen caps, can we at least state which screen caps we are talking about? They can come from at least three popular sites: DVD Beaver, Blu-ray.com, and Caps-a-holic. Is there really an HTF policy forbidding the mention of other sites by name?

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I've given up trying to figure out if 4K UHD is a blessing or an endlessly frustrating annoyance. Is my OLED calibrated correctly for it? Does it need to be "set" differently than the settings for BD, cable, etc.? Enough already. It just IS, whatever it is.

Off topic and I apologize but, while I can't definitively answer the question (it baffles me sometimes too) the general rule of thumb for OLED is to calibrate SDR sources but leave HDR sources at the OLED default levels for best performance. With my LG, I use Cinema for HDR and Cinema Home for DVision (as Cinema is too undefeatably dark with DV sources for me), remove any additional processing and noise reduction (if my 4k picture needs noise reduction we might as well give it all up now) but leave the OLED light, contrast, brightness and color level at their default settings. I feel your frustration but I have found that the TV seems to know best when it comes to HDR/Dolby Vision. I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Reed Grele

Patron
Real Name
Reed Grele
So far I've watched the new 4K UHD BD's of Dracula and The Wolf Man. I don't know how other's have their settings, but on my Sony 885ES (front projection) and LG C9 65" (OLED) the HDR looks nothing like those dark screen caps. And no, I'm not using a torch mode. Both are properly calibrated. I found that I needed no brightness boost on either one. Blacks are inky and defined and whites appear correct and not blown out. I am very pleased with what Universal has done to restore these classics to better than new condition!

cda1143

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
So far I've watched the new 4K UHD BD's of Dracula and The Wolf Man. I don't know how other's have their settings, but on my Sony 885ES (front projection) and LG C9 65" (OLED) the HDR looks nothing like those dark screen caps. And no, I'm not using a torch mode. Both are properly calibrated. I found that I needed no brightness boost on either one. Blacks are inky and defined and whites appear correct and not blown out. I am very pleased with what Universal has done to restore these classics to better than new condition!
Thanks so much for your observations and details. These types of real world observations are very helpful. At this point in the thread, it might be best to discuss screen caps only as you have - in comparison to actually viewing the 4Ks.

The main focus of this thread seems to be about which versions people prefer - the Blu-ray or 4K. It's a bit unclear if you're stating a preference for the 4Ks over the Blu-rays, or just stating your appreciation for the 4Ks.

Thanks again.

compson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Agreed. I just took a quick look at The Wolf Man UHD, and I’m dumbfounded by the DVDBeaver screen caps. I then put in the Spears & Munsil disc to confirm that I have black level set correctly. Using a cell-phone picture of a projected image has obvious shortcomings, but I‘ve attached my own screen cap from the same point as one of the DVDBeaver ink blots.
9D4DEA2F-0434-4A24-81FC-7E92A228DABE.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucrin
Recent bookmarks