What's new

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
There is more light and therefore detail on display on High Plains Drifter which was the first western he directed himself.
I also remember that The Outlaw Josey Wales looked better to me. Obviously this was the intended look so I won't complain but at the same time nobody should expect demo material here because this is not possible with the way it was shot.

Unforgiven looks soft in the caps that have been posted and strangely mostly free of film grain. The other two that I also own look much more textured to me.

Due to the high cost of the UHD disc and this not being for rent I have not yet seen it myself, maybe when the cost comes down at some point, possibly in a Warner UHD boxset of sorts?
Please don't put too much emphasis on my screenshots for grain etc - I stated that these were taken with an iPhone directly at the screen, so the image will differ from files lifted directly from the disc. However - the overly saturated red colour in Clint Eastwood's face in some scenes on the remastered blu-ray is quite striking - I hadn't read about this issue previously. That said, there was little visible grain on the transfer. I have no idea what film stock was used - there are far more knowledgeable experts on this site. Warner Bros has a good track record with their high-definition masters right from the start. They have very rarely been accused of de-graining their picture, unlike, say Universal. I recently tried to watch Brokeback Mountain (a Universal title) again and the picture quality was appalling - rampant DNR and edge-enhancement. I stopped after 10 minutes!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Please don't put too much emphasis on my screenshots for grain etc - I stated that these were taken with an iPhone directly at the screen, so the image will differ from files lifted directly from the disc. However - the overly saturated red colour in Clint Eastwood's face in some scenes on the remastered blu-ray is quite striking - I hadn't read about this issue previously. That said, there was little visible grain on the transfer. I have no idea what film stock was used - there are far more knowledgeable experts on this site. Warner Bros has a good track record with their high-definition masters right from the start. They have very rarely been accused of de-graining their picture, unlike, say Universal. I recently tried to watch Brokeback Mountain (a Universal title) again and the picture quality was appalling - rampant DNR and edge-enhancement. I stopped after 10 minutes!

Don't worry, I was talking about caps like these:

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=492&y=280&d1=10409&d2=10410&s1=101408&s2=101421&l=0&i=3&go=1

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=432&y=166&d1=10409&d2=10410&s1=101405&s2=101418&l=0&i=0&go=1

Agreed on the red faces, somethign seems to have gone wrong there.
I would never even start to compare Unforgiven with some of the Universal abominations, Brokeback Mountain is indeed a not very good looking disc.

Some older releases of large format productions have been degrained or filtered by the way ad they look quite soft compared to what they could look like. Mutiny on the Bounty and Battle of the Bulge are the worst if I remember correctly and BoB also has rather bad looking EE.

Not that too many people would care about that and I do not expect Warner to do anything about it in the near future.

Brian9229

Rushman
Real Name
Brian
My most anticipated 4K BD this year, along with Blade Runner. A total stunner. But I prefer to strip out the HDR metadata to retain a much more true to original color-timing. The WCG on this gives it a cold color scheme that just does not look good for this film. Unfortunately, or not, I have felt this way about every 4K BD I have bought.(35 to date)I'm happy enough with the increased resolution.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
This 2017 BD of Unforgiven jumped out at me. I am still without the high-end equipment that so many HTF members enjoy; and, yah, the differences can even be seen on my set. What a pleasure.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Got the UHD disc by now and it is very dark, one could say too dark. Unfortunately this is not an isolated case of a title that is so dark that viewing it with "normal" settings even for 4000 nits is uncomfortable.

For Sony and JVC projectors there is now the option of loading different EOTF curves into them for UHD and that together with sufficient light output (I recommend at least 25 fL for HDR, better 30 or 35fL) also solved my issues with Unforgiven in my front projection setup. It is good to have a system that allows seamless switching between curves as we may have mostly 1000 and 4000 nits discs but not even these always look as expected. Unfortunately there is very little consistency, not even with titles with the same nits value from the same studio.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I watched this last night as I continued to revisit Eastwood westerns with The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly UHD BD around the corner. I'm watching on a pro-calibrated JVC RS440 paired with a 9 foot wide scope screen (Stewart ST100) and using the Panasonic 820 SDR 2020 for tone mapping. Room completely carpeted/painted/velvet black. All in all, I was rather impressed. Some of the interior scenes are darker to be sure, but it seems to me like that was the intent and I didn't find it objectionable. I took a quick look at the accompanying remastered BD and the colors looked a bit oversaturated at rec 709 but I need to spend more time with it. One thing I noticed immediately is how UHD BD just has a more solid, stable-like image compared to BD. Hard to put into words, but when doing a quick A/B comparison I noticed this. Impressive audio track as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks