What's new

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
No I haven't. Is it necessary? I haven't noticed any issues.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
E6 calibrated ranges from 650 to 730(IIRC). Mine, calibrated by Robert's calibrator is close to 720 nits, and I love the look. Im sure one that can make 1000 is ideal, but in a dark room, certain HDR spectral highlights already make me wince. Plus, for an OLED to havce the Ultra HD Premium certification, since it has zero black, it only needs 0.005 to 540 nits, and the 2016's are well above that.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I hope there are no issues with Amazon. My pre-order is in, and I took Tuesday off as a personal day(I love this movie). I can't wait to see this.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mine is coming from Value, as well. Great people with whom to work!

DalekFlay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dane M.
I am by no means an expert but from everything I have read good tone mapping is as important as reaching the 1,000 nit threshold, or in this case the 4,000 nit one, which no consumer TV reaches anyway. A lot of televisions have 600 nits and do fine, while others have 600 nits with poor tone mapping and color volume and manage much worse. Obviously the nits are important, but those other facts are a big deal too.

I have a high-end LCD with 1400 nits and a bias light for great blacks. I haven't had any issue with Warner discs yet like some others have, so far. I have seen a few UHDs that are noticeably darker than their BD equivalents though, like Jupiter Ascending and X-Men: First Class. I usually assume this is an HDR grading choice, as it might be here. Eager to see for myself in a couple days!

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
RAH,

I'll buy this 4K/UHD release once it discounts down to a more reasonable price for me. It's still $32.59 at Amazon. It needs to be closer to the $20.00 mark before I buy it.

Warner's 4K releases haven't come down in price at all on Amazon after initial release. Goodfellas looks like it's gone out of print, Sully, Argo and The Lego Movie are still going for the full retail price. Third party sellers are listing these titles at discounted prices but shipping is often more expensive than with Amazon (at least for us across the pond). Unforgiven is being released on Amazon.co.uk next week and the price is more reasonable, shipping and tax deduction for export factored in. I also see that Amazon.ca has it for the same price in Canadian dollars, as the US version - that has to be a better deal?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Warner's 4K releases haven't come down in price at all on Amazon after initial release. Goodfellas looks like it's gone out of print, Sully, Argo and The Lego Movie are still going for the full retail price. Third party sellers are listing these titles at discounted prices but shipping is often more expensive than with Amazon (at least for us across the pond). Unforgiven is being released on Amazon.co.uk next week and the price is more reasonable, shipping and tax deduction for export factored in. I also see that Amazon.ca has it for the same price in Canadian dollars, as the US version - that has to be a better deal?
You bring up some good points about Warner titles. The lowest I've seen them has been $24.99. As to those other Amazon sites, unfortunately, there isn't much difference with the US Amazon due to shipping costs.

I just added this title to my Amazon Price Tracking List so if it hits the $24.99 mark, I'll buy it then.

Last edited:

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Im glad to have read the review - I do plan to get this, also when the price drops a little bit more. i can wait because I streamed it over the weekend. Its a great film and Ill be glad to add it to my UHD collection. After I read the reviews, sometimes it seems like it's a good idea that a Blu-ray disc is included ! :)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So to get the upgraded blu-ray for this I have to pick-up the UHD package? There is not a separate stand alone release of the upgraded blu?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Trying to make sense of the 4000 nits situation, vs the 650 to 1000 that's achievable for home theater. And if I'm not clear on it, there are possibly two or three others who need a bit more info.

Here's some help.

I've reached out to a friend, who is one of the top colorists.

Mastering generally occurs on two different platforms, either a Sony x300 at 1000 nits, or a Dolby Vision Pulsar at 4000 nits.

His take is that when done correctly, its as if you're looking through a window to the real outside world. With HDR there is finally enough dynamic range to give faces the contour and depth that's been missing in the past.

As to nits, the 4000 number is a bit misleading, as it's rarely hit. Highlights rarely get above 2-3000 nits, as anything brighter will create an unnatural look.

HDR works best with normal lighting, with good dynamic range, and not on dark sequences.

When mastering for the forthcoming Dolby Vision HDR, a metadata file is created that instructs the TV as to what parameters to use for the viewing the images.

On properly calibrated new high end modern flat panels, we should be seeing everything except the upper 15%, the brightest highlights. Color rendition and image detail in the low shadows to upper mid-tones should be fairly accurate to what is seen in the color rooms. Midtone resolution, color saturation should be much better, and significant different to what consumers are used to.

This all presumes that the new mastering is performed by someone who understands how to take advantage of the new technology.

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
Can't help feeling a little disappointed by all the feedback I've heard about this new release. Between the quantity of rubbish titles released so far, and the mixed reviews for many of the better releases, the new format sure is off to a slow start!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks