What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Paramount has done Republic proud, with their restoration (from original elements) of Trigger, Jr. the 16th of 19 TruColor westerns from Republic with Roy Rogers in the leads, made between 1947 and 1950.

It's a far more interesting film than I might have surmised.

At 66 minutes (one record has it as 68), it's short and to the point. As inclusive of a few western ballads, the films actually weighs in at closer to ten minutes shorter.

But the main point of my interest was that it was far from being a totally kid-friendly production.

Some 42 minutes, in when Roy dons his six-shooters to take on the bad dudes, it takes a dark turn. A couple of killings, albeit without blood, and some other minutia that I won't get into, could leave a kid in 1950 wondering what he or she had walked into.

Normally, cut for TV, I bet it was the violence that went missing.

Making note of Paramount's overseeing of the work on the film, they've made TruColor, a two-color process that was well below that of 3-strip Tech, look amazing colorful - and correct. Of course, part of this is do to color production design, bending the spectrum toward those colors that look best in the process - but they look terrific.

Kino Lorber's Blu-ray is a quality affair, and overall even for those who might not ever consider watching the work of The King of the Cowboys, Trigger, Jr. is worthy of your time.

Occasional mis-registration at cuts, which is part of the norm for the process, along with very minimal processing anomalies, make it look like film, and probably the way that it always looked.

Are we getting better color via digital technology? Possibly.

I'm told by a friend who is working on an article (and who led me to view the film), that Trigger would come up behind Roy and "nudge" him when he was singing on stage. The reality was, that he was chewing through Roy's shirt, and biting his back, knowing that Roy couldn't stop the song and whack him. Apparently, Roy lost lot of expensive shirts that way.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I was extremely happy with this disc and the film itself. The commentary track is great too!

notmicro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark M
The screen-caps posted on bluray.com look just amazing considering this process, although not surprisingly you can see the registration struggling a bit in some shots. Its really startling sometimes to see what's always been there slumbering on the OCN (or close to), waiting to be revealed. I've always wondered what source material was used for the 2 successive Blu-ray releases of Johnny Guitar (filmed 4 years later in one of the several processes named Trucolor).

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
They should do a budget priced box set of Roy Rogers Trucolor features. I'd buy that, but not full price for one.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
They should do a budget priced box set of Roy Rogers Trucolor features. I'd buy that, but not full price for one.

$7.99 for each of the Roy Rogers Truecolor Westerns during the recent Kino sale, You pay more for a meal at McDonald's or Burger King, and honestly, neither of those are as comforting as the films.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Pack em in a box for four bucks a pop and I'll pay 20 bucks for em. I might even go 25 for 5.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I expect there would be a better market for these films at a budget pricepoint, but these are high-end restorations that probably haven't covered their costs. In the dvd era they could maybe price them like that and sell enough that even with a lower margin they could still make up the expense.

I feel I can justify paying a little extra when the restoration is this good. I'd recommend checking out at least one of these if you can pick it up for a price you are comfortable with. I was blown away with how good these look.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I expect there would be a better market for these films at a budget pricepoint, but these are high-end restorations that probably haven't covered their costs. In the dvd era they could maybe price them like that and sell enough that even with a lower margin they could still make up the expense.

I feel I can justify paying a little extra when the restoration is this good. I'd recommend checking out at least one of these if you can pick it up for a price you are comfortable with. I was blown away with how good these look.

Until I watched Roy Rogers "Sunset in the West," I never realized that Trucolor could look anywhere near this good. Really a revelation.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Agreed. The best deals are from Kino themselves during their sales.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
There are also various closeout book/media sellers, such as Hamilton Books (found at erhbc.com) which are known to carry Kino titles, at very good prices. (Ofcourse, if one truly wants to do their part to support the continuation of releases such as the subject of this thread, best to resist going that route as it's the first-hand/ retail sales that really matter) :>]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks