What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Treasure Island (1950) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One might presume that Disney's wonderful adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson's 1883 classic, Treasure Island, would have been photographed somewhere in the Caribbean.

But it's all UK studio bound, along with location photography in Cornwall, England.

https://www.visitcornwall.com/beaches

The film was directed by Byron Haskin.

If you check his CV, you'll find that he started his career in the silent era as a cinematographer, and did a bit of directing in 1927.

His work as cinematographer includes The Sea Beast, an late silent adaptation of Moby Dick, with John Barrymore and Dolores Costello, with a two-color Technicolor sequence.

Mid-career, he worked in special photographic effects at WB, before going into direction full time in 1948.

His most notable film as director - the 1953 War of the Worlds for Paramount.

The film Bobby Driscoll (if you don't know his life story, look it up and have Kleenex brand facial tissues at the ready), Robert Newton (who became linked to the role, and the casting, going back to Hitchcock's Jamaica Inn), and the extraordinary Finlay Currie (still haven't seen Great Expectations?).

The archival crew at Disney went back to the original nitrate negatives, and masters for a full-on restoration of Treasure Island, and their work is obvious in every meticulous frame.

As the original negatives were conformed as single strand, all printer functions are duped in (and always have been), so that the generation loss at those times is expected.

Color goes from superb to glorious, and it should be, as the film was photographed by the great Freddie Young, with location work and studio interiors, shot at Denham, matching nicely.

The money shot in this film, or at least to me, the quintessential money shot, is Bobby Driscoll hiding in the apple barrel, surrounded by shafts of Technicolor illumination.

Did I mention that this was shot in three-strip Technicolor?

One of the great classic adventure films, suitable for all ages.

Only one problem.

Like some of their other catalog titles, Disney has seen fit to only allow those who subscribe to the Disney Movie Club to own it, unless you wish to pay exorbitant Amazon or eBay prices, and purchase second hand from those who join the club, have no interest in the film, and just want the coupons that come with the releases.

This is a huge pity, as the film, and the immense amount of labor by those involved in its restoration needs to be viewed and acknowledged by the public.

If you've missed this one, or think that you've seen in on home video (it was released in a cut version), now's your chance.

If you can find a copy.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I joined, after some reluctance, a couple of months ago. I'm sure longtime members, whom I've seen posting here, are better at maximizing coupons and offers to get deals, but I was happy enough to get Treasure Island, Blackbeard's Ghost, The Davy Crockett double feature, and The Castaway Cowboy (DVD-only) for 40%-off by placing a preorder for Zootopia in my cart.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
It's definitely a shame that Disney has all but abandoned their live-action catalog outside of the Movie Club-only releases. Sadly, they're all about leveraging their Marvel and Lucasfilm acquisitions and remaking their animated classics as live-action spectacles now. Heck, they couldn't even be bothered to release the extended version of Bedknobs & Broomsticks on Blu-ray when they already had an HD master for streaming.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Freddie Young and 3-Strip Technicolor.
Who could lose?
Albeit a shame; its the final tipping point for my becoming a member.

Last edited:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I plan on joining the Disney Club to pick up these exclusive classics. I'm 44 and remember when we got out first VHS player around 1980 and renting these Disney classics as I saw them for the first time. This movie along with Swiss Family Robinson, Davy Crockett, etc. captivated my mind and imagination. I would love to get these as they would surely look beautiful on my JVC front projection set-up, but have been waiting on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea as surely that is inevitable. Once that is added, I am in!

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Dave:

I'm slightly younger than you but I have pretty much the same memories of these Disney classics. We had an old Zenith console television with a JVC VCR and rented tons of these Disney films from the local mom and pop video store. I have the LD of Treasure Island at home but it's not the best. I'm getting more and more enticed to join the Disney club.

Davy Crockett, Swiss Family Robinson, Blackbeard's Ghost, Pollyanna, and now this one...

Now we just need Follow Me Boys, The Light in the Forest, Song of the South, and a plethora of others...

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Especially "Song of the South".
All of this "Uncle Remus" stuff needs to go to the wayside.
As it is, few Americans know or remember that actor James Baskett won an Honorary Oscar for his performance.
The words inscribed on his statuette by AMPAS reads as follows:
"for his able and heart-warming characterization of Uncle Remus, friend and story-teller to the children of the world in Walt Disney's Song of the South".
If ever "awareness" were needed, it would have to include this beautiful prose attributed to his performance found only within this film.
The climate of today's world should not erase the memory of this gifted man's work.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I have to fully agree with Mr Harris on on the picture. The video is awesome and is demonstration quality.

However, to my mind the audio would be a three or less. My introduction to this film was the "Long Playing" records that Disney issued with the story (from the soundtrack) and music. I have seen it projected church basement style with one projector with an on board speaker and in a "Theatre" with high quality speakers. And the sound of the Bluray is worse than the single projector screenings

In a nutshell, it is very low in volume and has virtually no dynamic range. Tape hiss would be a given. I understand the sound elements are probably not in great shape so this would be understandable just keep it in mind if you choose to purchase the disc

il_570xN.328429494.jpg

At the time I received my disc from the DMC I was watching the films from the "David Lean Directs Noel Coward" Bluray set from Criterion. He appears in "This Happy Breed" which contains supplements that discuss Mr Newton ... for me it was interesting to see Newton playing a completely different role ... and that director didn't do too shabby a job either ;) ...

I highly recommend both blurays with the caveat on the sound for TI :cool:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have to fully agree with Mr Harris on on the picture. The video is awesome and is demonstration quality.

However, to my mind the audio would be a three or less. My introduction to this film was the "Long Playing" records that Disney issued with the story (from the soundtrack) and music. I have seen it projected church basement style with one projector with an on board speaker and in a "Theatre" with high quality speakers. And the sound of the Bluray is worse than the single projector screenings

In a nutshell, it is very low in volume and has virtually no dynamic range. Tape hiss would be a given. I understand the sound elements are probably not in great shape so this would be understandable just keep it in mind if you choose to purchase the disc

il_570xN.328429494.jpg

At the time I received my disc from the DMC I was watching the films from the "David Lean Directs Noel Coward" Bluray set from Criterion. He appears in "This Happy Breed" which contains supplements that discuss Mr Newton ... for me it was interesting to see Newton playing a completely different role ... and that director didn't do too shabby a job either ;) ...

I highly recommend both blurays with the caveat on the sound for TI :cool:

Keep in mind that you're hearing the tracks uncompressed from original elements.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I cannot find anything about this on Amazon. Glad others can, but I find no page for anything but the Muppet treasure island. Perhaps someone can link to it? Perhaps that might be a nice thing to do?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I cannot find anything about this on Amazon. Glad others can, but I find no page for anything but the Muppet treasure island. Perhaps someone can link to it? Perhaps that might be a nice thing to do?

You'll only find it there, if a third party is selling a used/"I joined, got this stupid movie, and want the coupon to get something else."

A cottage industry has been created.

They should be on eBay.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I found mine on eBay not Amazon. I have picked up several other of the Disney BD exclusives that way, without joining the Disney club.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
NOW everyone says eBay, whereas everyone said Amazon earlier. I just joined, got six movies for twenty bucks and will do four more quickly and unjoin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks