What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Tomb Raider -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm not a fan of cinema based upon computer games.

Never have been.

But Roar Uthang's Tomb Raider works.

Probably because of the presence of Alicia Vikander (if you've not experienced her work in Ex Machina and The Danish Girl, you're missing out) and a storyline that doesn't go into computer game mode until near the very end.

Characters actually have some background, and fully human characteristics. Walter Goggins, as the consummate bad dude, even has some layers to his persona.

But for those who run 4k, Warner Bros. new release is absolutely state of the art, with true 4k imagery, based upon its Alexa-based 3.4k chip, completed, not as a 2k DI, but as true 4k.

Black levels are similarly beautifully rendered, with a bit of help from HDR.

Reference material for 4k, with a huge, detailed sound stage, as replicated via Dolby Atmos.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely!

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched this rendition of Lara Croft in the movie theater. I didn't like it as much this time as when Jolie played the lead. Don't get me wrong, I think Alicia Vikander is a fine actress and she did a lot of work fine tuning her body for the physicality of this role, but for me, the film wasn't as entertaining as the prior films. The Dolby Atmos was outstanding. I might pick up the 4K disc at discount or more likely the 4K digital copy to give it another try.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
That’s about how I felt, Robert. It wasn’t bad at all and there are definitely some things to like about this take on the character, but I had more fun with the previous movies.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I liked that the motivation of Goggins's character was that he wanted to get off the effing island. It was his bosses with the diabolical plans, he was just the working stiff hired gun.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I liked that the motivation of Goggins's character was that he wanted to get off the effing island. It was his bosses with the diabolical plans, he was just the working stiff hired gun.

This, and I liked that it took efforts to be grounded in reality, with real world explanations, instead of straight out supernatural stuff like the previous films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vivacitythinks
Recent bookmarks