What's new

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The IB prints are green

Ha, ha! :) This is one aspect that’s making me confused and frustrated about the 2020 release. What’s supposed to be the right day for night tint. One post said Hitchcock wanted it blue, but the processing made it green, so that’s how’s its always been.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Ha, ha! :) This is one aspect that’s making me confused and frustrated about the 2020 release. What’s supposed to be the right day for night tint. One post said Hitchcock wanted it blue, but the processing made it green, so that’s how’s its always been.
Hitchcock wanted it NOT blue but neutral. Then it turned out greenish but this is how it has always been - at most it should have been neutral as he explicitly did not want blue.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Done correctly, it could be magnificent.
Those sunny exteriors could look fantastic. I would think it could look a bit crisper than Vertigo simply because of the way it was shot.
I have no idea if that would be visible with the new 4k master as the current Blu-ray certainly doesn't give us any clues.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Those sunny exteriors could look fantastic. I would think it could look a bit crisper than Vertigo simply because of the way it was shot.
I have no idea if that would be visible with the new 4k master as the current Blu-ray certainly doesn't give us any clues.
Not having seen it, I’d bet the untouched master is very nice.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’m knew there was going to be some major disagreement regarding this 4K stream. Anyway, I think it looks great so I’ll leave it to others to argue otherwise as I’m a happy camper.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hitchcock wanted it NOT blue but neutral. Then it turned out greenish but this is how it has always been - at most it should have been neutral as he explicitly did not want blue.

If I recall what was quoted, Hitchcock mentioned the night sky color that was black but had a bit of blue in it. And that’s more neutral then a bluish color. So I stand corrected Oliver. I don’t mean to be one of the disagree-ers. :)

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
From a 16mm IB tech print
17B1D949-8A81-4B26-B3AF-7419733E19F0.jpeg

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I’m knew there was going to be some major disagreement regarding this 4K stream. Anyway, I think it looks great so I’ll leave it to others to argue otherwise as I’m a happy camper.

How was your impression compared to the two Blu-ray versions or if you only have one to that one? I see that you preferred it but does it look closer to the old or to the new Blu-ray and how is detail and film grain handled?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How was your impression compared to the two Blu-ray versions or if you only have one to that one? I see that you preferred it but does it look closer to the old or to the new Blu-ray and how is detail and film grain handled?
I only have the 2012 Blu-ray. I was happy with it, but now I'm very happy with this 4K stream. I haven't compared the two because I feel like I don't need to, as I know what is pleasing to my eyes, and this updated 4K stream is to mine. My days of comparing the same movie on different video formats is something I want to get away from because frankly, it's just too time-consuming and frustrating to some degree. I'll only do so now if the latest video format of a movie isn't to my liking. Since, this 4K stream is then I don't feel the need to go back to compare the 2012 BD with this 4K stream. I'll let others do that task if they so desire as I have no problem with the detail or film grain.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I only have the 2012 Blu-ray. I was happy with it, but now I'm very happy with this 4K stream. I haven't compared the two because I feel like I don't need to, as I know what is pleasing to my eyes, and this updated 4K stream is to mine. My days of comparing the same movie on different video formats is something I want to get away from because frankly, it's just too time-consuming and frustrating to some degree. I'll only do so now if the latest video format of a movie isn't to my liking. Since, this 4K stream is then I don't feel the need to go back to compare the 2012 BD with this 4K stream. I'll let others do that task if they so desire as I have no problem with the detail or film grain.

OK, understood. It did not occur to me that you might like it so much that you do not even need to look at the old Blu-ray.
Maybe somebody else who has seen several versions will chime in.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
OK, understood. It did not occur to me that you might like it so much that you do not even need to look at the old Blu-ray.
Please don’t misrepresent what I said. I love this movie and I’m really happy with this 4K stream. I see no reason to compare it to the 2012 BD. If other people want to do so then so be it.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Please don’t misrepresent what I said. I love this movie and I’m really happy with this 4K stream. I see no reason to compare it to the 2012 BD. If other people want to do so then so be it.

No misrepresentation intended - enjoy your 4k version!

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...Maybe somebody else who has seen several versions will chime in.
I didn't watch the whole thing, but I did scan through the 4K stream on iTunes. It's certainly an improvement over the new blu-ray, but it still has an overly-processed, flat look to it. Overall, I still think the older disc looks better.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I didn't watch the whole thing, but I did scan through the 4K stream on iTunes. It's certainly an improvement over the new blu-ray, but it still has an overly-processed, flat look to it. Overall, I still think the older disc looks better.
Thanks, that's too bad. I would probably feel similar so I will not get that version before Paramount revisits To Catch a Thief.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris

I direct you to the first post of this thread, where our gracious resident expert has chimed in. Following his discussion should provide you with many answers to your questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks