What's new

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Finally saw this over the weekend, and unlike Darkest Hour, this film was a major disappointment. The 'white cops all being racist' theme took the story down a path I did not want it to go. Walked out half way thru
And if you walked out halfway thru, you missed a few very important character arcs that may have changed your opinion of the film.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
It would have been tough to undo what I'd already say thru by that point. I'd already taken a break from the film once, and came back to try and finish it. Then an idiotic blanket statement to police officers by the female lead cemented any chance the film had to succeed. Of course I know this is strictly my opinion. My wife stayed for the duration.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
Finally saw this over the weekend, and unlike Darkest Hour, this film was a major disappointment. The 'white cops all being racist' theme took the story down a path I did not want it to go. Walked out half way thru

Well you missed a major reveal about said character that all wasn't what it seemed. Character development is about the way a character changes within the story. Unlike the opinions of some of the other people here, IMO, in the end, this was far from an anti-cop film. Even if that character hadn't gone though changes, all the other cops in the film were quite ethical.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member

You saw half a film, missed major character development due to leaving early, and let your own personal prejudices fill in the blanks... INCORRECTLY.

Good job!

Mark

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I was really impressed with Dixon's arc, both in terms of how McDonagh wrote it and how Rockwell played it, in terms of the character ending up in a different place than he began. Not many characters undergo such a big change throughout the course of a single film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was really impressed with Dixon's arc, both in terms of how McDonagh wrote it and how Rockwell played it, in terms of the character ending up in a different place than he began. Not many characters undergo such a big change throughout the course of a single film.
I think he recognized how he was raised made him lesser of a person than he could've been as people aren't born racists.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
You saw half a film, missed major character development due to leaving early, and let your own personal prejudices fill in the blanks... INCORRECTLY.

Good job!

Mark
I've stopped watching many movies, and put down a lot of novels because I couldn't get into them, they just didn't work for me.
No harm no foul. people like what they like.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I thought the arc was too fantastic. Made no sense how much progress Dixon made in such a short period of time - people don't evolve that quickly in real-life.

And he also seemed to gain about 50 IQ points over that brief period, too!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I thought the arc was too fantastic. Made no sense how much progress Dixon made in such a short period of time.

Do we need spoiler tags for this film at this point?

Just in case...

Considering where the film leaves both Dixon and Mildred, I don't agree with that. It's not like he has suddenly become a saint or anything. People make meaningful progress in significant moments -- getting fired is certainly a significant moment for Dixon, and so was Willaby's death, as he seemed to be a paternal/mentor figure for Dixon. I can certainly believe that both of those events would make Dixon reevaluate some life choices that he made up to that point, especially given the posthumous note he received. But that he would suggest to Mildred that they go kill this guy who thy know is not Angela's murderer demonstrates that he still has a lot of progress left to go. As I said earlier, I would gladly watch this film for another two hours just to see what these two do next.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
This film is simply the finest I have seen for several years.
The Brits got it right. Best Film.
A fantastic journey for an audience to go on.
What film making should be all about.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Do we need spoiler tags for this film at this point?

Just in case...

Considering where the film leaves both Dixon and Mildred, I don't agree with that. It's not like he has suddenly become a saint or anything. People make meaningful progress in significant moments -- getting fired is certainly a significant moment for Dixon, and so was Willaby's death, as he seemed to be a paternal/mentor figure for Dixon. I can certainly believe that both of those events would make Dixon reevaluate some life choices that he made up to that point, especially given the posthumous note he received. But that he would suggest to Mildred that they go kill this guy who thy know is not Angela's murderer demonstrates that he still has a lot of progress left to go. As I said earlier, I would gladly watch this film for another two hours just to see what these two do next.

Maybe - none of that explains how he gains 50 IQ points in such a short period of time, though! :D

And I still think it's a lot to ask for so many deeply ingrained personality traits to change so quickly...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
True, but it’s rather silly to post an opinion based on limited information.
People post stuff all the time with limited knowledge and I wouldn't call them silly, but, just ill-informed. Posted opinions are, well, just opinions and people are welcome to have one whether it's knowledgeable or not.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Too fantastic?

Yet, the film that won the best picture Oscar is about a cleaning woman's relationship with an amphibian creature.

:)

Mark

It's all about internal consistency! I can accept an actual fantasy story as long as it sticks to the rules it establishes.

When characters change illogically - the way I see Dixon in "3 Billboards" - then I think it's a problem.

That's a lot of the reason I'm disenchanted with "Thor: Ragnarok" - the character has suddenly become radically different from the guy we knew in the 1st 2 movies...

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
People post stuff all the time with limited knowledge and I wouldn't call them silly, but, just ill-informed. Posted opinions are, well, just opinions and people are welcome to have one whether it's knowledgeable or not.

Fair point. The poster just runs the risk of looking silly. Been there. Done That.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
My biggest problem with Three Billboards is McDormand's character agreeing to pay $5000 a month to rent three billboards which haven't been rented in years because almost nobody sees them since the highway was completed.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Dixon's turning point is after he's burned and in the hospital and put in the same room as the man he threw out the window (hey, the story is somewhat of a fable, folks). Even though Dixon is heavily bandaged except for his eyes, the man recognizes his voice and goes through an anger rant.

This is entirely seen through Dixon's POV through the slit in the bandages. It's the only moment in the film that's shot directly from a character's POV. He sees the man rage for a few moments, and then he sees the man calm down, transform to find compassion within himself and place the glass of orange juice with the straw for Dixon to drink from, and finally turn the straw toward Dixon.

To my eyes, it is after this moment of a man he nearly killed showing him compassion that Dixon's character begins to commit to that turn. And it was the Sheriff's suicide letter saying he had confidence Dixon would be a good investigator that gives him the impetus to grab and save the file from the fire in the first place.

Two pretty strong defining moments no matter what you believe could help transform a character.

I didn't put this in spoilers because everyone posting here so far seems to have seen the film.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks