What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines... -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Even if they're not calibrated (heresy!!), they'd probably give you a better idea of the look of the disc on your system. A lot of medium-to-high end laptops also have HDMI outputs, which may give even better results as these "SmartTV" sets aren't as smart as the manufacturers make out.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I have just watched this and the picture is lovely, the only thing i noticed there was no directional dialog as i am sure was in the 4- track ,6-track and even the DTS Special Venue print i saw at Bradford in 2007, but still a great blu ray.

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
FoxyMulder said:
I read this was a 2K scan, it's shot in Todd-AO and 65mm so the question is would an 8K scan have yielded better results and negated the need for any sharpening at all, why on earth didn't they scan at a minimum 4K. ?
I was all ready to purchase this disc until I read your post that it's a 2K scan. Now I'm wondering about purchasing this and other fox films that I already have on DVD. I was aware that some years back they transferred a large number of older films as 2K scans, which they referred to at that time as "High Definition". They used those 2K scan to also make the DVDs at that time. I have the feeling that they might be using those same 2K transfers for current Blu-rays. They look excellent on DVD, however, I have found that when they use these same transfers for Blu-ray, they don't appear much better than the original DVDs. If that's the case, I can live without them.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Techman707 said:
I was all ready to purchase this disc until I read your post that it's a 2K scan. Now I'm wondering about purchasing this and other fox films that I already have on DVD. I was aware that some years back they transferred a large number of older films as 2K scans, which they referred to at that time as "High Definition". They used those 2K scan to also make the DVDs at that time. I have the feeling that they might be using those same 2K transfers for current Blu-rays. They look excellent on DVD, however, I have found that when they use these same transfers for Blu-ray, they don't appear much better than the original DVDs. If that's the case, I can live without them.
It should be better, if nothing else the blu ray encode won't have artifacts and DVD's often have considerably more sharpening applied, go back to page 1 and read the comments from Mr Harris and remember your screen size will play a part in whether you think it's better or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks