What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ They Live -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
They Live, an interesting John Carpenter film from 1988, has made its way to Blu-ray from Universal to Scream Factory, and rather like The Island, has that very special Universal look.

Color here is quite nice, with decent shadow detail, and a proper Universal non-cinema look, with
grain properly eradicated. Interestingly, in many black & white shots, whatever software was used for the eradication, left a few frames of ugly grain behind, appearing as if it's trying to escape.

Audio is fine as DTS-MA 2.0

An oddity that has gained a certain following.

Image - 3.5 *

Audio - 4

RAH

* Standard Universal handicap.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
It's really ashamed we are nearly seven years into the high def format and are still seeing these issues from Universal. Is it they still don't get it, or just using older masters? Sigh.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Dave H said:
It's really ashamed we are nearly seven years into the high def format and are still seeing these issues from Universal. Is it they still don't get it, or just using older masters? Sigh.
They get it. These are probably older cable masters.
RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
haineshisway said:
Isn't it funny? This transfer is getting raves on other boards.
I don't understand. For a Universal catalog title, my comments are a rave. :D
RAH

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
haineshisway said:
Isn't it funny? This transfer is getting raves on other boards.
Yeah, I think it looks great. I make no claim to being an authority and while I have all the respect in the world for RAH and his opinion, I really doubt that many people are going to be dissapointed by this transfer (not counting the people who are just going to repeat what RAH or another legitimate authority has said so they can sound informed).

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/325686/a-few-words-about-they-live-in-blu-ray#post_4008442
* Standard Universal handicap.

Can i re-use that phrase for future posts i may make. ? I'll abbreviate it to SUH, as you know i am useless with abbreviations so hopefully i can bamboozle a few people who love to abbreviate titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks