What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ The Yearling – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Yearling, a very special 1946 release via M-G-M, in Technicolor, is one of those films that are missed in today's childrens' entertainment.

It's a magnificent production, starring Gregory Peck, Jane Wyman and young Claude Jarman, Jr., and directed by one of M-G-M's finest, Clarence Brown.

Sampling it earlier today, I could not help but place it in context with another beautiful M-G-M production, directed by Fred Wilcox and produced by Mr. Brown - The Secret Garden (1949).

What struck me, in viewing this newly restored Blu-ray derived from the nitrate camera negatives, was the absolute perfection of color, and especially skin tonalities in big close-ups of young Mr. Jarman early in the film. You'll understand when you see them, and they reproduce magnificently in projection.

Got kids?

Tired of showing them Nightmare on Elm Street, and hearing from child protection services?

Give The Yearling a try.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Another highly anticipated Blu-ray release for me as I've been a big fan of this movie since watching it in my childhood back in the mid-60s on our new color TV that probably didn't do it justice like this upcoming BD.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
The restored scenes Warner Archives have posted are just stunning! This was always a beautiful film to look at - I am anxiously awaiting to see the blu-ray. The scenes when the deer are running in the woods and the bear hunt are both amazing sequences. Can't arrive soon enough.

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
The Yearling is so great, I don't regard it as just a children's movie. Family film? Yes. 1946 Oscar nods for Best Picture, Actor Gregory Peck, Actress Jane Wyman, Director Clarence Brown, Film Editing Harold Kress and winner for Color Cinematography, Color Interior Decoration and Claude Jarman Jr. for Outstanding Child Actor of 1946. A must-have for any classic film collector.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
The cinematography in this film rates right up there with BLACK NARCISUS. This is also the first film to show the actors without any makeup. You can see the pink and reds in their skin which is amazing. And Jane Wyman bravely went along with no makeup, which was unheard of for a female star at that time. They also used clothes from a museum from that time period in the area where the story took place. Beyond all that, it is an inspirational story that is painful in many areas but gives you hope.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I wish that "The Secret Garden", referred to by Mr. Harris, was restored and released in blu-ray format.

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
The Yearling, a very special 1946 release via M-G-M, in Technicolor, is one of those films that are missed in today's childrens' entertainment.

It's a magnificent production, starring Gregory Peck, Jane Wyman and young Claude Jarman, Jr., and directed by one of M-G-M's finest, Clarence Brown.

Sampling it earlier today, I could not help but place it in context with another beautiful M-G-M production, directed by Fred Wilcox and produced by Mr. Brown - The Secret Garden (1949).

What struck me, in viewing this newly restored Blu-ray derived from the nitrate camera negatives, was the absolute perfection of color, and especially skin tonalities in big close-ups of young Mr. Jarman early in the film. You'll understand when you see them, and they reproduce magnificently in projection.

Got kids?

Tired of showing them Nightmare on Elm Street, and hearing from child protection services?

Give The Yearling a try.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH
A special rare classic amongst what are known as "children's films" but our kids could not take to the slow moving story now in their late 20's we will try again...cant wait to receive my blu-ray - a rush of high level M-G-M "A" pictures at once at last. Where are The Student Prince & Interrupted Melody - quality highly regarded films - big successes (2.55 & stereo) with high level feedback on W Archive. We get Athena instead? A box office flop that did not even get a city cinema on release.....

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
The cinematography in this film rates right up there with BLACK NARCISUS. This is also the first film to show the actors without any makeup. You can see the pink and reds in their skin which is amazing. And Jane Wyman bravely went along with no makeup, which was unheard of for a female star at that time. They also used clothes from a museum from that time period in the area where the story took place. Beyond all that, it is an inspirational story that is painful in many areas but gives you hope.
As Darrell mentioned Clarence Brown wanted no make-up. That made the normal control of flesh tones using make-up (which was a very important factor in color photography) not possible. As outlined in the book "Glorious Technicolor" this meant Claude Jarman had to always wear a large straw hat between takes so he would not tan. Jane Wyman, on the other hand, was quite pale and had to spend 15 minutes a day under a sun lamp to look like someone living on the land in Florida. Peck's naturally ruddy complexion had to be treated frequently with iced chamois skin to hold the redness down.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hence the creation of the famous Hollywood make-up entity.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As Darrell mentioned Clarence Brown wanted no make-up. That made the normal control of flesh tones using make-up (which was a very important factor in color photography) not possible. As outlined in the book "Glorious Technicolor" this meant Calude Jarman had to always wear a large straw hat between takes so he would not tan. Jane Wyman, on the other hand, was quite pale and had to spend 15 minutes a day under a sun lamp to look like someone living on the land in Florida. Peck's naturally ruddy complexion had to be treated frequently with iced chamois skin to hold the redness down.
And those colors have been magnificently rendered by MPI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
will_0407