What's new

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Just viewed my copy, last night.

Marvelous, breathtaking and gorgeous.

Bravo and kudos everlasting to Mr. David Strohmaier and Mr. Tom March.

I’ll try to resist adding more posts, as further platitudes are later bound to pop into my mind.

Truly, The Wonderful World of The Brothers Grimm dominates as the top restoration and BD of 2022.

P. S. Loved the sight of that 146 degree screen made of genuine louvered strips. A thing of beauty and envy.

Last edited:

andersmo

Auditioning
Real Name
Anders M Olsson
I was watching an unrelated foreign Blu-ray last night, of a movie that had been (very poorly) converted to 3D. Rather than any semblance of 3D depth, instead the conversion made the film look like a flat image projected onto a concave curved screen. This was entirely wrong for the picture in question, but it left me wondering if something like this could actually benefit these Cinerama movies. Done right, it might even be a better compromise than Smilebox.

Of course, 3D support in televisions has essentially died out, and convincing viewers to put on 3D glasses for a 2D movie would be a tough sell in any event. Nevertheless, Mr. Shrohmaier, I'm curious if you ever tested anything like that when working on your restorations?
Funny you should mention it. I actually made a couple of samples a few years ago, demoing just that. A 9 minute 3D clip from Seven Wonders of the World was screened at the Widescreen Weekend in Bradford, England in 2015, and then again at the Danish Film Institute later that year. David Strohmaier is well aware of that, and has seen it.

Here's a still frame from that sequence, converted to anaglyphic 3D. The demonstrations in Bradford and Copenhagen was a full color DCP that took advantage of the native 3D-systems in the cinemas.

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I just watched the smilevision version of WWOTBG. That completed my viewing of the extras and movies of this set. I agree, the restoration documentary is absorbing, and the results are astonishing. After reading the HTF discussion of the movie, which I had never seen before, it was a must buy for me. For this reason I do not regret buying it.

Having said the above, I must confess that I am sorry, but I did not like the movie at all. I found it very juvenile, especially the dragon sequence, and Jim Baccas in "The Dancing Princess". A lot of it reminded me of 1950s children's TV. It really seemed to be what adults thought children would enjoy rather than what they really liked. I enjoyed the technical aspects of course, but although it was very interesting to see how it was filmed and restored I actually was glad I watched it by myself. I knodded off at one point for a second, I thought, and when I reached the end realized I had missed the entire "Dancing Princess" section and had to go back. The theme music played during the "menu" will haunt my dreams! Is it an exercise in nostalgia for people who saw it as children? I know I still love things like the Mary Martin "Peter Pan" that I grew up with.

Ross Gowland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ross Gowland
I thought the Grimm segments were fine while the fairy stories themselves were absolutely delightful. I started watching the Smilebox version, but don’t like the format so switched to normal widescreen. Shame the Flicker Alley Cinerama discs don’t give you that option.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Just put D2 Smilebox in and I may have a faulty disc. It froze after the old man comes into the room and goes to Grimm on the left of screen holding a paper. Sound also goes funny. Other parts were OK on quick check. I need to find the use of another machine before I yell out!!!!

andersmo

Auditioning
Real Name
Anders M Olsson
Just put D2 Smilebox in and I may have a faulty disc. It froze after the old man comes into the room and goes to Grimm on the left of screen holding a paper. Sound also goes funny. Other parts were OK on quick check. I need to find the use of another machine before I yell out!!!!
Might just be a fingerprint on the disc. Try some washing-up liquid and lukewarm water.

JMB9

Auditioning
Real Name
Joey
Currently on sale for $18.40 at Amazon for the next 12 days.

Amazon product

Given the extensive efforts that went into the restoration, the number of bonus features not typical of Warner Archive, and the two disc set...this is a really good price. I bought it even though I'm not sure I will like the movie that much.

Harris is right about how Warner Archive does such a good job all the time that we take these great quality discs for granted.

I recently watched The Naked Spur, and the image quality was great. Film grain was appropriate and the technicolor imagery really shined.

The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex may be the most impressive of my Warner Archive discs, but I suspect that Grimm will take that spot soon.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ordered mine yesterday. Several of the Warner Archive releases seem to be on limited time sale right now. I also ordered The Three Musketeers, A Star is Born, Captains of the Clouds, and In the Good Old Summertime.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
#6 in Action and Adventure.

1651603875938.png

compson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
George Feltenstein says the Blu-ray “has been a phenomenon for us, far more sucessful than I could have even dreamed.” At the 01:15 mark:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
George Feltenstein says the Blu-ray “has been a phenomenon for us, far more sucessful than I could have even dreamed.” At the 01:15 mark:
That's SO wonderful to know that sales have exceeded expectations. All that time, money, and trouble was worth it. I couldn't be happier for them (or for us who got to enjoy the magnificent fruit of their labors).

Chewbabka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
That's SO wonderful to know that sales have exceeded expectations. All that time, money, and trouble was worth it. I couldn't be happier for them (or for us who got to enjoy the magnificent fruit of their labors).
And hopefully bodes well for future catalog releases from WAC! If this sold well, surely some 4Ks of more popular Warner crown-jewel titles could do well too!

JMB9

Auditioning
Real Name
Joey
And hopefully bodes well for future catalog releases from WAC! If this sold well, surely some 4Ks of more popular Warner crown-jewel titles could do well too!
One I would like to see is a 4K of The Searchers since it was filmed in Vistavision. I do not know the state of the film elements, but it could really use some help since it came out on Blu-ray in 2006.

Maybe with Paramount releasing Liberty Valance in 4K, there is some hope for more classics on the format.

Chewbabka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
One I would like to see is a 4K of The Searchers since it was filmed in Vistavision. I do not know the state of the film elements, but it could really use some help since it came out on Blu-ray in 2006.

Maybe with Paramount releasing Liberty Valance in 4K, there is some hope for more classics on the format.
That’s the tile I had in mind when I wrote this ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RGG
Recent bookmarks