What's new

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Watched this over the weekend. So impressed with the restoration! As to the film itself, I was mortified at the loose morals and particularly the skimpy cocktail dress that the princess was wearing when dancing in the gypsy camp. Shocking! Simply shocking!

• Haha
Reactions: PMF

Dee Zee

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
Must have been a re-release in 1969. The Greatest Story Ever Told premiere was in 1965. It's also with MGM and Amazon now owns that title.

Preview ticket for United Artists employees.
View attachment 132866

World Premiere
View attachment 132868
Oops. Yes, 1965. I had the wrong year in my head. Anyway, it looked incredible on the big CINERAMA screen I saw it on in downtown Chicago.

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
All these braggarts that saw these films on their original roadshow engagements on vast screens! Hmph!

Bob Merrill owns Broadway between 50th and 51st with Sondheim ascending on the block above. Though to be honest I don't believe Carnival was at the Winter Garden. Merrick was just advertising it on the empty theater's marquee.
The extraordinary Bob was named by Slate magazine as the worst songwriter ever. Just after he shot himself at the age of 76.
Personally I love Mambo Italiano.
1649084330703.png

Last edited:

Bill Huelbig

Second Unit
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
All these braggarts that saw these films on their original roadshow engagements on vast screens! Hmph!

Bob Merrill owns Broadway between 50th and 51st with Sondheim ascending on the block above. Though to be honest I don't believe Carnival was at the Winter Garden. Merrick was just advertising it on the empty theater's marquee.
The extraordinary Bob was name by Slate magazine as the worst songwriter ever. Just after he shot himself at the age of 76.
Personally I love Mambo Italiano.
View attachment 132959
Bob is back on Broadway right now, with the revival of Funny Girl starring Beanie Feldstein.

mark brown

Second Unit
The Greatest Story Ever Told was the longest story ever told for this eleven year old at the Continental on its new D150 screen in Cinerama. Still, truly beautiful to keep us awake and fascinated throughout!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Watched Bros. Grimm over the weekend. Hadn't seen it since my only viewing during its initial run in Cinerama at Puerto Rico. I was a wee teen and I remember enjoying it very much.
This viewing transported me to that time and I ended up with a smile on my face. I was a child again!
A heartfelt thank-you to all the dedicated people involved in this marvelous restoration.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

View attachment 132959
That's actually a pretty rare photo. Carnival! played the last couple of weeks of its run at the Winter Garden. I saw it the previous summer at the Imperial.

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
That's why there's nothing on the billboard then. Merrick didn't want to spend the money.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
My copy arrived in the UK yesterday and it looks and sounds fantastic, thanks so much to David, Tom and all.

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
A memo from Cinerama restoration team for Home Theater Forum members.

Just a word of advice when seeing the new “Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm” Blu-ray.
Since we are getting many amazing advance reviews on the quality of our restoration which is quite humbling and certainly appreciated, I wanted to say to not overly expect absolute perfection. With any digital restoration there will be many compromises made to make the best overall viewing experience for a general audience and that was our mission. My first request to you upon getting this release is to go to disc 2 and watch the 40-minute documentary “Rescuing a Fantasy Classic” by Harrison Engle. This documentary explains, in mostly layman’s terms, how this project came about and was, after many complications, finally accomplished. Hopefully this will give you an appreciation of the magnitude of our “Project Grimm” and how we came up with the choices we made.

I was watching an unrelated foreign Blu-ray last night, of a movie that had been (very poorly) converted to 3D. Rather than any semblance of 3D depth, instead the conversion made the film look like a flat image projected onto a concave curved screen. This was entirely wrong for the picture in question, but it left me wondering if something like this could actually benefit these Cinerama movies. Done right, it might even be a better compromise than Smilebox.

Of course, 3D support in televisions has essentially died out, and convincing viewers to put on 3D glasses for a 2D movie would be a tough sell in any event. Nevertheless, Mr. Shrohmaier, I'm curious if you ever tested anything like that when working on your restorations?

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
I think when you get it you should watch the film first for full enjoyment of the work itself with no preconceived notions and then watch the doc to see what was remarkably accomplished with exceedingly poor sources. It will be all the more surprising.

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Scent of Mystery[…]Dave Strohmaier looked into the cost of including the scratch-off scent cards with the Blu-ray but it would have been too expensive.
To defray costs, maybe the BD could include a tie-in coupon towards a purchase from the Elizabeth Taylor line of perfumes.:oops:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RGG
Recent bookmarks