What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Verdict -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The Morning After is one I saw on TV by chance and got sucked into it. The DVD is somewhat rare, but I've got it on order to hear the Lumet and Fonda commentary.
Also found an interesting article on the making of The Verdict, there's a bit of talk about the inspiration for the particular look of the film:
http://www.donshewey.com/arts_articles/sidney_lumet.html

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Richard--W said:
My mistake. This is what happens when too much movie trivia crams the brain. I confused Gordon Willis with Andrzej Bartkowiak.

The statement about blue is correct, however. The director and dp bled blue out of the mix because they were after a certain color pallet that would realize a certain aesthetic. This was widely discussed by them at the time of the film's release. It's one of the things I find most interesting about The Verdict, aside from the fact that it's a remarkable film on every level, and written by my favorite contemporary playwright.
There's plenty of blue in the photography actually - Mr. Newman's eyes for one obvious example, plus the weather outside for another. Where I would agree with you is that there's not much blue in clothing or set design. But they didn't drain blue from the film's timing or it wouldn't have any - blue :)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I think they did a lot with set dressing and lighting to get the effect, as referred to in the article i linked above.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Wow. It seems like Fox's newer catalog releases are a bit hit-and-miss. That Thing You Do was a disaster and now The Verdict? I guess they want to put more effort into their older classics, which I admire, but how much effort would it take to get The Verdict right?

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
This is such a bummer, since The Verdict is probably in my top ten. Watched it last night and it does look like little to no effort was made to clean it up. Could have been so much better with a new scan and dirt removal at least. Definitely from an older source. Watchable, barely. I'd agree with the 3 out of 5 given on this site, slanting towards lower.
Someone in the marketing department must have thought this would sell ten copies. Their $13 pricing point must mean "here it is and don't complain, 'cuz we're selling it cheap." I would've paid $20 for a nicely minted source.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Lromero1396 said:
Wow. It seems like Fox's newer catalog releases are a bit hit-and-miss. That Thing You Do was a disaster and now The Verdict? I guess they want to put more effort into their older classics, which I admire, but how much effort would it take to get The Verdict right?
That Thing You Do was absolutely not a disaster. You've obviously been reading the wrong reviews.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/322612-that-thing-you-do-blu-ray-review/

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
After reading this thread I decided to pick up the SD double disc edition for the extras that didn't make it over to the Blu and for quality which apparently at least matches the Blu.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just finished watching THE VERDICT for the very first time on Blu-ray.

Sensational film. Can't believe I missed this stunning performance from
Paul Newman all these years. And, what a treat to watch the great James
Mason in one of his final movie roles.

For me, not knowing perhaps how the film should look, I can't say that
resolution wise, the overall transfer looked as bad as it's being made out to
be. I did notice some softness issues. However, I had no idea that I had
bought, THE VERDICT: THE SPECKLED EDITION. There is just an array
of speckling throughout the entire print. You would think something like that
could have easily been cleaned up before releasing it to Blu-ray.

So, it's quite astonishing to see how much love was given to BRUBAKER and
how little was given to THE VERDICT. You would think the effort should have
gone to the latter title.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
The Verdict is just completely great in every respect. All this talk about it, and I'm going to have to watch it again. Soon.

It's too bad, because Newman's Absence of Malice from the year before is also thrilling -- if not quite the same caliber, but I still tend to think of the two of them in one breath -- and that one got quite a nice Blu-ray. And then there's The Color of Money a few years later..... Where was the LUV when it came to the transfers of these other great Newman films? What a shame.

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
Mr Epstein/Mr Hough, I´ve read on a website that there should be German audio on the disc?
Is it correct?
Thanks in advance.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Adrian, the disc includes English, Spanish, French, German, and Italian audio tracks.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Ronald Epstein said:
Just finished watching THE VERDICT for the very first time on Blu-ray.

Sensational film. Can't believe I missed this stunning performance from
Paul Newman all these years. And, what a treat to watch the great James
Mason in one of his final movie roles.

For me, not knowing perhaps how the film should look, I can't say that
resolution wise, the overall transfer looked as bad as it's being made out to
be. I did notice some softness issues. However, I had no idea that I had
bought, THE VERDICT: THE SPECKLED EDITION. There is just an array
of speckling throughout the entire print. You would think something like that
could have easily been cleaned up before releasing it to Blu-ray.

So, it's quite astonishing to see how much love was given to BRUBAKER and
how little was given to THE VERDICT. You would think the effort should have
gone to the latter title.
I would agree with Ron's assessment exactly. There was a great deal of dirt and artifact speckling through many parts of the movie, but overall I was satisfied with the presentation and resolution. It is certainly better than the existing DVD that I had.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Richard V said:
I would agree with Ron's assessment exactly. There was a great deal of dirt and artifact speckling through many parts of the movie, but overall I was satisfied with the presentation and resolution. It is certainly better than the existing DVD that I had.
I strongly suspect it's the same transfer as the last DVD - I'd be shocked to find out they did anything with that transfer to "update it" for Blu-ray...

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
Ray H said:
Adrian, the disc includes English, Spanish, French, German, and Italian audio tracks.
Thanks Ray.....- I´m looking forward for this film though I read that it hasn´t got the great picture quality of "Brubaker".

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
Robert Harris said:
Sidney Lumet's The Verdict, pitting two screen greats, Paul Newman and James Mason against one another as opposing attorneys, is one of the great legal dramas on film.

Nominated for five Academy Awards, inclusive of Best Picture and Best Actor (both Mr. Newman and Mr. Mason), Best Director and Best Screenplay (David Mamet), The Verdict is a piece of stellar entertainment.

I only wish that Fox agreed. Apparently they don't feel the film is worth a decent Blu-ray release.

What I'm seeing on screen appears to be from an older master. Lacking in resolution, shadow detail, and with a fully electronic look, it isn't a release for which anyone could take pride.

Audio is fine as DTS-HD MA 5.1, as well as original monaural.

Great film. I was looking forward to an equally great presentation on Blu-ray.

Image - 2

Audio - 5

No recommendation from these quarters.

RAH
It's been a few years on now, any whispers/ chances of a resto / re-scan of this title?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks