What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Vampire Lovers -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Everyone loves lesbians.

Most everyone loves vampires.

Using Sheridan Le Fanu's (1814-1873) Carmilla as a basis, Hammer Films, Fantale Films and American-International, created The Vampire Lovers.

What could possibly be better than lesbian vampires?

The new Blu-ray from Scream Factory does justice to the film in a general sense.  I'm not an expert on either Hammer or Vampire Lovers.  I saw it when it arrived in the early '70s, and have no memory of what it looked like.

The film is a melange of original photography, what appears to be a bit of stock footage from other films, and various generations of dupes.  The end result is a decent quality affair.  A bit of minus density dirt (which could have been removed -- I'm thinking Olive here), but beyond that a very solid image for what is essentially a low-budget B product, that has taken a place in cinema history.

Nothing shocking here.  A post Woodstock, gothic tale of vampirism, based upon a solid piece of literature, and a perfectly acceptable Blu-ray experience.

Image - 3.5

Audio - 4

Recommended.

RAH

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This is very low on my list of good Hammer films, but as a completist I decided to upgrade from my old MGM 'Midnite Movies' line. Needless to say if it is Hammer and on Blu-Ray I will get it(that even goes for the dreadful 'Taste The Blood Of Dracula' if WB ever releases it!).

Robert Harris said:
Nothing shocking here. A post Woodstock, gothic tale of vampirism, based upon a solid piece of literature, and a perfectly acceptable Blu-ray experience.
Well said.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
This isn't the same transfer used for the old MGM double-feature DVD, is it? I'm hearing that it might be.

Regarding Herzog's NOSFERATU -- please, somebody, release it NOW on blu-ray. An hypnotic morbid beauty of a vampire film.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Beautifully designed film, Ingrid Pitt and her female co-stars (particularly Kate O'Mara) are all lovely. I've always felt this film underrated. Bring on "Dr Jekyll & Sister Hyde".

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
John Hodson said:
The BFI are starting up a Herzog Blu-ray collection soon, though only Aguirre is currently confirmed. Nosferatu seems a dead cert though. Hopefully it'll come without the apparent DNR of the German release.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Richard--W said:
Regarding Herzog's NOSFERATU -- please, somebody, release it NOW on blu-ray. An hypnotic morbid beauty of a vampire film.
Yes indeed.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Ingrid Pitt was also great in Where Eagles Dare (with co-star Mary Ure). The Vampire Lovers is not one of my favourite Hammer films. At the top of my list is The Brides of Dracula arriving soon on blu-ray.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
classicmovieguy said:
Beautifully designed film, Ingrid Pitt and her female co-stars (particularly Kate O'Mara) are all lovely. I've always felt this film underrated. Bring on "Dr Jekyll & Sister Hyde".
I just watched this night before last, and I can't underrate this film enough. The acting is generally poor, the plot is a confusing muddle, and the film proves that nudity does not always generate eroticism. A disappointing film.

And what's with the dude with the long teeth we see on horseback from time to time? What was his purpose? It wasn't to protect his fellow vampires. I guess he just likes to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks