What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Terror (AMC) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For transparency's sake, let it be known, as I write these few words, that I'm a huge fan of Dan Simmons, and find it odd that nowhere in the packaging of this 3-disc set is there any mention of his novel as the basis of the series.

If you've not read the book, now is your chance.

That noted, The Terror, which was exec produced by (among others) Ridley Scott, is superb entertainment, and proves just how far made for broadcast, limited series, drama has come.

I'll give no background other than to say that the basic premise concerns an exploratory mission by the British Royal Navy, and how things go a bit off track.

For those aware of Shackleton, The Terror makes that voyage look like a visit to Disneyland.

Lionsgate's new Blu-ray is magnificent in every detail, from its cinematography via Red Epic Dragon to its track, presented in Dolby TrueHD 7.1

The imagery has a beautiful cast to it, at times taking on an almost indigo appearance. This is not teal.

My advice is two-fold.

Read the original book.

And then, see the AMC series.

The second season will have nothing to do with the first, and is not based upon the Simmons novel. What is will be, remains to be seen

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I had the book for ages (a thick old book) & never did get around to reading it. No sign of a European release yet (& I haven't seen it), so I'm hoping this is region A & B.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Tuned into this series and was more than pleasantly surprised; terrific story and acting. I had never read Simmons' book but had read other accounts of the expeditions and was happy they preserved key details that, for those who didn't know, provide a great twist. You have to pay attention to many characters, dialogue and details, but I can't recommend this highly enough.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I had the book for ages (a thick old book) & never did get around to reading it. No sign of a European release yet (& I haven't seen it), so I'm hoping this is region A & B.
I enjoyed the series more than the book. I found the book to be an interminable slog (but I did finish it).

I still don't know how they're going to make a second season out of this.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
That first season was right up my alley and I’d looked forward to the eventual release.

Next order of business: get the book, proceed with instructions.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the series more than the book. I found the book to be an interminable slog (but I did finish it).

I still don't know how they're going to make a second season out of this.

It's going to be a completely different story, not a continuation of the narrative/characters from S1...

Patrick H.

Second Unit
I absolutely loved this show, but had a question regarding the final episode. I'm currently listening via stereo downmix (my surround system has been in storage since a recent move), and on the last installment the dialogue is barely audible and even the title music is completely missing its melody line. The music I realize could be a deliberate choice, but while the dialogue is often quiet on this show and I use subtitles to decipher some accents, that seemed abnormal. Is there a glitch with the encoding, or perhaps a channel missing? Or am I just encountering a strange downmix issue with this particular episode?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It's going to be a completely different story, not a continuation of the narrative/characters from S1...
Yes, the story of The Terror has been completed. I wonder if they’ll do another Simmons novel? I don’t usually like drab, somber, and depressing stories, but I loved this. I knew some of the history, there would be no happy ending. The actors are all superb.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the story of The Terror has been completed. I wonder if they’ll do another Simmons novel? I don’t usually like drab, somber, and depressing stories, but I loved this. I knew some of the history, there would be no happy ending. The actors are all superb.

From an announcement of S2:

"The next iteration, co-created and executive-produced by Alexander Woo (True Blood) and Max Borenstein (Kong: Skull Island, Godzilla), will be set during World War II and center on an uncanny specter that menaces a Japanese-American community from its home in Southern California to the internment camps to the war in the Pacific."

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
From an announcement of S2:

"The next iteration, co-created and executive-produced by Alexander Woo (True Blood) and Max Borenstein (Kong: Skull Island, Godzilla), will be set during World War II and center on an uncanny specter that menaces a Japanese-American community from its home in Southern California to the internment camps to the war in the Pacific."
Terror was a very somber atmosphere and this one has that potential too. I think this will be the first portrayal of life in the Japanese internment camps that I will have seen. I’m in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks