What's new

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Holm was always a supporting character actress. I wonder if that had something to do with her bitterness. She also wanted very much to do Ado Annie in the film of Oklahoma and she had the full support of Agnes DeMille. Rodgers and Hammerstein thought she had gotten too old and gave it to the unique Grahame. Celeste always came across as the grande dame of the theatre when not on stage or film.

Last edited:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I enjoyed a plane ride from LA to NYC sitting next to Miss Holm. I had a wonderful 5 hour trip talking with her and loved her stories, as long as I did not ask about Bette Davis or All About Eve. She even sang Sentimental Journey to me.
Yes I could certainly tell she had Hollywood Demons and she was flying back after a losing a role in Evening Star to Marion Ross because, as she said Shirley McClain was a BITCH. LOL

To be honest, I know Shirley and she is an amazing women.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I am a big fan of The Tender Trap; it remains very entertaining and I happy it is getting such a good presentation. The Sinatra opening is just terrific and that Sinatra persona is pitch perfect here. Both Debbie Reynolds and Celeste Holm are in peak form as well; Celeste was equally good in High Society opposite Sinatra. I'll also order that blu-ray as well, whenever WarnerArchive releases it!

Celeste Holm was a tough one. For many years as she walked through Manhattan if anyone asked for an autograph she only consented if they paid a quarter which she said she'd donate to Unicef. There were always blind items in the NYC papers asking which award-winning actress asked for charity donations for autographs and then just pocketed the money. Her final years were indeed depressing with family feuds and financial issues. Still, there were some bright spots; she was absolutely charming as one of the Brewster Aunts to Alec Baldwin's Mortimer Brewster in a staged reading of Arsenic and Old Lace in 2000 at City Center.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I'm a big fan of Shirley but I feel I have to put aside a lot of what I hear about her personally. She rarely comes across well. So I'm glad you like her so much.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm a big fan of Shirley but I feel I have to put aside a lot of what I hear about her personally. She rarely comes across well. So I'm glad you like her so much.
Quote I Am Serious GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time
The PBS has been re-running the Uptown Downton Abbey and Ms. Beaty's episodes were airing - she's still a hoot ...

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I enjoyed a plane ride from LA to NYC sitting next to Miss Holm. I had a wonderful 5 hour trip talking with her and loved her stories, as long as I did not ask about Bette Davis or All About Eve. She even sang Sentimental Journey to me.
Yes I could certainly tell she had Hollywood Demons and she was flying back after a losing a role in Evening Star to Marion Ross because, as she said Shirley McClain was a BITCH. LOL

Women? Is that a crack at MacLaine's belief she was another person in a past life? :)

According to Leonard Maltin, "Ross stands out as MacLaine's loyal longtime housekeeper and friend." Would Celeste Holm have gotten a similar review?

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Regarding Celeste Holm being 'bitter' in interviews. I think she has every right to be resentful. There are various tales as to why her career was almost immediately derailed after her outstanding performance in Gentleman's Agreement, but the most widely circulated as to do with Zanuck wanting 'special favors' which Ms. Holm was not willing to grant, and Zanuck, shortly thereafter doing everything he could to minimize her importance in increasingly featherweight and disposable junk, expressly designed to tear down her reputation as a quality star.

There are huge hiccups in her career, some interrupted by marriages and attempts to be blissfully happy out of the spotlight, but mostly, from a hard-working star who wasn't willing to let her career go to hell - and Zanuck be damned for trying. I remember her rather fondly on ABC's Loving - playing a hard-nosed matriarch, often better than the material she was given on that daytime soap. I also enjoyed her brief appearances on Falcon Crest.
She also made a few appearances on Archie Bunker's Place as a distant relative of Archie's (his niece's grandmother, whatever that would be). They battled in court over the niece's custody in one plotline. Needless to say, they didn't get along.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
She also made a few appearances on Archie Bunker's Place as a distant relative of Archie's (his niece's grandmother, whatever that would be). They battled in court over the niece's custody in one plotline. Needless to say, they didn't get along.
She played a rich _itch who sued for custody of Danielle Brisebois' character- Stephanie - (to the Stephanie's dismay) because because her character felt that Archie was a poor (in both senses of the word) influence on Stephanie and with her money Stephanie could go to Europe and be educated at the finest schools - something Archie could not provide. The grandmother was estranged from Stephanie's mother who was um "Bohemian" ...

1623494689056.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks