What's new

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched the 4K UHD of The Ten Commandments over the last two nights. I watched on a Sony 83” OLED 4K display. This is the first time watching this disc and on this large panel. Previous viewings are from the big box stone tablet blu ray set on a 1080p Panasonic 65” plasma. I thought the Blu ray looked great on the plasma.

What I am finding is that I feel like the Sony’s image processing must be doing a lot more then the old plasma could have to wring out more image quality out of standard blu rays. I’ve been watching many blu rays and I’m just amazed at how good those look on this display. So when I played 4K UHD disc of The Ten Commandments, wow! As the titles played, I was just swimming in the rich deep red color and texture of the leather bound titles sequence.

I’m no expert in this film, or the historical accuracy of the story, I’ve seen it plenty of times though! It was great to see all the details and colors on the costumes. The armor that Ramses and Seti wear are very impressive looking now. In the scene when the muddy Heston is with Ann Baxter on her barge, I could sometimes see the mud and water drips on Baxter‘s costume as they interacted.

In the past, I’m always feeling the need to look at the matte lines whenever there are opticals. The scene when Moses is working with Baka to lift the obelisk, that shot always draws my eyes to the separation of the live action plate to the opticals in the background. It’s done really well, but I like to look for it. In the new 4K disc, that seam is still very clearly a black thin outline, but the integration of the opticals looks better. The same during the sequence when Moses is exiled to the desert by Ramses. There’s that mixture of live action studio footage and mixed with the opticals of the desert background.

As the film progresses after the intermission, it’s pretty spectacular from when the water is separated to the sequences at Mt Sinai. The climax with the 2 tablets was visual spectacle.

I came away from this viewing with a new appraisal of the film. I replayed the last 10 minutes of the film and I listened to the audio commentary. I did not know that DeMille had hired Arnold Friberg to create the production design paintings and create some of the character designs. When re-viewing the creation of the 2 tablets and then the rest of the film, I can really see how those shots were all based on the Friberg paintings and they do have that quality to the shots. There are dark scenes with the light focused only on the characters. It’s quite a visual spectacle, very rich in color and shade and textures. I can really appreciate the artwork created by Friberg that the major sequences in the movie are based.

I’m curious to compare to the old blu ray now on this new display. I shouldn’t be surprised, but I am impressed by the major difference a large calibrated good quality screen can have in the viewing experience.

I forgot to add, too bad Ron Smith is no longer at Paramount.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I watched the 4K UHD of The Ten Commandments over the last two nights. I watched on a Sony 83” OLED 4K display. This is the first time watching this disc and on this large panel. Previous viewings are from the big box stone tablet blu ray set on a 1080p Panasonic 65” plasma. I thought the Blu ray looked great on the plasma.

What I am finding is that I feel like the Sony’s image processing must be doing a lot more then the old plasma could have to wring out more image quality out of standard blu rays. I’ve been watching many blu rays and I’m just amazed at how good those look on this display. So when I played 4K UHD disc of The Ten Commandments, wow! As the titles played, I was just swimming in the rich deep red color and texture of the leather bound titles sequence.

I’m no expert in this film, or the historical accuracy of the story, I’ve seen it plenty of times though! It was great to see all the details and colors on the costumes. The armor that Ramses and Seti wear are very impressive looking now. In the scene when the muddy Heston is with Ann Baxter on her barge, I could sometimes see the mud and water drips on Baxter‘s costume as they interacted.

In the past, I’m always feeling the need to look at the matte lines whenever there are opticals. The scene when Moses is working with Baka to lift the obelisk, that shot always draws my eyes to the separation of the live action plate to the opticals in the background. It’s done really well, but I like to look for it. In the new 4K disc, that seam is still very clearly a black thin outline, but the integration of the opticals looks better. The same during the sequence when Moses is exiled to the desert by Ramses. There’s that mixture of live action studio footage and mixed with the opticals of the desert background.

As the film progresses after the intermission, it’s pretty spectacular from when the water is separated to the sequences at Mt Sinai. The climax with the 2 tablets was visual spectacle.

I came away from this viewing with a new appraisal of the film. I replayed the last 10 minutes of the film and I listened to the audio commentary. I did not know that DeMille had hired Arnold Friberg to create the production design paintings and create some of the character designs. When re-viewing the creation of the 2 tablets and then the rest of the film, I can really see how those shots were all based on the Friberg paintings and they do have that quality to the shots. There are dark scenes with the light focused only on the characters. It’s quite a visual spectacle, very rich in color and shade and textures. I can really appreciate the artwork created by Friberg that the major sequences in the movie are based.

I’m curious to compare to the old blu ray now on this new display. I shouldn’t be surprised, but I am impressed by the major difference a large calibrated good quality screen can have in the viewing experience.

I forgot to add, too bad Ron Smith is no longer at Paramount.
Mr. Smith did a masterful piece of work with this, armed with a bit of alien layer info.

A true gentleman.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Updated 4/2/21

Cecil B. DeMille's second epic consideration of that trek across the desert, and all the surrounding hoopla has made it to 4k, with its VistaVision look intact.

The new release appears to be derived from the same restorative efforts performed c. 2008, and while 4k does add some extra resolution, those who already own the earlier Blu-ray, which is a high quality affair, may want to think twice before upgrading, unless they have a large screen.

The two variants appear the same in all areas. The single problem that I had with the Blu-ray was a lack of air in the blacks, and the 4k has precisely the same anomaly, with detail missing in virtually anything black. This does not come from HDR, which seems to have been used sparingly. The film plays nicely with projectors.

I’m also pleased to report that the matte lines are not a problem. Same as Blu.

No doubt about it. The film is historically important. Dialogue sequences still play akin to a filmed stage drama, but in the end, it's great fun.

Audio is requisitely huge for the era.

As to the set itself - It's three discs 1-4k, and the same two Blu-rays that appeared earlier. If the 1923 version could have been included, dropping the Blu-ray, and leaving the extras, this would have been a more intriguing release.

4k Image – 4.5

Audio – 5 (DTD-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - If you love the film, and have a large screen

Highly Recommended

RAH
Am I correct to assume, RAH, that the largest screen I have, which is that of an 85" 16X9 aspect ratio UHD TV, falls below the range of screen sizes which you would define as being large?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Am I correct to assume, RAH, that the largest screen I have, which is that of an 85" 16X9 aspect ratio UHD TV, falls below the range of screen sizes which you would define as being large?
No. That’s a very good size for a panel. A quality 4k disc can be projected on a theater screen and hold quality.

I’ve run discs at 37 feet wide and the image holds.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
RAH, I apologize for my long delayed response, as I really appreciate that you took some time to answer my question. Your answer had me saying WOW to myself.

Because that's a quite impressive thought for me to be imagining, of projecting quality 4k discs on a screen as large as 37 feet, and the image quality holding up nicely. And if such presentations take place in your home, you sure must have one huge great room!

Thanks again for your reply. Be well, and I hope that the Christmas season brings much enjoyment and good health for you, and for your loved ones, as well as during many years that lie ahead of us.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
RAH, I apologize for my long delayed response, as I really appreciate that you took some time to answer my question. Your answer had me saying WOW to myself.

Because that's a quite impressive thought for me to be imagining, of projecting quality 4k discs on a screen as large as 37 feet, and the image quality holding up nicely. And if such presentations take place in your home, you sure must have one huge great room!

Thanks again for your reply. Be well, and I hope that the Christmas season brings much enjoyment and good health for you, and for your loved ones, as well as during many years that lie ahead of us.
If that presentation took place in my home, I assure you I’d be singing with the castrati!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I gave the the first half of the disc a spin last night. The color is gorgeous (as Technicolor often is) and the subtle use of HDR was perfect. I do agree with RAH about the slight black crush, but also some of the typical Paramount grain management. Some scenes and particularly facial skin tones look a little bit too smooth. However, all in all, pretty impressive disc 4K projected.

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
I gave the the first half of the disc a spin last night. The color is gorgeous (as Technicolor often is) and the subtle use of HDR was perfect. I do agree with RAH about the slight black crush, but also some of the typical Paramount grain management. Some scenes and particularly facial skin tones look a little bit too smooth. However, all in all, pretty impressive disc 4K projected.
My Favourite film of all time. I was dissapointed with the black crush in the HDR copy when my BD copy never had it. Just check and compare the black suit of Cecil B. DeMilles in the prologue between the HDR and BD copy, one has detail the other doesnt.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
My Favourite film of all time. I was dissapointed with the black crush in the HDR copy when my BD copy never had it. Just check and compare the black suit of Cecil B. DeMilles in the prologue between the HDR and BD copy, one has detail the other doesnt.

I will definitely take a look at the BD.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
murrayThompson is that really your home cinema? Goodness me! That's a 2.55:1 original CinemaScope!

Anyways it seems so to me. I've noted the only time I've ever seen it was at Radio City when they revived Seven Brides in the late 70s. The barn raising scene was the most exciting I've ever seen it and it must have been thrilling for audiences during its original run there.

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
murrayThompson is that really your home cinema? Goodness me! That's a 2.55:1 original CinemaScope!

Anyways it seems so to me. I've noted the only time I've ever seen it was at Radio City when they revived Seven Brides in the late 70s. The barn raising scene was the most exciting I've ever seen it and it must have been thrilling for audiences during its original run there.
Yes that is certainly my home cinema! I was a cinema projectionist for 35+ years and trained at the age of 16 by two real old showmen, they both are well and truly gone today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks