What's new

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I also Cancelled and Re-Ordered from Amazon, The10C 4K & TGSOE Blu. New delivery date is now March 30 ! :D :banana:
The problem with AmaZon and other entities these day is "So it is written, so it MAY be done" ... <_<

Here is the status of my Target Pre-Order
1616614802514.png
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I may be knit-picking, but I’m unhappy with black levels, which should be more natural and open. I’m also seeing some differentiation in grain structure. For example, a large area may have normal grain, but skin areas will be virtually grainless.

Keep in mind that the element has dye fade, and the process that my group shepherded to alleviate the problem was given to the studio. The proper use of the process is, however, a bit more complex than one might presume on the surface. One size does not fit all, and getting things correct can be a bit of a deep dive.

Spartacus, for example, too, needed more massaging than one might expect, but appears more accurate.

Same stocks, same lab, virtually the same problems, with variances.

Robert and I view and consider films from two very different perspectives. He’s much more forgiving.

Robert, do you think the 1959 Ben-Hur would benefit from a 4K release with it's 2.76 AR? I sit 16 feet from my 86 inch TV. Would I notice the difference over the 2K Blu-ray?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert, do you think the 1959 Ben-Hur would benefit from a 4K release with it's 2.76 AR? I sit 16 feet from my 86 inch TV. Would I notice the difference over the 2K Blu-ray?
Probably not.

Projected on a large screen would be another matter.

I'd love to see a 4k release.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I buy very few 4K discs because on my 60" screen I see very little difference in picture quality to regular Blu-rays. I now have the 4K 10C and doing a quick comparison I can see a very slight improvement in definition. Nevertheless I'm happy to have it and add my support to releases of classic movies. In case anyone wonders, even at my advanced age my eyesight is perfect having recently taken delivery of new prescription glasses!

JimMiller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim Miller
Just finished the first hour of this disc. It took me two hours to get through it as I kept stopping it to stare at the BEAUTIFUL close-ups of the cast! Honestly, this has to be one of the most gorgeous, if not THE most gorgeous, presentations of a classic film I have ever seen. The colors are truly stunning. I didn't compare it to the previous, non-4K disc, but I'm thrilled with this one!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
For my 4K viewing this Easter I’m going to project it in a new aspect ratio. Even though the “recommended” aspect ratio for all VistaVision films is 1.85:1, they were supposed to be protected for 1.66:1-2.00:1, so I’m going to give the maximum 2.00:1 a try, as I believe a lot of folks saw it in that ratio back in 1956.
Now that I’ve got access to the 4K version, I’ve done some experimenting with mattes (via my projector’s pixel-blanking capabilities) and I’ve found that matting to 1.85:1 retains perfect composition and doesn’t even clip the decorative banners in the credits, however, matting to 2:1 is too tight and does actually clip one credit scene on the bottom. The maximum amount I was able to matte without clipping any credit text was 1.92:1, which is the setting I’m going to use when I watch it this weekend.

RICK BOND

Supporting Actor
Real Name
RICK
I got mine yesterday ! It looks Great in 4K ! :D Only problem is when disc starts you have to skip 12 chapters of all different languages that show on screen. :huh::unsure: Annoying.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Sometimes with my Amazon order they ship it out a week or two after the release date. Not sure why they do that while at Best Buy they ship my new releases quickly.

mark brown

Second Unit
Watched beautiful 4k Ten Commandments last night! Tonight is Greatest Show on Earth. I am sure I will be dissapointed by comparison.

RICK BOND

Supporting Actor
Real Name
RICK
Watched beautiful 4k Ten Commandments last night! Tonight is Greatest Show on Earth. I am sure I will be dissapointed by comparison.
Mark, Yesterday I watched Ten C up until the Intermission. Beautiful ! :D I could not wait to see Greatest Show PQ. It looks Gorgeous ! :D The Best I have ever seen it in it's proper screen size. Amazon Prime has it in HD, but it's blown up to look like it was made in Vistavision. :rolleyes: That's Not right. I can't wait to see Last Train From Gun Hill. :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I got mine yesterday ! It looks Great in 4K ! :D Only problem is when disc starts you have to skip 12 chapters of all different languages that show on screen. :huh::unsure: Annoying.

You can always access the chapter menu. Sometimes if you go "Chapter 1", a disc will still send you through those "pre-chapters", but if you go "Chapter 2", it should skip them and you can just click back to C1.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
I'm glad I received my disc yesterday from Amazon before I read this thread. Comparing my earlier BD with the 4k rendition on a 65" OLED, I see a marked improvement. As an earlier quoted review noted, details pop, fabrics are more distinct, golden armbands sparkle, the Ethiopians in the throne room dance in an even greater riot of color. All in all, the new disc is a worthwhile improvement.

(In preparation for the new disc, I watched/listened to the wonderful commentary by Katherine Orrison. While not the most important point she made, I greatly enjoyed her pointing out Fraser Heston's diaper pin visible in basket scenes. I'd not noticed that before.)

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Pressing "Top Menu" does not work on the 4K disc to get to the main menu when the warnings are played. Also be aware there is no "resume" function on the 4K so if you stop the player (or pause it and it goes into auto-shut down) you have to go through the whole megilla of the warnings both when you start the disk and when you finally get past the newest Paramount/CBS mountain logo.

The blu-rays enclosed must be from ca 2010 A.C.E as they include a "Paramount Digital" logo ....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CodyCookie