What's new

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
A 4.5 from RAH is a 5 to my uneducated eyes!

I pick some (k)nits with RAH's grades, as I think he can be too liberal with 5s - and I still find myself perplexed that he so easily forgave all the print flaws on "Greatest Show On Earth".

I just don't get the not-infrequent notion here that anything less than a 5 from RAH = dog poop!

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Another perspective: Back in the early '70's I saw TEN COMMANDMENTS in the small southern town of Franklin, Va at the Lyon State theater. It was a hot summer night and I don't think it had debuted on tv at that point. In any case I had never seen it and was excited to get this opportunity. What I realized upon taking my seat was that the audience was largely the congregation of a local Pentecostal church. As it turned out the audience made the film all that more interesting---by the time the Red Sea parted it was like I was in a revival meeting with shouts of "praise the Lord" and such. It is an experience I will never forget. As much as I love my little home theater it must be said the interaction of a group of people watching a movie can add so much.

Chuck_Kahn

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys for the replies.

Sorry Colin, if RAH is saying the matte lines were dealt with for the blu, then it sounds like to me that the new 4K and blu ray discs are made using the same source. :)
From the same scan, but the press release says it was a 2010 scan (RAH said 2008) and "Paramount spent well over 150 hours doing new color work and clean-up on the scan." And yet people are saying it barely looks improved? You'd think 8-perf would look amazing in 4K.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
From the same scan, but the press release says it was a 2010 scan (RAH said 2008) and "Paramount spent well over 150 hours doing new color work and clean-up on the scan." And yet people are saying it barely looks improved? You'd think 8-perf would look amazing in 4K.
My date of 2008 was approx. The new 4k is a wonderful release. The Blu, however, as also superb. 4k shows improvements, but I’ll repeat, most noticeable on larger panels and projection, especially if one is seated at a normal distance, as that distance equalizes the improvements.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Amazon told me I will be getting both of the C B. Demille releases I ordered on April 1. I hope so.

Last edited:

midvalleyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I’d love to see the 4K but will have to wait until I have a 4K TV and 4K Blu-ray player.

In the meantime I’m very happy with the 2-disc 2012 Blu-ray – stunning picture quality. It’s a shame that it has absolutely no extras, not even the excellent Katherine Orrison commentary! I downloaded a copy of the very interesting “Making Miracles” documentary as some sort of consolation.

It seems there are quite a few Blu-ray versions with varying extras that can be purchased. But I’ll have to stick with what I have for the moment.

For the moment, I’m glad I have the 2009 DVD 2-disc Region 4 PAL Special Collectors Edition, generously packed with special features including the Orrison commentary and a 6-part documentary.

I’ve attached a few pics from the 24 page original Australian souvenir program.

Attachments

• 10c0mcover.jpg
    10c0mcover.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 10comcredits.jpg
    10comcredits.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 10comdancers.jpg
    10comdancers.jpg
    457 KB · Views: 27
  • 10comdemille.jpg
    10comdemille.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 37

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks