What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Mr C never saw this one either is it really THAT GOOD????

There's always the danger of over-hyping something so I don't want to do that. Just know it's a compelling (and very dark) film noir in which Stanwyck plays a deliciously bad girl who, apparently, really likes cats. The actors are at top form and it's a real potboiler. Individual mileage may vary but I've always enjoyed it. As usual, Stanwyck can do no wrong. (I don't think she was capable of giving a false performance, ever.)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There's always the danger of over-hyping something so I don't want to do that. Just know it's a compelling (and very dark) film noir in which Stanwyck plays a deliciously bad girl who, apparently, really likes cats. The actors are at top form and it's a real potboiler. Individual mileage may vary but I've always enjoyed it. As usual, Stanwyck can do no wrong. (I don't think she was capable of giving a false performance, ever.)
As Eddie Muller has stated many times, the best actress to come out of the Golden Age of Hollywood.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
As Eddie Muller has stated many times, the best actress to come out of the Golden Age of Hollywood.
She shined in everything she did = you can take the girl out of the Bronx but cannot take the Bronx out of the girl! Sorry Ms Stanwyck you can take the girl out of the Brooklyn but cannot take the Brooklyn out of the girl!

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Last edited:

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I rented the DVD from Netflix and enjoyed the movie, hopefully I'll be able stream this improved transfer some day!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Kino's announcement and what's posted on Amazon doesn't mention "restoration". They state the following:

"Remastered in HD by Paramount Pictures – From a 4K Scan of the 35mm Fine Grain"
I know you and I both picked up the Paramount iTunes version when it first went on sale. Looking at it now, it seems to look pretty darn good - I don’t see any dirt specks and the image seems pretty stable. Just wondering if the new master is already on iTunes? :confused: Perhaps next month when you get the disc, you’ll find a spare minute to do a quick comparison to see if they are the same transfer or not? :)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Another film rescues from PD hell, and the first time I've seen The Strange Love of Martha Ivers in quality form. As such, I have no idea why it fell into the public domain in 1974, but strangers things have occurred.

I also have no idea why the film is coming from Paramount, and not Universal via Kino, but it makes no matter.

Martha Ivers is an important film from a number of perspectives.

Probably at the top of the list is that it marked the first appearance of a 29 year-old actor named Kirk Douglas. For his first film, he was fortunate to be directed by Lewis Milestone, who had been at his craft since 1918.

The film actually stars Barbara Stanwyk, Van Heflin and Lizabeth Scott, with Mr. Douglas receiving a ubiquitous "introducing" credit.

The film was produced by Hal B. Wallis, shot by Victor Milner, with a screenplay by Robert Rossen and a score by Miklós Rózsa.

It was a quality production, and was nominated by the Academy for Best Writing, Original story.

Bottom line, it's great noir.

The Blu-ray is derived from a quality fine grain, without apparent restorative efforts, but none seems necessary. There are very occasional bits of what are termed on the web as "age related artifacts," none of which is ever problematic.

Nice gray scale, black levels, grain structure. everything seems in the proper place.

Image - 3.75

Audio – 5 (Monaural)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH
Just curious. For a few non-sequitur 'age related artifacts' the image score gets dumbed down to 3.75? Not judging. Just wondering.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know you and I both picked up the Paramount iTunes version when it first went on sale. Looking at it now, it seems to look pretty darn good - I don’t see any dirt specks and the image seems pretty stable. Just wondering if the new master is already on iTunes? :confused: Perhaps next month when you get the disc, you’ll find a spare minute to do a quick comparison to see if they are the same transfer or not? :)
I might do that because I love this movie so much I can see watching this Blu-ray a couple of times. The last time I watched that digital, it looked like it was derived from the same scan as the 2005 DVD. I purchased that digital almost two years to the day.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Just curious. For a few non-sequitur 'age related artifacts' the image score gets dumbed down to 3.75? Not judging. Just wondering.
Nothing wrong with a 3.75 for a basically unrestored image from a fine grain. Light scratches et al.

But overall, a very nice version of the film.

One could split grades, which I generally prefer not to do, but this isn't a 4.

Keep in mind, 5 is a new film and perfect. 4.75 is just slightly less so.

A 4 can still be a restored film from older elements, but with some minor problems.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
@Mark-P The iTunes HD digital is derived from the same scan used on the Kino Blu-ray. Both of them have the same film anomalies, though, the detail on the Blu-ray looks better than the digital. I also have the Imprint Blu-ray which I haven't watch yet as I'm still watching the Kino Blu-ray again with Alan K. Rode's audio commentary. I expect the Kino and Imprint Blu-rays to look the same, though, the Imprint release has a lot more bonus material.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
@Mark-P The iTunes HD digital is derived from the same scan used on the Kino Blu-ray. Both of them have the same film anomalies, though, the detail on the Blu-ray looks better than the digital. I also have the Imprint Blu-ray which I haven't watch yet as I'm still watching the Kino Blu-ray again with Alan K. Rode's audio commentary. I expect the Kino and Imprint Blu-rays to look the same, though, the Imprint release has a lot more bonus material.
Good to know! I’m glad physical media lovers have the option of the Kino Blu-ray, but I’m even more glad that my digital purchase is the same master. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Good to know! I’m glad physical media lovers have the option of the Kino Blu-ray, but I’m even more glad that my digital purchase is the same master. :)
Well, I wouldn't call myself a physical media lover, but the disc has a more detailed video presentation that is especially apparent during the several "rain falling" film sequences in the movie. Furthermore, I like bonus material and the digital doesn't offer any. I'm more of a movie lover!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcrouch1983
Recent bookmarks