What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Another film rescues from PD hell, and the first time I've seen The Strange Love of Martha Ivers in quality form. As such, I have no idea why it fell into the public domain in 1974, but strangers things have occurred.

I also have no idea why the film is coming from Paramount, and not Universal via Kino, but it makes no matter.

Martha Ivers is an important film from a number of perspectives.

Probably at the top of the list is that it marked the first appearance of a 29 year-old actor named Kirk Douglas. For his first film, he was fortunate to be directed by Lewis Milestone, who had been at his craft since 1918.

The film actually stars Barbara Stanwyk, Van Heflin and Lizabeth Scott, with Mr. Douglas receiving a ubiquitous "introducing" credit.

The film was produced by Hal B. Wallis, shot by Victor Milner, with a screenplay by Robert Rossen and a score by Miklós Rózsa.

It was a quality production, and was nominated by the Academy for Best Writing, Original story.

Bottom line, it's great noir.

The Blu-ray is derived from a quality fine grain, without apparent restorative efforts, but none seems necessary. There are very occasional bits of what are termed on the web as "age related artifacts," none of which is ever problematic.

Nice gray scale, black levels, grain structure. everything seems in the proper place.

Image - 3.75

Audio – 5 (Monaural)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One of my favorite classic Stanwyck lines taken from this film:

"Stanwyck: I'll go and change.

Stanwyck: I wouldn't want Sam (Heflin) to see me in the same dress twice."

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
There was an earlier 2012 Blu-Ray that's still on sale at Amazon. Studio listed as "Film Chest Company". Was this another crummy PD transfer?

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
I am almost certain that had this film’s copyright been renewed, it would have more likely ended up with Universal. DESERT FURY, another Wallis production and pre-’50 Paramount, had its copyright renewed by EMKA/Uni as it was part of the package bought by EMKA in 1957.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Interesting that Kino is using the same Movie Poster art that Film Chest used - with some minor tweaks here and there. Barbara has her hungry mouth open - eager for the taste of Van's.......dimpled chin? Or lower lip? Or is she pushing Van away so she can savor the flavor of her thumb's peeling red nail polish?

Martha's Lovers.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Interesting that Kino is using the same Movie Poster art that Film Chest used - with some minor tweaks here and there. Barbara has her hungry mouth open - eager for the taste of Van's.......dimpled chin? Or lower lip? Or is she pushing Van away so she can savor the flavor of her thumb's peeling red nail polish?

View attachment 150465
I don't care just as long as it's not the same transfer as that 2012 Blu-ray.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Kino's announcement and what's posted on Amazon doesn't mention "restoration". They state the following:

"Remastered in HD by Paramount Pictures – From a 4K Scan of the 35mm Fine Grain"

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Yeah. Oh well the not so reliable Blu-ray.com said:

Loves .jpeg

As long as it's a fresh scan from a healthy element or elements!

Last edited:

DannyLewis

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, for the most part, Hal Wallis films produced at Paramount stayed with Paramount
I think a few exceptions remained with Paramount.
At least Affairs of Susan, Love letters, Perfect Marriage, Desert Fury, The Searching wind, So Evil my love, The Accused are all with Universal

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulg1000
Recent bookmarks