What's new

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
4K version now available on iTunes. I'm curious as to what this means if you play the iTunes file on a 1080p TV.
Shouldn't mean anything except your TV will not display it in anything higher than 1080p.
Not necessarily. Sometimes iTunes uses the new master for 1080p, sometimes the old one.

Yep, and I just quickly checked on my PC (via iTunes), and it looks like it might be the new transfer... although I don't have the 4K disc nor my old BD to compare at the moment (and it's been quite a while since I watched the old BD). The initial several minutes certainly look grainy enough w/ no signs of excessive DNR on my PC -- and the daylight scene w/ Redford's initial appearance looks very sharp and detailed.

_Man_

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
To be honest, I haven't been impressed with a number of remastered BDs that accompany the UHD BD. Standalone remastered BDs (where no UHD BD exists) have held up much better.

I've speculated that there is some kind of cheap and easy HDR to SDR conversion from the 4K master to create these accompanying 'remastered' BDs. But I've seen weird clipping, colors, poor compression, and/or crushed shadows on too many. But fortunately, my set-up is 4K.

Last edited:

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I fully agree however, releasing a new blu might create more problems for them - as some unscrupulous folks might buy the 4k replace the new blu-ray with the old and return it for a refund.

Possibly, but Kino produced a fresh Blu and included it with its 4K release of The Good, the Bad & the Ugly.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
4.8/5 (96%) ain’t good enough for you? I wouldn’t want to be a kid bringing a report card home to you.
"The only minor problem noted involves occasional skin tones, which seem to go off in an odd direction"

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
"The only minor problem noted involves occasional skin tones, which seem to go off in an odd direction"
Which would pretty much how it would look in the real world in a theater(or theatre if you prefer) projected on to a screen.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yesterday, one poster stated it was too grainy and another poster stated it was degrained. Now, RAH states the grain structure is spot on. :laugh: My 4K disc still hasn't arrived, but I'm looking forward to formulating my opinion about this video presentation.:D
It still has odd issues, but light years ahead of the old BD.

One of my favorite films of all time.

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
Another perfect presentation at Radio City where the film should have opened. After the failure there of Henry Orient (which had to really have hurt as it was the Easter show which always had big crowds but not for this apparently) Hill said not another one of his films would play at the Hall. Not sure if the film opened in mono. Certainly did not hear it any other way when it came to the suburbs at the time of its original release. Don't know if Radio City showed a 3 or 4 mag print but the score sounded fantastic.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Another perfect presentation at Radio City where the film should have opened. After the failure there of Henry Orient (which had to really have hurt as it was the Easter show which always had big crowds but not for this apparently) Hill said not another one of his films would play at the Hall. Not sure if the film opened in mono. Certainly did not hear it any other way when it came to the suburbs at the time of its original release. Don't know if Radio City showed a 3 or 4 mag print but the score sounded fantastic.
This has nothing to do with this 4K disc release!

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
Oh but it has everything to do with the 4k release!
You want to create in your home the magic of its best presentation.
That's the entire point!
For instance when I watch Brigadoon done so well on bluray I think well I can get a sense of what it looked like on the expanse of the Music Hall screen. VHS and regular DVD does not do that.
I want the 4k of The Sting to evoke that experience.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
DNR is still evident, and I wish it was gone completely from this release. It is random, and it is minor, but it is there.

This could have been perfect, but for some reason it isn't. Like I said this is still by far the best it has ever looked on home video. I'm happy but just a bit confused as to why the film wasn't handled with the same level of respect throughout the entire film.

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
Doubtful you’ll be disappointed when you watch it. The card game is arguably one of the greatest scenes in any film.

I got the Zavvi Steelbook Edition of this. It comes with a 30 page booklet. Twelve of those pages are the script pages for the card game. I was just going to mention a few things about the 30th Anniversary screening I attended at AMPAS' Goldwyn Theatre in 2003, part of their near two year long screenings of every Best Picture winner, but:

This has nothing to do with this 4K disc release!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Arrived Saturday

20210522_115341.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members