What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
When we were opening Lawrence, I held a dinner one evening that included David Lean, Freddie Young, and two dear cousins from the Colony of Pennsylvania, my paternal home ground.

My cousin, the elder, who is a major force in model aircraft, asked David about his 1952 film, known here as Breaking Through the Sound Barrier, and how he was able to get access to secret British jet aircraft for the production.

The answer, which has now been repeated numerous times...

"My dear, when you know the Queen, nothing is impossible."

The Sound Barrier is one of those films that pre-dates any concern about the different appearance of film stocks, whilst cutting between studio and non-studio shots, so don't allow that to be a bother.

Yet another (I'm loving this) release of a British classic from Kino.

And it looks and sounds superb. There's a bit of movement in the frame, but never a problem. I'm thinking shrinkage.

Imagery is lovely, with a full grayscale, nice blacks, and solid grain.

A terrific David Lean film, shot by Jack Hilyard, who would later shoot Hobson's Choice, Summertime, and that film about the prison camp.

With apologies, yet another, for which (if one can spare the investment in these times) grab a copy.

The ad copy calls it one of the finest aviation films ever made, and I concur.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Without a doubt

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Have the old dvd so this will be a nice upgrade and it would be interesting to watch it with the commentary and BFI archival interview with director David Lean.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Mr. Harris---do you think we will ever get a blu ray of SUMMERTIME? It is such a great film and the dvd is pretty weak by today's standards.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Looks like I'll have to get this.

Apart from Summertime and some rather long film set in Ireland during World War I it looks pretty good for Sir David Lean on Blu-ray.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Can't wait for this...love Ann Todd and Ralph Richardson. I currently have the R2 David Lean DVD set. Films look pretty good, but it's a hassle switching regions on my Oppo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks