What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Sopranos -- in BD & HD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The first element of HBO's new high definition (HD and BD) release of The Sopranos that I noted was the packaging. In today's marketplace, the software has got to catch the eye of the brick and mortar patron, and this will do just that.

The packaging is bright, colorful, but more important, has a quality design. I was surprised, after removing the shrink wrap, to find the outer shell which holds the foldout containing the four discs, is held in place by some sort of magnetic system. Place the discs back in the protective interior of the box, and the end cap neatly snaps back in place -- and stays there.

But somehow I doubt that anyone is clicking on this thread to read about packaging, so...

The BD and HD versions seem to be identical with the exception of uncompressed audio on the BD.

There was momentary concern as the initial credits were running over the Main Title section, as they didn't seem to have the snap and sharpness that we've become used to in HD. I realized that I had nothing to compare to this release except satellite broadcast...

And then the Main Title hit. Sharp as a razor and perfect.

What followed was nothing short of amazing. Those of us who are fans of this show, and I count myself among them, have become used to compressed HD broadcasts, which look far superior to their standard definition counterparts.

These discs are yet another step above. And a huge one. Remove the compression, which is part and parcel of the broadcast, and the images come to life.

For lovers of The Sopranos, HBO's initial venture into the world of high definition home video, will leave only one question to be answered.

When will the earlier seasons arrive?

For The Soprano afficianado, this is "the stuff that dreams are made of."

Extremely Highly Recommended, with huge congratulations to HBO for giving us stunning visual imagery in HD the first time out.

RAH

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My sister gave me the standard def for Christmas, it went back on boxing day =) Still have to get the replacement, guess ith will be the Blu Ray given all other things being equal.

Sam

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Well, I passed on the DVD...might as well try the HD(DVD).

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

As much as I like The Soprano's, at 129.00 retail for what basically amounts to a half season of any other show, I will pass.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As a note, the "first half" of Season 6 runs 720 minutes, while most "entire" Seasons do not run much longer.

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator

Sopranos Season Six. Part 1 HD DVD at Amazon is $90
Just for comparison, the MSRP for the SD is $99.00 (retailing for less)

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
Thought this looked great as well. Don't think I will be replacing my other seasons at that price though. And on the half season thing . . . I noticed the episodes ran a couple of minutes longer than episodes on the average in other seasons. I don't feel cheated in that regard at all, just think the price should be the same as the standard release.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
It is still twice as high as it should be, in either edition.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I just wish the packaging was closer in size to HD-DVD/Blu-ray cases. It looks more like a regular SD-DVD boxset.

TwoKings

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I really want to get this, but I already have the SD version...I really can't wait to see what DEADWOOD will look like on BD.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
If they would have released S1 first, I would have bought. But I really don't want to have just the latest season in HD. I'd rather have them all. Hell, after season 6.2 is done, I'd love to buy a full series set in HD.

Also, buying single movies on HD vs. BD doesn't seem like as big of a rirsk, but plunking down $80$90 for what might be the only hi-def release of this series makes me think twice.

And to get really nitpicky, the overbearing red or blue is too much. It's not bad with the single release spines, but to me the blue spine just isn't right for the Sopranos. The red is much closer, but then again I'd probably want the BD for the uncompressed audio.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
As much as I would love to pick this up, not liking season 6, and the price being just to high are keeping me from pullin the trigger....

JGiampa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Giampa
I purchased the BD version...

While most of you are talking about price and packaging I would like to change the focus to the quality for a bit. I must say that I'm not very impressed. I dont think it looks much better than season 1 or 2 on DVD. The picture quality is grainy most of the time.

Does anyone else have any opinions on the quality of the BD or HDDVD release?

- I am using a PS3 with a Samsung 1080p DLP.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I dont think it looks much better than season 1 or 2 on DVD. The picture quality is grainy most of the time."

That suprising because the HDDVDs have looked better than the HDTV broadcasts and Sopranos looks very good on HBOHD.

JGiampa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Giampa
I agree with some titles that I have on HD or BD that they do look better than the HD broadcasts. Take King Kong on HDDVD, Superman Returns on HDDVD, and Talladega Nights on BD. Obviously I havent seen those same movies on HD broadcast but comparing them to other movies they look amazing.

I havent seen The Sopranos on HDTV (thats why i bought them on BD), but it just didnt blow me away like the other titles I named.

- I would really like to see what The Sopranos look like in HDDVD maybe it looks better than the BD release (kind of like what some were saying about Superman Returns).

Joe

JGiampa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Giampa
Ok, So I watched The Sopranos on a few of my friends HDTVs with my PS3 and there is not as much grain on their sets. After tweaking my monitor for when I watch Sopranos specifically it does look pretty good. So I take back some of what I said about the pic quality.

Im just trying to figure out why the settings on my tv would make The Sopranos look grainy when most other movies look spectacular...hmmm

Joe

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
The menu is sharp.
The title is soft (shot in SD?).
The program itself is POP. Recommended!
The packaging opens up nicely, and seems almost magnetic - way better than DVD casing.

Eric DiPiazza

Stunt Coordinator
I have it on HD DVD and thought the PQ was fantastic. I'm looking foward to see what HBO puts out next. Deadwood, Rome and Band of Brothers would be great. I'd even pick up Carnivàle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks