What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Seven-per-cent Solution -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Feb 8, 1999
Messages
13,608
Real Name
Robert Harris
With Nicholas Meyer adapting his own novel, for director Herbert Ross, we end up with a high quality film, and one that I've enjoyed for decades. Shout Factory's release of the Universal production is actually quite acceptable, even if the transfer may go back a month or so. Apparently with an image harvested from an IP, we have a bit of movement, but an overall decent image, with good color, a bit of requisite grain. Overall very nice, and never digital-looking. Great fun! Great cast! Image - 3 Audio - 4 Recommended. RAH
 

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2006
Messages
22,709
Location
Charlotte, NC
Real Name
Matt Hough
For fans of the original Holmes tales, the book is a really fun read. Meyer really catches the cadence of Doyle's writing style. The movie follows through and is very entertaining even if it does inevitably work a romance in it for Holmes. The delightful Madame's song by Stephen Sondheim "I Never Do Anything Twice" doesn't get its due in the film, but catch it on some of its recorded versions, and it's a very witty and very sophisticated song.
 

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 22, 1999
Messages
8,653
Real Name
Rick
Waiting now for Blu's of MURDER BY DECREE and A STUDY IN TERROR.
 

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
3,558
Location
NJ
Real Name
Ray
I've been meaning to see this for years, but it hasn't been available on Netflix, and the DVD is one of those MOD type things for $20. Good that a nice affordable BD is coming out. I'm a fan of Sherlock Holmes, Nicol Williamson, Robert Duvall, and Vanessa Redgrave so I'm looking forward to it!
 

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2006
Messages
22,709
Location
Charlotte, NC
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Dick
Waiting now for Blu's of MURDER BY DECREE and A STUDY IN TERROR.
I could not agree more. I love both of these Holmes' encounters with Jack the Ripper and would welcome either one or both on Blu-ray. Thankfully, we do have DVDs of them which is some compensation.
 

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Joined
Apr 27, 2000
Messages
1,250
MattH. said:
I could not agree more. I love both of these Holmes' encounters with Jack the Ripper and would welcome either one or both on Blu-ray. Thankfully, we do have DVDs of them which is some compensation.
I should have asked this question more promptly: For A Study in Terror, is the DVD actually the DVD-R I'm finding at various online etailers, or was there an earlier pressed-disc release?
 

ahollis

Premium
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
7,952
Location
New Orleans
Real Name
Allen
Dave B Ferris said:
I should have asked this question more promptly: For A Study in Terror, is the DVD actually the DVD-R I'm finding at various online etailers, or was there an earlier pressed-disc release?
There was not a pressed DVD of this title in Region 1. Sony talked about it but never announced it. The transfer was very good so I assumed that they produced the transfer used for the DVD-r in anticipation of a pressed release. If possible the transfer appeared good enough for a Blu.
 

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Joined
Apr 27, 2000
Messages
1,250
ahollis said:
There was not a pressed DVD of this title in Region 1. Sony talked about it but never announced it. The transfer was very good so I assumed that they produced the transfer used for the DVD-r in anticipation of a pressed release. If possible the transfer appeared good enough for a Blu.
Thank you. From a purely selfish standpoint, I'm glad I did not miss-out on a pressed release.
 

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2007
Messages
3,215
Real Name
Joe Hudak
ahollis said:
There was not a pressed DVD of this title in Region 1. Sony talked about it but never announced it. The transfer was very good so I assumed that they produced the transfer used for the DVD-r in anticipation of a pressed release. If possible the transfer appeared good enough for a Blu.
Well, it's Sony. Almost all of their recent transfers, MOD or otherwise, are very good.
 

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Oct 5, 1998
Messages
10,825
Location
Boise, ID
Real Name
Dennis
Two of my favorite films, The Seven-per-cent Solution and Exodus, were originally given two of the worst DVD transfers: non-anamorphic letterbox or full-frame transfers that were horrible to view.

I finally picked up this Blu-Ray and have casually watched through it. Certainly it seems much improved, as does the recently-acquired Australian import Blu-Ray of Exodus. These releases were made by Shout and Shock, respectively.
 

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 22, 1999
Messages
8,653
Real Name
Rick
Matt Hough said:
For fans of the original Holmes tales, the book is a really fun read. Meyer really catches the cadence of Doyle's writing style.
Nicolas Meyer's second Holmes novel, The West End Horror, was a pale shadow of his first. He should have quit while he was ahead. The film community obviously agreed...it was never made into a movie.
 

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2006
Messages
22,709
Location
Charlotte, NC
Real Name
Matt Hough
Dick said:
Nicolas Meyer's second Holmes novel, The West End Horror, was a pale shadow of his first. He should have quit while he was ahead. The film community obviously agreed...it was never made into a movie.
I agree. Not nearly as much fun though it was a best seller. He stopped there with the Holmes books, didn't he, or did miss any follow-ups?
 

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
May 5, 2003
Messages
203
The Canary Trainer, 1993, W W Norton (hardcover), 1995 (same publisher, trade paperback). Holmes is in Paris, "commissioned to protect a vulnerable young soprano, whose beautiful voice obsesses a creature no one believes is real...."

Couldn't give you a critique, because it's probably been twenty years since I read it - but it's still on the shelf here along with first ed's of the others.
 

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2006
Messages
22,709
Location
Charlotte, NC
Real Name
Matt Hough
Dave Jessup said:
The Canary Trainer, 1993, W W Norton (hardcover), 1995 (same publisher, trade paperback). Holmes is in Paris, "commissioned to protect a vulnerable young soprano, whose beautiful voice obsesses a creature no one believes is real...."

Couldn't give you a critique, because it's probably been twenty years since I read it - but it's still on the shelf here along with first ed's of the others.
Thanks. I'll check that out.
 

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 22, 1999
Messages
8,653
Real Name
Rick
Matt Hough said:
I agree. Not nearly as much fun though it was a best seller. He stopped there with the Holmes books, didn't he, or did miss any follow-ups?
No follow-ups. That was it.
 

Bob Cashill

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2001
Messages
3,630
The problem with West End as a film was that Murder by Decree explored the same terrain around the same time.
 

CinemaCynic

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Apr 14, 2014
Messages
62
Real Name
Matt
Dick said:
Waiting now for Blu's of MURDER BY DECREE and A STUDY IN TERROR.
The latter is avail in the UK, may even be region free tho I haven't tested it. Looks great!

Of additional note, the Hammer 'Hound' was released on Blu in Australia recently, looks absolutely superb! Also to be released shorty down under is a PAL dvd of the 1982 BBC adaptation of 'Hound' with Tom Baker.

'Murder by Decree' is begging for a blu upgrade, just hope whoever gets to it doesn't put out an inferior transfer like Kino did with 'Private Life.'
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
346,036
Messages
4,764,448
Members
141,646
Latest member
SmCaudata
Top