What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
Noir Voyeur said:
...This film has one of the most intriguing titles of all films...
The novella upon which the film is based was written in Japanese, and losing things in translation may account for the awkwardness of the title in English. I remember reading the book many years ago for a college literature class. I don't remember much about it, but I do remember thinking it better than the film. The author, Yukio Mishima, was an intriguing individual who took his own life via seppuku, reputedly after a failed coup intended to restore power to the Emperor.
I also remember that when the film was released there was much controversy surrounding rumors that the the lovemaking scenes went beyond simulation. Quite shocking back in 1976 for a "mainstream" production, and true or not I'm sure the rumors didn't hurt ticket sales.

Noir Voyeur

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick Simon
JamesNelson said:
The novella upon which the film is based was written in Japanese, and losing things in translation may account for the awkwardness of the title in English.
I wouldn't say the film's title is awkward, far from it. The literal translation of the original Mishima novella, according to Wikipedia, is "The Afternoon Towing" ... and I'm struggling to think of a less evocative title! It seems we have translator John Nathan to thank for the revised title "The Sailor..." but the producers of the film deserve credit too, for not trying to change it again.

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
Noir Voyeur said:
I wouldn't say the film's title is awkward, far from it. The literal translation of the original Mishima novella, according to Wikipedia, is "The Afternoon Towing" ... and I'm struggling to think of a less evocative title! It seems we have translator John Nathan to thank for the revised title "The Sailor..." but the producers of the film deserve credit too, for not trying to change it again.
"Awkward" was probably a poor choice of words on my part. Perhaps "unconventional" might be more accurate? I certainly think it is poetic and completely befitting of the book's and movie's themes. I didn't know that the title was not a literal translation from the Japanese. I had always assumed it was.
In any case, I think I need to revisit the novella, but sadly, based on the reports, will not be purchasing the BD.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Was flipping through channels this evening and this film popped up. It must be the same master Shout! used, because the colour is awful, zero shadow detail, and more speckles than a dozen quail eggs. I lost interest due to the crappy master.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I believe this is a StudioCanal title, meaning the licence for North America would reside either with Lionsgate or MGM, as it was released by Avco Embassy in North America.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I don't think StudioCanal has anything to do with this one. My guess is either Lionsgate or Image Entertainment, given that Image released the now OOP DVD edition.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
320321f7f6ea85551ca6a9a3c28a4c5d.jpg

I just purchased this four weeks ago from Amazon. I have a friend that is battling cancer and this is her favorite picture. We haven't looked at it yet but we have plans next week. I'm sure she will enjoy it.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Very interesting copyright notice to The Sailor Company - whatever that is, I'm not sure that's who owns the film NOW - if anyone owns the film NOW. I wonder if they forgot to register the copyright back then. That's been my suspicion all along.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
haineshisway said:
For anyone who has this disc - from whom did Shout Factory license it?
The Image DVD was licensed from Castle Hill, according to its back cover. Castle Hill seems to have (or at least did have at one time) several Avco Embassy-distributed pictures from the mid-1970s, including PIPE DREAMS and DEADLY HERO.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Ah, Castle Hill, that's the one. Couldn't come up with the name. In the early days of HD transition, they've been semi-notorious for sticking to old SD transfers. Criterion has since licensed some of their stuff but otherwise I don't think they're putting serious effort in updating their video masters to HD ones to this day.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
In that case, hopefully that can issue a true remastering of the film sometime in the future.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Yes, Shout Factory bought the Westchester library, but the majority of those titles are already tied up in existing licenses to many labels - Criterion has the prime stuff like the Cassavetes films and B&W classics from the Caidin Trust, while Hen's Tooth, Code Red, Scorpion, and Kino Lorber have been picking up others. I believe SAILOR was acquired by Shout before they decided to buy the company outright.

Since many Westchester titles have gone through multiple owners before reaching them, they are often times deficient in having quality elements.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Looks like Scorpion Releasing is going to take a crack at this
The original camera negs have been sent for me to take a look at to see if I could improve on a beautifully shot, but disturbing, 1976 drama based on a classic Japanese novel that I'm a big fan of. The old Blu-Ray that came out 6 years ago was not well-received, so I want to see if I can make this film a lot better with today's technology. More info to follow.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Looks like Scorpion Releasing is going to take a crack at this

If an entity holds the OCN, there is nothing to take a crack at. Even the most basic HD telecine, on an aged piece of equipment, operated by someone on the first day of a new job, would succeed.

It’s then in the hands of a colorist.

Last edited:

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Any more news of this? I was thinking about picking up something, even the crappy blu ray. all I have a VHS.
Unfortunately, no. If you are on Facebook you could ask them if they have any news (I'm not, or I'd ask myself.)

Scratch that, last month,he did offer an update on the Blu-ray.com forum.
Ran into some issues as I scanned the original negative and it turned out the original negative was a checkerboard a / B roll which means you have to scan the film twice and then hire an Editor to put it together those take a long time to work on

plus trying to do this one extra has taken a lot longer than we anticipated

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks