What's new

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I have the original Criterion Blu ray… don’t need to upgrade to the new 4K to get a new Blu ray, or will the Blu ray disc be identical to the original?

I see no indications that the included Blu-ray has been "upgraded" from the 2010 release.

Both that BD and the 4K come from the same transfer. Seriously doubt Criterion would bother with new BDs taken from the same material used 11 years ago.

I watched the "new" BD and detected no signs that it was a 2021 release.

If Criterion "upgraded" the BD, they'd put it out on its own, wouldn't they?

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I see no indications that the included Blu-ray has been "upgraded" from the 2010 release.

Both that BD and the 4K come from the same transfer. Seriously doubt Criterion would bother with new BDs taken from the same material used 11 years ago.

I watched the "new" BD and detected no signs that it was a 2021 release.

If Criterion "upgraded" the BD, they'd put it out on its own, wouldn't they?
Thank you!

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
So not upgrade worthy from Blu unless new extras are wanted?. In that case a pass for me. Sounds like a film that needs an entirely new scan/transfer due to technological advancements since the last transfer.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
So not upgrade worthy from Blu unless new extras are wanted?. In that case a pass for me. Sounds like a film that needs an entirely new scan/transfer due to technological advancements since the last transfer.

There are no new supplemental materials on the 4K.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
There are no new supplemental materials on the 4K.
Not saying there are - just quoting the RAH reason to upgrade as the only reason for. I’m assuming their on the blu.

Mr Harris- are the extras you’re referring to new supplements? Or upticks on the 4K image?

Last edited:

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
My copy of the 4K disc came yesterday. Haven't watched it yet, but I have been impressed with Criterion's 4K UHD releases so far, and I was initially excited for this one because of the 3 strip Technicolor, so looking forward to that "touch of extra something"

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Not saying there are - just quoting the RAH reason to upgrade as the only reason for. I’m assuming their on the blu.

Mr Harris- are the extras you’re referring to new supplements? Or upticks on the 4K image?

Dunno what RAH meant by "the extras", but again: there's nothing new in this set.

Same bonus features as the Blu-ray.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I'm happy with the current release - beautiful English Technicolor of the 1940s. Which raises the question: why did English Technicolor look different from American Technicolor of the same period? Witness Black Narcissus, Thief of Bagdad, A Matter of Life and Death, etc. I've heard that it could be because of the iron-rich water at the British Technicolor London laboratory. Or perhaps the hazy English atmosphere (which may explain outdoor scenes). Does anybody know why?
I have an opinion on this that isn't so much technical as creative. I think their (Powell and Pressburger's) choices for cinematography, art direction, costume and make-up were more dream-like, saturated and stylized. Their style is very singular and unique.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I’m dying for UK Studio Canal to release a 4K for Tales of Hoffmann. I think that would look brilliant on 4K.

I’m sure sales for older 4Ks of The LadyKillers & The Servant did well, esp Limited Ed packaging.
While I love most Powell and Pressburger movies, the only one which would have me jumping to UHD would be 'tales of Hoffmann' with its exemplary casting adding to its surrealistic imagery,... we should all dance on water-lilies!

Maybe they're just waiting for me to import the existing BD from the UK. That seems to have become a thing w/ me, LOL... though this pandemic seems to be blocking the way... :unsure::lol:

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks