What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Punisher -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Being unfamiliar with Marvel's The Punisher, which was released in 2004, I expected some sort of super-hero, crime genre, thriller.

Nope.

While it makes for a pretty 4k UHD Blu-ray, the film is a relentlessly dark, unappealing, revenge film, which I can only presume had it's routes as a graphic novel.

There's a subplot with Ben Foster, John Pinette and Rebecca Romijn, formerly Rebecca Romihn-Stamos, that extends the film, and seems to go for a bit of humor, which never works.

I can only believe that this sounded great in pitch sessions.

"And we can get Roy Scheider to play Thomas Jane's dad!"

Terrific Dolby Atmos audio track, for Dolby Atmos completists.

Image - 5 (HDR 10 / Dolby Vision)

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I went to the theater when this was released. The sound was only coming from the left speakers and the picture wasn't all that great. When I watched the home version, the sound wasn't much better having all channels working, it seemed like a blanket was over my speakers. Don't recall the PQ. But when you say the Atmos track is "terrific" I may actually have to check this 4k out, just so I can experience this movie with good sound.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Well this is a remake of the original 1989 version of the movie. It is a dark revenge story not your typical super hero's movie.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Of the three theatrical features devoted to The Punisher, this one is my favourite, if only for the following scene:
Frank Castle engages in a little sadism by "torturing" Micky Duka with a Popsicle, leading Micky to believe he's actually burning him with an iron using a blowtorch and a steak just out of Micky's view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks