What's new

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I got mine today. I just sampled it. I had to put the machine on pause and find sunglasses. I mean, I love the boisteriousness of it; from now on, this will be my go-to wake-up aid in the morning instead of espresso, as it's quicker. But was it this bright in first release? I thought original three-strip nitrate prints were somewhat muted. Don't get me wrong. It's magnificent. The colors are so sublime, I haven't been able to pay attention to anything else. And there's a huge variety of shades. The production design and the costumes are beyond impressive. Oh, wait! There's actors. But who cares about them? It's similar to "Robin Hood" but much more dazzling and detailed. And way brighter. Oh, and the clarity of the Korngold score is to die for. It sounds live, like the orchestra is in the room with me.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I got mine today with Escape From Fort Bravo. :D Elizabeth and Essex looks like it was made Yesterday ! :oops: Yes, it looks that Good. As soon as that Special WB shield came on the screen I got Chills all over. WOW ! is this ever a Gorgeous transfer. The Technicolor is just Amazing !! :D Yesterday I got The Sting 4K UHD. It looks like a VHS videotape compared to Eliz & Essex. Fort Bravo looks very Nice also. :) Very Good western directed by John Sturges. Here are some photos.
DSC00439.JPG
DSC00440.JPG

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I got mine today with Escape From Fort Bravo. :D Elizabeth and Essex looks like it was made Yesterday ! :oops: Yes, it looks that Good. As soon as that Special WB shield came on the screen I got Chills all over. WOW ! is this ever a Gorgeous transfer. The Technicolor is just Amazing !! :D Yesterday I got The Sting 4K UHD. It looks like a VHS videotape compared to Eliz & Essex. Fort Bravo looks very Nice also. :) Very Good western directed by John Sturges. Here are some photos. View attachment 97680 View attachment 97681
Warner Archive Blu-rays come with inserts now??? Are they booklets or just cards?

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Warner Archive Blu-rays come with inserts now??? Are they booklets or just cards?
I print them myself to decorate the inside of the case with the Poster Art. Been doing it for a few years now. I Love my movie collection and I like to make them look special. :) I also do the covers and make Slipcases for certain ones.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Mine did not arrive yesterday. I received a "shipment delayed" email from Amazon. We have had continuous rain since Sunday (with rain in the forecast through next Wednesday), so probably weather-related.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I got mine today. I just sampled it. I had to put the machine on pause and find sunglasses. I mean, I love the boisteriousness of it; from now on, this will be my go-to wake-up aid in the morning instead of espresso, as it's quicker. But was it this bright in first release? I thought original three-strip nitrate prints were somewhat muted. Don't get me wrong. It's magnificent. The colors are so sublime, I haven't been able to pay attention to anything else. And there's a huge variety of shades. The production design and the costumes are beyond impressive. Oh, wait! There's actors. But who cares about them? It's similar to "Robin Hood" but much more dazzling and detailed. And way brighter. Oh, and the clarity of the Korngold score is to die for. It sounds live, like the orchestra is in the room with me.
Original prints were muted and warm.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Original prints were muted and warm.
Yeah. I know. I would have preferred that, as I thought I made clear. I never saw a nitrate print of this, but I've seen enough to know what it might have looked like. It should have the quality of a 18th Century French landscape, subtle in tone but rich in detail. The longer you look, the more you see. But it didn't hit you over the head with brightness and shimmer, the way this does. AS the Zen Master says to Mifune in "Samurai II", "You are decidedly too strong." This Blu is too bright considering the way the prints must have looked. People dismiss Natalie Kalmus, and her obsession with muted colors, but I think she had the right idea. It's more painterly, the colors take root inside you, tonalities are revealed as the scene progresses. Beauty is subtle. That said, this Blu-Ray has its own kind of beauty, but I would have preferred it looking golden and muted, like an original nitrate three-strip print.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks