What's new

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Yes, the two I'd love out of that lot are, They Died With Their Boots On & Gentleman Jim (I haven't seen that one since the early sixties), but who am I kidding, I'd buy the others as well. I'd also like, The Master Of Ballantrae (1953), it plays out like a pirate film, & I always enjoy it (although Errol Flynn looks about 95 in it). Oh well, wait & hope.
I would Love to see... San Antonio, Montana, Don Juan, and Ballantrae all in Technicolor ! :) Released on Bluray looking as good as Elizabeth & Essex. ;) That would be Nice. Capt. Blood & Brigade should have been released already. :confused:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I remember it, too. I don't think I ever saw the proper titles until the VHS era. It was always Elizabeth the Queen on local TV presentations.
Several movies had their names changed when they first aired on TV. Some like "Rose Marie" (1934) became "Indian Love Call" to avoid confusion with a remake. "The Barretts of Wimpole Street "(1934) was another film remade that had it's name changed on TV though I can't remember the name. Others I have no idea why the name was changed but they were based on plays. "No Time For Comedy" became "A Guy With A Grin" and "Voice Of The Turtle" became "One For The Book"

Better to have a name change then just remove the original film from circulation which happened to "Showboat" (1936) and Roberta (1935) when MGM remade them. MGM bought the old films when they obtained remake rights and then just didn't allow them to be shown for a number of years.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Several movies had their names changed when they first aired on TV. Some like "Rose Marie" (1934) became "Indian Love Call" to avoid confusion with a remake. "The Barretts of Wimpole Street "(1934) was another film remade that had it's name changed on TV though I can't remember the name. Others I have no idea why the name was changed but they were based on plays. "No Time For Comedy" became "A Guy With A Grin" and "Voice Of The Turtle" became "One For The Book"

Better to have a name change then just remove the original film from circulation which happened to "Showboat" (1936) and Roberta (1935) when MGM remade them. MGM bought the old films when they obtained remake rights and then just didn't allow them to be shown for a number of years.
Tangential to the thread, but as an FYI and off the top of my head:
Madame X (1929) became Absinthe when the '37 remake hit.
When Ladies Meet (1933) turned into Strange Skirts when it was remade as a Garson/Crawford vehicle.
The New Moon (1930) metamorphosed into a Parisian Belle, although the story takes place in the Russian steppes and there is not a Parisian anyone.
The Maltese Falcon (1931) transformed itself into a Dangerous Female.
And so on...

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Warner Archive is releasing The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, a magnificently produced 1939 classic on Blu-ray, and the results, along with The Yearling (also being released) produced seven years later, will knock your socks off.

I'm referencing absolute perfection.

The the very special opening Warner logo to the production footage, this is an almost unworldly release.

Seeing the early three-strip process in this way is something devoutly to be wished. Only a dozen features were produced in three-strip in 1939, and only two from Warner Bros. Interestingly the other also stars Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland, who as some may recall appeared together in three-strip a year earlier.

That must be some kind of record.

The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex is a costume drama in overdrive, that may appear stagey, but makes sense, as it's based upon a stage play that's been opened up.

Just go with this one - as well as The Yearling, for which one is best to have some brand of absorbent paper product ready to wipe one's eyes.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Better believe it!

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

great review as always, and nice to know that this is one of those that every cinephile should have, did make one small change to that review , hard not to use her name, as she shines in this so well. :D

Upgrade from DVD – Bette - r believe it!

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt

I believe The Barretts of Wimpole Street (1934) became Forbidden Alliance for TV airings.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Fox’s 1945 ‘State Fair” became “It Happened One Summer“ for TV after their remake in 1962.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Why do we keep showing the lead picture to all articles related to this title in B&W when the majority of the discussion is about the picture perfection of the glorious technicolor?
A bit odd as I don’t recall any other color film referenced pictorially in this manner at HTF?

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Here you are - lips like cherries, wig-hair like fire!

The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex5.jpg

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
One more retitling I remember: the 1934 The Merry Widow became The Lady Dances for TV, to "avoid confusion" with the 1952 version.

To get back to topic, I've ordered this Blu-Ray and can't wait for it to arrive. In the meantime, I keep looking at the clip on YouTube, and gawking at how spectacular it is. It makes The Adventures of Robin Hood look pale and gray!

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
One more retitling I remember: the 1934 The Merry Widow became The Lady Dances for TV, to "avoid confusion" with the 1952 version.

To get back to topic, I've ordered this Blu-Ray and can't wait for it to arrive. In the meantime, I keep looking at the clip on YouTube, and gawking at how spectacular it is. It makes The Adventures of Robin Hood look pale and gray!
Robin Hood needs a New Remaster Upgrade for sure. Can't wait for mine also. :) I know when I get mine and pop it in the first words out of my mouth will be....Wow ! Oh my God.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Robin Hood needs a New Remaster Upgrade for sure. Can't wait for mine also. :) I know when I get mine and pop it in the first words out of my mouth will be....Wow ! Oh my God.

Just got my copy from Amazon! Surprised its not in the machine yet!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Just got my copy from Amazon! Surprised its not in the machine yet!

Please delete trouble with my PC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks