What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Tay Garnett's 1946 M-G-M take on James M. Cain's The Postman Always Rings Twice, goes about as far as a steamy noir could in 1946, but it still works today.

The new Blu-ray from Warner Bros. is a gorgeous thing to behold.

While the original DVD was based upon problematic elements, the Blu-ray is new from the ground up.

Presumed lost in the Eastman House fire c. 1978, along with a myriad of other M-G-M properties, the original negative was located during a post 1997 inventory. While the Technicolor productions were dealt with during the Turner days, with preservation continually on-going, it was not until the library moved to Warner, that the entire black & white library received a re-evaluation and re-inventory. And it was during that period that some titles, earlier thought lost, were located in Rochester.

Postman was one of those films.

A new wet-gate fine grain master was produced, and it is that element, which is virtually transparent to the original, that has been used as the basis of this new Blu-ray.

You can visit Ken McAlinden's fine review here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/325502/the-postman-always-rings-twice-1946-blu-ray-review

for more details about the production.

The image harvest is a stellar affair, with original grain in evidence, as well as a number of field enlargements, similar to what was performed for Mockingbird, when taken footage wasn't enough to fill editorial needs. These dupes have a decidedly different look, but are as they were in 1946. The only change that I'm able to find is a beautiful rendering and balancing of the built-in duped printer functions, which have lost their normal "pop," as dissolves hit the screen, and have become far more transparent. This is a good thing.

The Postman Always Rings Twice is a beautifully rendered Blu-ray, which very nicely reproduces the original look of this important film.

Only negative for me are the window-boxed main titles, for which I'll deduct half a point.

Image - 4

Audio - 4.5

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
This is a title I had to hold back on but will purchase soon on BLU. I remember when this title was released on DVD as part of a Warner poll to get it released for DVD.
In regards to the window boxing of opening credits on classic films like this one what do you think is the reasoning for it? While it doesn't bother me as much as others it is kind of an odd thing to do with the films transfer. (But mess with the films original opening logos I will be the first to yell about it the loudest so I respect the lowering of he films rating with changes like window boxing and logo changes I would do the same)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger /t/325516/a-few-words-about-the-postman-always-rings-twice-1946-in-blu-ray#post_4005935
This is a title I had to hold back on but will purchase soon on BLU. I remember when this title was released on DVD as part of a Warner poll to get it released for DVD.
In regards to the window boxing of opening credits on classic films like this one what do you think is the reasoning for it? While it doesn't bother me as much as others it is kind of an odd thing to do with the films transfer. (But mess with the films original opening logos I will be the first to yell about it the loudest so I respect the lowering of he films rating with changes like window boxing and logo changes I would do the same)
Catering to those with non-digital TV sets.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/325516/a-few-words-about-the-postman-always-rings-twice-1946-in-blu-ray#post_4005937
Catering to those with non-digital TV sets.
Have you talked to your studio sources as to why they keep window-boxing these opening credits?

Crawdaddy

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'm surprised as all get out (and I think we all know how surprised all get out is - constantly) that this is from a camera negative. I wasn't that impressed with this transfer, frankly. Go know.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
haineshisway said:
I'm surprised as all get out (and I think we all know how surprised all get out is - constantly) that this is from a camera negative. I wasn't that impressed with this transfer, frankly. Go know.
Fine grain

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden /t/325502/the-postman-always-rings-twice-1946-blu-ray-review#post_4005627

... It is unlikely that any part of the source element used for this presentation was within two generations of the original negative...

... Given that the negative is likely lost to the dustbin of history...
Shows you what I know.

The grain looked so much more coarse than on similar era titles I have seen derived from ONs that I incorrectly assumed they could not have started with anything higher than a dupe or IN when making the element for transfer. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As usual, I'm late to the party (very late in the case of this release), but I thought the transfer looked splendid, and I really enjoyed watching this after not seeing it for many, many years.

I also enjoyed the Lana Turner biography extra, too. I'll watch the Garfield one tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks