What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Penalty -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
George Eastman House is the repository for some of our greatest nitrate treasures, and works hard to see that they're preserved, restored, and made available.

Kino's The Penalty (1920), is derived from a beautiful 35mm source courtesy of GEH, and viewing its 87 minutes, replete with original tinting is like traveling back in time.

Lon Chaney, whose career is sometimes presumed to include two or three films from the 1920s -- everyone is aware of The Phantom of the Opera and The Hunchback of Notre Dame -- but, beginning in 1912, he had over 160 films (many shorts) to his credit, before he made his final film, the talkie version of The Unholy Three in 1930.

One of the earlier of his more famous appearances, The Penalty allows more than of glimpse of what was to come from the extremely talented artist. A Goldwyn Production, the film also carries with it enough requisite quality to allow it to stand the test of time as entertainment, as opposed to simply being antique cinema.

The Blu-ray offers, as extras, a quality featurette discussing Chaney's background and make-up expertise, along with a display of artifacts; surviving footage of The Miracle Man (1919), and Chaney's 1914 western short, By the Sun's Rays, his 30th film.

Image - 4

Recommended.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Chaney was only 47 when he died. It would've been interesting to see what Thalberg had in mind with him for MGM sound films.

Crawdaddy

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Glad to see your thoughts, and it's on my "order soon" list. One of my favorite Chaney films, and better than many of his more famous MGM films from later in the '20s.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I was happily ignoring this title in order to give my wallet a rest but now you've intrigued me. CURSES! ;)

thanks for the review as always.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks