What's new

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
June is bustin’ out all over.

Calling Thomas T.:D
But thankfully for June - they invented Depends - which might have been better for her sister who ended up working with co-workers who had somebody's hands up their butts ;)

1611721543531.png

Vern Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
I just watched "The Pajama Game" the other night.

Did anyone else think that the skin tones on the early interior shots were a just little on the ruddy side?

Other than that minor niggle, I can't believe that the restoration / transfer teams were able to get such unbelievably deep and vibrant colors from the WarnerColor source materials on this release.

Congrats to the entire team. :cheers:

Reactions: PMF

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
My delivery has been delayed a couple of days. Oh, well. Guess I’ll just have to make small talk for a little while longer.

Reactions: PMF

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
My delivery has been delayed a couple of days. Oh, well. Guess I’ll just have to make small talk for a little while longer.
As long as it's not about Bawwwlzack ;)

Just remember "if you don't have anything nice to say" ... come an sit over by me ;).

Last edited:

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Watching PAJAMA GAME last night I realized why John Raitt never had never had much of a film career.

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
I keep saying Gordon Macrae would have been perfect in the role and Shirley Maclaine should have been Gladys. A bit more movie star power and charm would have turned it up a couple of notches. It would have been more memorable than it is. It also should have been filmed in stereo but Warner was having an economy drive. Sinatra would have been good too though I can't imagine an unknown Sinatra turning all those women's heads in a factory.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
I keep saying Gordon Macrae would have been perfect in the role and Shirley Maclaine should have been Gladys. A bit more movie star power and charm would have turned it up a couple of notches. It would have been more memorable than it is. It also should have been filmed in stereo but Warner was having an economy drive. Sinatra would have been good too though I can't imagine an unknown Sinatra turning all those women's heads in a factory.
I think some first run venues had stereo prints but they’ve been lost.

MarkA

Second Unit
Watching PAJAMA GAME last night I realized why John Raitt never had never had much of a film career.
He is pretty stiff and many of his lines, especially during songs, are awfully wooden which is surprising since he performed it many times on Broadway.

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
In an evening with Stanley Donen I went to he himself said due to the budget it was not filmed in stereo. Oddly even his Funny Face from earlier in the year does not seem to have been filmed in stereo.

A performance on a stage is not going to necessarily translate well to the screen which is why Carol Channing created two of the most famous characters on stage in a musical comedy and got neither role on film. And then there are the cases of Martin and Merman. Day really needed another movie star to play next to or else it throws the relationship out of whack.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
In an evening with Stanley Donen I went to he himself said due to the budget it was not filmed in stereo. Oddly even his Funny Face from earlier in the year does not seem to have been filmed in stereo.

A performance on a stage is not going to necessarily translate well to the screen which is why Carol Channing created two of the most famous characters on stage in a musical comedy and got neither role on film. And then there are the cases of Martin and Merman. Day really needed another movie star to play next to or else it throws the relationship out of whack.
Oddly - Merman's last theatrical film performance was in Pajamas -
1611862518965.png
:cool:

Mark Mayes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Mayes
Raitt does that throw-your-arms-outward singing that worked for the stage (Harve Presnell does the same kind of performing.)
I think he does a great job, but I noticed as I watched this, he has little fluidity in his facial expressions. He conveys everything he should, however it's not a "screen" performance.
McRae would have been a very good alternative.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'm not quite sure how to process just how great this looks. I mean, GREAT. I doubt the release prints looked this good. Faces are not too ruddy in the first scenes, they're just right. The camera hates Mr. Raitt and it's not a love affair with Miss Haney, either. And I have never understood Eddie Foy, Jr. But those are the nitpicks. The score is wonderful, the orchestrations by Riddle and Bregman are terrific, too. Fosse, in the group numbers, was a little too busy, but there he is in full flower as a choreographer with Steam Heat. But that color, the sharpness, it's just astounding.

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
You people are SO LUCKY to be getting this so fast. I'll have to wait a couple of weeks at least, by which time I could have watched it a few times already. What a waste of my valuable time....

I ordered mine two days ago and got it this afternoon. Who did you order it from?

Not only do you see Harvey Evans throughout the film(I saw him first as Young Buddy in Follies) but you also see Bob Banas and it's not even listed on his IMDB. Both alive. I saw Evans last as DeMille in Sunset Boulevard with Betty Buckley. Time and tide wait for no man.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
I'm not a fan of cross-posting, but I posted these thoughts tonight in the "Daily Viewing" thread about The Pajama Game:

Peg and I had heard a lot about this musical. We LOVE the other major Adler/Ross musical--Damn YANKEES. But, we had never seen The Pajama Game.

So we watched it. We enjoyed it...to a point. There were definite similarities in some of the songs (with the songs of Damn Yankees). It was colorful and energetic. But the songs and story just weren't that good. Most of the cast was good. To me, John Raitt was a letdown. Peg liked him well enough.

But while some of the songs are really good and certifiable hits, they didn't really seem to advance the story and the scenes didn't really gel into a cohesive and/or interesting story.

And that scene in which the shop foreman was throwing knives at his girlfriend, co-workers and boss was out and out scary (but I think it was supposed to be funny). Maybe it's a victim of the times.
And after reading what Bruce wrote about Fosse, I am reminded that it also struck us that some of the dances (especially at the picnic) were outright embarrassing.

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
As already said the whole thing with the knives in the second half where he runs after Gladys throwing them...well I don't know what's the point. It's not only silly but unpleasant. Outside of filling up time it serves no purpose either as drama or humor. The old vaudevillian Eddie Foy Jr is really a psycho? She really wants to end up with him? They could have used a song like Her Is and given Hernando's Hideaway a big tango number to fill time. It starts so beautifully with all the matches lighting up the screen and builds then for some reason it dies a quick death.

Last edited:

Mark B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I was in a production of Pajama Game in 1985. The knife scene brought the house down. I think with this film I am glad to have known the play first. There are a lot of bits and pieces missing in the film, like the Prez character being sized down to a practical cameo. However, when taking into consideration the typical Broadway to Hollywood conversion, Pajama Game comes out in very good shape. It is one of the most faithful to its source material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamTheater_74